Sith Inquisitor story vs. Sith Warrior (SPOILERS)

Esbia

I rolled my main as a Sith Assassin and so had to endure the Sith inquisitor story. Since I am not one for making alts I decided to watch the Sith Warrior story in its entirety on Youtube. Before I saw the Sith Warrior story arc I was underwhelmed by the Inquisitor arc, but not too bothered. After having seen the Sith Warrior arc, I must say I am very disappointed to put it mildly. The Warrior story completely obliterates the Inquisitor story by light years. How can there be such disparity in narrative in the same game? It feels like Bioware's A team wrote the Warrior arc while the interns wrote the Inquisitor story.

Let me basically summarize the essential differences.

In the Inquisitor story you end up becoming the ***** of some Lord Granny nobody who has so little power that she desires to take over your body for herself. You spend around 60% of the story arc running around looking for holocrons for some ****** reason you don't care about for the aforementioned nobody. In the meantime you are presented with very thinly written excuses of a story about your companions so that they can be elbowed into the main quest. No real character development is presented and the narrative expansion is minimal. The companion stories feel mostly disjointed from the main narrative arc. The only companion who has some awesomity (yes I just made that up), Khem Vahl ends up being bound to the nobody granny who despite the fact that you defeat, you cannot get rid of for the rest of the story. Then a Sith Council member comes out of nowhere to try to kill you for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Because no character development or narrative expansion has been done, you neither despise this new enemy nor are particularly enamoured by him. So the rest of the narrative is spent trying to kill this other nobody you don't care about just to get a seat on the Council. The end. Oh by the way I forgot, you're so freaking weak and meaningless, you cannot defeat this nobody on your own and need the help of ghosts. Oh great!!

The Warrior story couldn't be more different. Your nemesis from the beginning is intriguing and enigmatic; firstly because his true identity is hidden by a menacing mask but also because of some excellent voice acting. Furthermore, unlike with Darth Thanaton (Inq nemesis) who appears out of nowhere and you don't give a **** about, you build a relationship with Baras throughout the story, either growing to hate him making the ending even more satisfying or love him making his betrayal more hurtful. The companion back stories are developed much better in this narrative arc. Two in particular really stick out. You spend quite a lot of your quest chasing the Jedi Padawan and her master which culminates in an epic scene where you get to choose your new companions alignment. Because 25% of the main story arc is spent developing this character's story, by the time you get her you actually give a **** what happens to her. Quinn has another stand out companion narrative. Not only is he a pet like in other MMOs but ends up playing an essential role in the overall plot (his betrayal then redemption etc). This never EVER happens in the inquisitor arc. All your companions do is sit on your ship, tell you where to go etc etc. You never feel like they actually make a difference or even matter. Forget the main story arc which is clearly better written and not stitched together in a disjointed fashion, the actual main character (you) feels *********** ****** with the Sith Warrior. Not only do you never need the help of some ***** ghosts to kill anyone, but by the end you are so powerful, you are literally second in command to only the Emperor himself. Even the Sith Council members are quivering at your presence by the end. And this isn't just to do with the ending and your subsequent rank of Wrath of the Emperor for the last 25% of the arc. Throughout the whole story you feel like a ****** because the arc builds so nicely to make you feel like an unstoppable death machine. You literally feel like the most powerful Sith in the galaxy. I NEVER FELT THAT AS THE INQUISITOR. I always felt like someone's *****, either a ghost or idiotic Sith Lords. Sure you could say that 75% of the warrior story is spent as Baras' *****. But at every turn you can show your defiance and disrespect, and at every turn you are reminded what a worthless fool Baras is without you (the conversation with Vengean sticks in my mind here).

In conclusion, Sith Inquisitor story really sucks compared to Sith Warrior story. Of course there will be devout Inquisitor's who will come on here and claim otherwise, but trust me if you play any other class watch both these stories and you'll get what I mean. Oh well, I guess I'm going back to my *********** nooby council member character who has done nothing to change the galaxy. Not like my Guildmate who is now Wrath of the Emperor and killed the Voice of the Emperor and now can do what the **** he wants in the galaxy.

Edited by Esbia

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree I took the SI to level 50 I only got to level 50 since I like the gameplay so much but storywise I did not feel like darth sidious as bioware said when they hyped up the class. The SI story starts falling flat on its face HARD when you leave korriban. Right now I have a level 34 sith warrior and in the sith warrior story I felt like Darth sidious AND Darth vader as a SW. The SW can lie manipulate try and gain more power behind your master's back and all that other stuff in the SI story its the npc's coming up with all the schemes and manipulations and then its the SI going THATS A GREAT IDEA LETS DO THAT!. The only time I felt like a manipulator was on taris when dealing with ashara and then the story does a cop out and does not even give us the OPTION to make her fall to the dark side like the SW can do with their companion.

Hell the sith warrior can lie, cheat, manipulate and they corrupt force users left right and center the sith warrior was doing everything i expected in the SI story. I heard a rumor that the person who wrote the SI story left bioware to finish college if this is true lets just hope the new writer is better. >_> I even have to say that the BH story is better than the SI one.

Edited by lokdron

The two 'Force focused' classes always felt like the runners up on both factions. The Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior seem to be BioWare's little pet projects story wise, where you rise up to become a Jedi Master/Jedi General who eventually 'kills' The Emperor and essentially the Emperor's right hand man who can do as he pleases because he's just that awesome.

The Consular and Inquisitor feel like they're the "pansies in robes" who play second fiddle to the tough, strong, well built Knights/Warriors in their shining armour and slay the dragon. I reckon since BioWare figured both these two would prove to be the most popular of the classes the most effort went in to making their respective stories feel 'epic'.

Edited by WhoDaresWins

SI=becomes second to One in Empire, major power player

SW=becomes someones *****, no real power

SW=More Powerful at the end???

Now, I haven't played through either story all the way through, but I do remember during the beta SW was too dull to get past Korriban.

SI has been interesting in comparison.

I personally don't like these "do something incredible/become god" type of arguements...I feel like that's what spawns Revan fanboys....

But to each their own. Who knows, maybe SI goes downhill and SW goes uphill. I didn't read the spoiler tag, for obvious reasons.

I played all the way through chapter one as an SI.. and then I became a ghostbuster. I mean what happened to tracking down dark sources of power and ancient artifacts? Nope, my character became Eagon Spengler complete with proton pack. The OP has a point about the "scheming" of an Inquisitor, there is none. Everyone else tells you the plan and you get to follow their orders like a good little pet. I'm rolling a Warrior now, so we'll see how that goes.

I must also agree with you. The Sith Inquisitor story is excruciatingly poor after the end of Chapter 1.

Umm, you have to go round the galaxy in order to eat ghosts so you can kill a Darth who hates you for some reason? It's ridiculous. And this takes up TWO chapters. because every time you meet him you can never quite kill him?

I'm almost certain that what we are playing is NOT the original story line. For a start, it doesn't make sense, there's no characterisation and no sense of build-up - as there is in some of the other stories. Also, in one of the Beta builds...

At the end of Chapter 2, you actually fight and kill Thanaton - not just Rolan. That means there is - or was - a whole other Chapter III we never saw. I wonder why they removed it and, instead, put in this hastily implemented and badly plotted Chapter instead?

I must also agree with you. The Sith Inquisitor story is excruciatingly poor after the end of Chapter 1.

Umm, you have to go round the galaxy in order to eat ghosts so you can kill a Darth who hates you for some reason? It's ridiculous. And this takes up TWO chapters. because every time you meet him you can never quite kill him?

I'm almost certain that what we are playing is NOT the original story line. For a start, it doesn't make sense, there's no characterisation and no sense of build-up - as there is in some of the other stories. Also, in one of the Beta builds...

At the end of Chapter 2, you actually fight and kill Thanaton - not just Rolan. That means there is - or was - a whole other Chapter III we never saw. I wonder why they removed it and, instead, put in this hastily implemented and badly plotted Chapter instead?

Wait what really? I wonder who even wrote the SI story i watch the SI class video and the and I shake my head the SI is nothing like how bioware described story wise. I personally think the story starts falling flat on its face at the end of korriban and darth baras SW master would of been a great master for the SI. Plus it was getting annoying how many times they slap you in the face that someone is going to betray you and when it finally happend it was not even a suprise.

Edited by lokdron

I have to respectfully disagree, both are good stories; the difference is how they start. In the SW story, everybody is kissing your arse from day one, because you are so super duper, and from there is goes into your standard anime-esque nemesis story line...

You: I'm going to be the best SW ever!

Nemesis: No you are not, I am!

You: Grrrrrrrrrrr, we must fight!

Nemesis: So be it!

The SI is different, and that is what makes it more interesting. Unlike the SW, who gets all the fan fare and arse kissing, the SI is treated like trash, with no expectations for success. The Overseer in charge has open contempt for you, and is constantly putting you on suicide missions, hoping you will die along the way; every time you come back successful, it makes him angrier, and more determined to kill you. Eventually you find out that you are not a nobody, and that you have a destiny to restore what rightfully belongs to you. And just when you think you have finally achieved something, you are betrayed by you master, and have to defend yourself.

To get to the same level of respect the SW starts off with, a SI has to be more aggressive, and plays things a little loose when it comes to rules and traditions, and this is frowned upon by Zash's superiors; who you encounter along the way (Darth Scortia), and tell you to back off, or face the consequences. Of course you do not, and the consequences of your actions catches up with you, in the form of Darth Thanaton. You, and Darth Zash were/are making waves, and Thanaton hates that; and so to restore order back to the Sith, you must die. To prevent this, you learn a way to get more power, to stop Thanaton.

SI story line is one of an underdog who fights against the odds. You start off as a nobody, and reach impressive heights; you are a social outcast, with a steep hill to climb to gain the respect of your fellow Sith, and even then there are those that oppose you because of your slave heritage. Thanaton is a continuation of Scortia, the established Sith order, which does not like the presence of low brow trash ascending the Sith ranks.

SI=becomes second to One in Empire, major power player

SW=becomes someones *****, no real power

SW=More Powerful at the end???

Now, I haven't played through either story all the way through, but I do remember during the beta SW was too dull to get past Korriban.

SI has been interesting in comparison.

I personally don't like these "do something incredible/become god" type of arguements...I feel like that's what spawns Revan fanboys....

But to each their own. Who knows, maybe SI goes downhill and SW goes uphill. I didn't read the spoiler tag, for obvious reasons.

you dont know what happened to Revan, besides that link he had( has?) with the Emperor maybe gave him some of The Emperors powers too, Godhood achieved?

I have to respectfully disagree, both are good stories; the difference is how they start. In the SW story, everybody is kissing your arse from day one, because you are so super duper, and from there is goes into your standard anime-esque nemesis story line...

You: I'm going to be the best SW ever!

Nemesis: No you are not, I am!

You: Grrrrrrrrrrr, we must fight!

Nemesis: So be it!

The SI is different, and that is what makes it more interesting. Unlike the SW, who gets all the fan fare and arse kissing, the SI is treated like trash, with no expectations for success. The Overseer in charge has open contempt for you, and is constantly putting you on suicide missions, hoping you will die along the way; every time you come back successful, it makes him angrier, and more determined to kill you. Eventually you find out that you are not a nobody, and that you have a destiny to restore what rightfully belongs to you. And just when you think you have finally achieved something, you are betrayed by you master, and have to defend yourself.

To get to the same level of respect the SW starts off with, a SI has to be more aggressive, and plays things a little loose when it comes to rules and traditions, and this is frowned upon by Zash's superiors; who you encounter along the way (Darth Scortia), and tell you to back off, or face the consequences. Of course you do not, and the consequences of your actions catches up with you, in the form of Darth Thanaton. You, and Darth Zash were/are making waves, and Thanaton hates that; and so to restore order back to the Sith, you must die. To prevent this, you learn a way to get more power, to stop Thanaton.

SI story line is one of an underdog who fights against the odds. You start off as a nobody, and reach impressive heights; you are a social outcast, with a steep hill to climb to gain the respect of your fellow Sith, and even then there are those that oppose you because of your slave heritage. Thanaton is a continuation of Scortia, the established Sith order, which does not like the presence of low brow trash ascending the Sith ranks.

I have only played the SI story line, and I gotta say, even your explanation of it bores me to tears. It's completely unacceptable that I didn't kill Thanaton the 2nd time, I'm sorry.

Ever since that part of the story I've had ZERO motivation to play my sorceror because he's supposed to be this powerful force wielder, but he can't even kill Thanaton while he's cracked out on ghost juice?

The funny thing is I was playing on my Consular and it was exactly the same. Jesus christ is it dull!

To me, the Imperial Agent storyline is awesome, and I feel sorry for anyone picking a class with a sub-par class story.

The part with the overseer is defintiely awesome. The story starts great. There is a reason you want to succeed, just to show this guy that you can and that he has no clue.

But afterwards, the story seems to drift.

Zash's betrayal. Thanatos. The Cult that leads nowhere, basically (i was hoping one of the follow-up mails would create a new quest).

Zash's betrayal also was a little too... predictable, with or without the foreshadowing. It should have come from an unexpected direction.

I also expected the storyline with my third companion to involve a little more... corrupting. She's still a light-sided Jedi and there's no way to change that?

Edited by MustrumRidcully
Spoiler Tag failure

The part with the overseer is defintiely awesome. The story starts great. There is a reason you want to succeed, just to show this guy that you can and that he has no clue.

But afterwards, the story seems to drift.

[sblock]Zash's betrayal. Thanatos. The Cult that leads nowhere, basically (i was hoping one of the follow-up mails would create a new quest).

Zash's betrayal also was a little too... predictable, with or without the foreshadowing. It should have come from an unexpected direction.

I also expected the storyline with my third companion to involve a little more... corrupting. She's still a light-sided Jedi and there's no way to change that?

[/sblock]

Just to make a point, that cult does come into play again when you get to either belsavis or voss. Can't remember which.

The funny thing is I was playing on my Consular and it was exactly the same. Jesus christ is it dull!

I've chosen to play my consular alt dark, hopefully it will spice it up a little. Even if it borks the romance with my nice guy companion. I just can't get through it otherwise, I fall asleep every so often..

My favorite classes, gameplay-wise are the sorcerer and the sage. But the inq companions bore me and the consular story bores me. I hope no offense is taken by Bioware, there are stories and companions and class mechanics that I really do love, I just wish I could squish them all together, haha.

I agree I took the SI to level 50 I only got to level 50 since I like the gameplay so much but storywise I did not feel like darth sidious as bioware said when they hyped up the class. The SI story starts falling flat on its face HARD when you leave korriban. Right now I have a level 34 sith warrior and in the sith warrior story I felt like Darth sidious AND Darth vader as a SW. The SW can lie manipulate try and gain more power behind your master's back and all that other stuff in the SI story its the npc's coming up with all the schemes and manipulations and then its the SI going THATS A GREAT IDEA LETS DO THAT!. The only time I felt like a manipulator was on taris when dealing with ashara and then the story does a cop out and does not even give us the OPTION to make her fall to the dark side like the SW can do with their companion.

Hell the sith warrior can lie, cheat, manipulate and they corrupt force users left right and center the sith warrior was doing everything i expected in the SI story. I heard a rumor that the person who wrote the SI story left bioware to finish college if this is true lets just hope the new writer is better. >_> I even have to say that the BH story is better than the SI one.

^ This I rolled a SI after a sith warrior and the part about aszhrya not being able to be converted to the dark side is just Bull. Listen I love the gameplay but in bioware rpgs I do mainly play for the story.

I haven't seen the warrior story but it does sound way better. With my Inquisitor you always feel like you are someones *****. And if you think of it they tried to warn you about this from the beginning. Your first trainer constantly calls you slave and basically keeps telling you that you are nothing compared to Sith Warriors. Its like he's saying. "You picked the wrong class. If you want to re-roll the time is now."

I haven't seen the warrior story but it does sound way better. With my Inquisitor you always feel like you are someones *****. And if you think of it they tried to warn you about this from the beginning. Your first trainer constantly calls you slave and basically keeps telling you that you are nothing compared to Sith Warriors. Its like he's saying. "You picked the wrong class. If you want to re-roll the time is now."

I personally think that was the best part of the SI story when you are doing your trials on korriban and then after that it's just well..... crap.

Yeah, the SI storyline is...really underwhelming.

The first part is nonstop fetch quests. You're basically Indiana Jones, but even though you have lightning, you're still not as cool. How is that possible? They couldn't even give us some exposition on what KIND of relics we were getting or the HISTORY or I dunno, some sort of cool explanation of the inner workings of the Dark Side or original Sith Lords or SOMETHING? Anything??

Then you become a Ghostbuster, and you're not even the one played by Bill Murray. I just...fail to see the whole point of this. Wouldn't it have been cooler to actually do some political intrigue? Or anything at all involved with the main plot? It just feels like SI's story occurs in a bubble and nothing you do has any real effect on anyone else.

And throughout the whole thing, you're basically someone else's lapdog and also completely incompetent on your own. Kallig saves you (and then proceeds to call you foolish) how many times? You're beaten by how many Darth Nobodies? How many of these plans were your own?

Freaking lame. I guess Bioware had to make something about the SI bad so people would roll other classes.

Watching the slow and bumbling rise of soon to be Darth Doughnuts,

the biggest, pinkest Twilek Sith Assassin, has actually turned into a sublime comedy.

Trainer "You are a bad noob slave!"

Darth Doughnuts "I am a sad panda."

Sith Ghost "Eat more ghosts!"

Darth Doughnuts "nom nom nom!"

On the flipside,

I can't take sith warrior seriously when there is no option for an iron jaw.