Female's being called sir..??

Braaaiins

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been called sir on more toons than just this tooper.

I imagine any Jedi or Sith could be called Sir, seeing as they usually both have a sort of military rank.

Edit: What do you call a superior female officer in the army then, "Mam"? I figured it would just be Sir, though obviously Im not military.

Edited by Achromatis

My character is female and she's being called sir A LOT... its very annoying.

I've always thought/concluded that it is because of the fact that alot of the female military didn't/doesn't want to be treated any different than their male counterparts, to them mam didn't really show the force/respect that sir did and thought of sir more of a short for Superior instead of a gender specific label.

Jeez, I don't know, there's just no pleasing women. Better to just call them "female officer of higher rank" I doubt you can go wrong with that one, or can you.

Miss doesn't work in a military context in my opinion, it implies softness or weakness, Madam however implies power, but I doubt many women would choose that term, besides I would have thought Sir would have pleased female military women as it doesn't differientate between sexes and implies equality rather than inequality.

Perhaps it would be better if females were just addressed by their rank, Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain, Admiral or whatever.

By the way the "no pleasing women" comment was totally tounge in cheek, no offence was intended or implied, if a woman can do the job as well as a man then they should be allowed to do so. They can stand when no seats are available and they can open their own doors too LOL.

On my jedi I was also called "sir" ... very annoying.

They should make what I'm about to say a sticky:

There are a lot of species in the galaxy. When it comes to some species, gender differences aren't that distinct for most other species. As such, all military superiors are called 'sir' regardless of actual gender.

I'm sure it's a similar story in the Empire, also the fact that its a traditionally patriarchal culture.

Edited by Kaskava

The amount of unimportant(and in this case completely off) complaints is astounding considering the issues this game is facing right now...

I have to agree with you there, but I just posted out of boredom and for the hell of it. The devs don't seem to be interested by the important issues anyway, judging by their total lack of feedback regarding certain issues I, and other posters have raised.

one of many mistakes that the user is QAing in my opinion .

Thanks for bringing it to the attention of the devs , maybe they will fix this error maybe they wont

It's not a mistake. It seriously took me less then five seconds to figure out why they were doing it.

On an Imperial character.

Some people just can's suspend their disbelief.

Real life: Female officers in the military (not sure if all branches) have been addressed as sir before. Post-feminism I believe they are given the choice to be addressed as Miss or Ma'am.

Fiction: Star Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica all contain instances where female officers are addressed as 'sir'.

You may not like it, but it is part of our culture and history. Beyond that, the whole alien-gender thing is a good reason to keep it as 'sir'. Your own connotation of 'sir' might be that of a male, but it has, is, and will continue to be used to represent both men AND women.

I didn't find this at all weird, and I'm a little baffled at the number of people complaining. Maybe it's just that I've run across it in other sf settings, and so had an easy time extrapolating the reasons for it based on the reasons given in other settings.

It makes sense to standardize that way so that when you run into a superior of a race without obvious visual gender cues, you don't have trouble. (Or if the species is mono-gendered.)

With as diverse a background as you're going to be dealing with, there is no need to emphasize gender differences as well.

There's even some fantasy books where all the knights are called Sir regardless of gender. It doesn't mean they're wrong, or did not do the research because the UK uses Dame. It just means it's a different world, and if it's a logical usage in that world, then great.

TL;DR

There are a lot of species in the galaxy. When it comes to some species, gender differences aren't that distinct for most other species. As such, all military superiors are called 'sir' regardless of actual gender.