SWTOR Minimum System Requirement is a hoax?

Samvan

SWTOR:

Processor

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better or Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0GHz or better

Operating System

Windows XP (Service Pack 3)/Vista/7

RAM

Windows XP: 1.5GB

Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB

PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB RAM

Graphics Card

ATI X1800 or better*

nVidia 7800 or better*

Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better

TERA:

Minimum

OS - WINDOWS XP

CPU - INTEL PENTIUM 4 3.20GHZ

RAM - 2G

Graphics - GEFORCE 7600 GT

Direct X - DirectX 9.0C[/Quote]

So...can anyone explain me why a crappy graphics and free game engine like SWTOR require higher minimum system requirements while a 3x heavier performance game like TERA has lower minimum system requirements?

Because I don't even.....................

Edited by Samvan

Is the Tera you're talking about the same Tera whose recent EU Beta Weekend got cancelled because the game fell over due to "an unknown technical fault"? If so, I don't think you should start judging performance in that game against performance in SWTOR just yet :)!

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/05/teras-eu-sneak-peek-weekend-canceled-due-to-unknown-technical-f/

Is the Tera you're talking about the same Tera whose recent EU Beta Weekend got cancelled because the game fell over due to "an unknown technical fault"? If so, I don't think you should start judging performance in that game against performance in SWTOR just yet :)!

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/05/teras-eu-sneak-peek-weekend-canceled-due-to-unknown-technical-f/

...which has nothing to do with my question but you mean something that hasn't even been released yet and gave out like over 10 000 keys and everyone trying to login simultaneously?

Yeah, it's a very good stress testing :)

Edited by Samvan

You mean the technical fault that is really ongoing legal action over stolen code and assets from NCSOFT?

It's not really a hoax seeing people with very old rigs playing at max details with 720p resolution. What those SWTOR requirements are lacking, is a small, greyed-out text saying "But there's a good chance you will get low FPS whatever your PC is" :) Won't brag about horrid fps, because we obviously have a separate topic to do it, but I will say this: This engine isn't supporting many hardware parts out there. For instance, it supports 8800 chipsets fully but won't support equivalent on ATI side which is 4770. It's those small things ;)

It's not really a hoax seeing people with very old rigs playing at max details with 720p resolution. What those SWTOR requirements are lacking, is a small, greyed-out text saying "But there's a good chance you will get low FPS whatever your PC is" :) Won't brag about horrid fps, because we obviously have a separate topic to do it, but I will say this: This engine isn't supporting many hardware parts out there. For instance, it supports 8800 chipsets fully but won't support equivalent on ATI side which is 4770. It's those small things ;)

Thank you dear Carousel. That enlightened me a lot :)

SWTOR:

TERA:

So...can anyone explain me why a crappy graphics and free game engine like SWTOR require higher minimum system requirements while a 3x heavier performance game like TERA has lower minimum system requirements?

You do realize that there is no magic formula for determining what minimum requirements are right? It's more of a question of asking your developers: What is the minimum hardware that you feel a person could reasonably expect to play the game on?

Does that mean that you cannot play the game with less? No, it just means that you shouldn't blame the developer for crappy performance if you do not meet the minimum requirements. However, that does not mean it's not possible.

TERA has been out in Korea for almost a year now. The version for North America / Europe will be out (maybe) around May and it just has the quest and lore of the game adjusted to fit the regions, but it is still using the same engine from the Korea game.

This doesn't sound like you're biased, at all. Nah.

Source?

Source? Just a simple number which I made up from experience of playing SWTOR and TERA. I came to conclusion that TERA need a lot more performance because of its heavy graphics and open areas.

TERA has been out in Korea for almost a year now. The version for North America / Europe will be out (maybe) around May and it just has the quest and lore of the game adjusted to fit the regions, but it is still using the same engine from the Korea game.

So we can come to conslusion that because TERA has been out longer, it has been more optimized compared to SWTOR and therefore lower performance computers are able to play it?

So we can come to conslusion that because TERA has been out longer, it has been more optimized compared to SWTOR and therefore lower performance computers are able to play it?

No... Their developers picked different numbers out of the hat.

Also, it may be that Tera is not optimized for a multi-core processor, whereas SW:TOR is, hence the greater requirements for a multi-core processor.

I have no clue what engine they are using, but its probably the same engine NCSoft has used forever.. If that is the case then of course its going to be able to use older and outdated hardware because the engine itself old and outdated.

oh and lulz on the Pentium 4 requirement.. That is what like 3 major chip revisions ago?

hmm kind of funny since Tera does not list what minimum specs are but just recommended

The recommended system requirements:

• CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ or INTEL Core2 Duo E6750

• RAM: 4 GB or greater

• GPU: ATI Radeon HD 3870 or NVidia Geforce 8800GT

• HDD: 35 GB (70 GB for download installation*)

• DirectX: DirectX 9.0c

• Optical Drive: DVD-ROM Drive

• Connection: Broadband

No, I can't explain why you make use of strawman arguments any easier then I can explain them. :)

The reccomended requirements are a hoax too, when you get to illum.

Ilum's issues are not the users system, it's the server latency for those zones. Ilum has issues being able to handle all those spam commands from hundreds if Imps and 10 Repubs on Ilum at the same time. Not to mention all the XYZ coordinates to boot.

If you're a AOEer you love Ilum, if you're melee you don't even bother...

Edited by Daeborn

You do realize that there is no magic formula for determining what minimum requirements are right? It's more of a question of asking your developers: What is the minimum hardware that you feel a person could reasonably expect to play the game on?

Does that mean that you cannot play the game with less? No, it just means that you shouldn't blame the developer for crappy performance if you do not meet the minimum requirements. However, that does not mean it's not possible.

It also allows them minimum level to work with to ensure adequate performance in the game six months or a year from now, after they add stuff through updates.