Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tokens and rewards

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Tokens and rewards

avenger_online
08.17.2019 , 05:05 PM | #1
This is a little suggestion for the devs thoughts on the idea are also appreciated. I think everyone will agree that the prices of the rewards right now is a bit too high even for the higher players, silver used to get you a weapon set but now even gold doesnt cover the cost of 1 weapon of the replicas that came at the end of season 10. I understand the need to not make it easily accessible but for 50k tokens for 1 weapon and 100k for 1 set of armor is a bit too high.

A while back they said they were going to be making tokens legacy wide which would actually be a great idea as it means each person doesnt just have to focus on 1 character but we havent heard anything in months on the matter and an update would be good. However I would say until that happens, there should be some way to make it just a little more accessible to players. I would say maybe during the season those rewards are released a sale of 25 or even 50% could be applied, or even just discount them during the preseason before all token Grant's go out, meaning those who have grinded tokens hard all season long can access those rewards just a little better and after the sale just return them to full price. I would say that one of these ideas should be done until ranked tokens are made legacy wide.

JediMasterAlex
08.17.2019 , 08:39 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by avenger_online View Post
This is a little suggestion for the devs thoughts on the idea are also appreciated. I think everyone will agree that the prices of the rewards right now is a bit too high even for the higher players,
Nope, I disagree. I think the prices are appropriate because they reward players that actually play ranked on a regular basis.

Full disclosure, I'm biased on this topic, because I play a lot of ranked, and mostly on one character, but I still think it's a good idea for Bioware to reward people like me that actually play ranked. It doesn't make sense for players that play just a handful of games to get equal access to the best rewards.

If you get a high rating in a few games, you'll still get the title and flair, but if you want the other good stuff, you have to play the game. I don't think that's unfair. This is especially important because wintraders that get their high ratings in a few games can't also buy the vendor rewards instantly.

avenger_online
08.18.2019 , 05:31 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterAlex View Post
Nope, I disagree. I think the prices are appropriate because they reward players that actually play ranked on a regular basis.

Full disclosure, I'm biased on this topic, because I play a lot of ranked, and mostly on one character, but I still think it's a good idea for Bioware to reward people like me that actually play ranked. It doesn't make sense for players that play just a handful of games to get equal access to the best rewards.

If you get a high rating in a few games, you'll still get the title and flair, but if you want the other good stuff, you have to play the game. I don't think that's unfair. This is especially important because wintraders that get their high ratings in a few games can't also buy the vendor rewards instantly.
I do agree with you on the win trading bit, and they shouldn't have access to easy rewards but if you run the numbers, to get a weapon box it requires 360 wins excluding losses and another 720 ON TOP of that to get an armor set, so to get 1 armor set and 1 weapon it takes over 1000 games.

JediMasterAlex
08.18.2019 , 08:39 AM | #4
I do agree with you on the win trading bit, and they shouldn't have access to easy rewards but if you run the numbers, to get a weapon box it requires 360 wins excluding losses and another 720 ON TOP of that to get an armor set, so to get 1 armor set and 1 weapon it takes over 1000 games.
But that's only for the re-released stuff from previous seasons isn't it? They purposely made that stuff extra expensive so that it stays relatively rare. They're not really supposed to be affordable by the end of one season.

foxmob
08.18.2019 , 08:41 AM | #5
I'm unclear on why tokens are toon-specific. they aren't titles. and unlike past (better) season rewards, you don't automatically receive them if you reach a certain tier.

whatever happened to x-weapon set for silver, x-weapon and gear set for gold?

none of that precludes players grinding comms and buying the same gear. it's the fundamental principle of BW's "everyone can get it. it just takes a little longer" motto. I feel that if you make the tier, you shouldn't have to sit there grinding comms on the same toon. go off and play other toons. live your life. along the same lines, I play ranked almost every night, but I don't wanna have to sit on the same one or two toons every night just to ensure I can afford whatever reward I want (full disclosure, none of them appeal to me anyway; this is more a matter of principle and concern when the furious replicas come available).
Krack

JediMasterAlex
08.18.2019 , 09:08 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
I'm unclear on why tokens are toon-specific. they aren't titles. and unlike past (better) season rewards, you don't automatically receive them if you reach a certain tier.
I assume it's because they only want people to be able to use the ranked rewards on the toons they did ranked on. But then again, some of the rewards are legacy bound, so you can buy it on one character and still end up using it on another that doesn't even play ranked. So ultimately, it does seem a bit silly.

none of that precludes players grinding comms and buying the same gear. it's the fundamental principle of BW's "everyone can get it. it just takes a little longer" motto. I feel that if you make the tier, you shouldn't have to sit there grinding comms on the same toon. go off and play other toons. live your life. along the same lines, I play ranked almost every night, but I don't wanna have to sit on the same one or two toons every night just to ensure I can afford whatever reward I want (full disclosure, none of them appeal to me anyway; this is more a matter of principle and concern when the furious replicas come available).
Your opinion here is reasonable. But grinding comms in ranked is a different animal from other kinds of grinding. You still need to be able to actually win games on a consistent basis. Plus, there are other incentives to keep playing, such as climbing higher or maintaining your rating, or god forbid, having fun.

To me it's pretty simple. They want the ranked rewards, particularly the ones from past seasons, to be expensive and rare. So you have to be at least pretty decent at ranked, and play a lot of it to be able to afford them right away. For people that play less, or aren't as good, or both, it will take a lot longer. That seems fair to me.

One other note, if you look at the leaderboards, there are very few people with say, 500+ wins (seems to be a few on DM, but hardly any on SF and SS). It's not like there are hoards of mediocre players just grinding solo ranked to get furious gear 8 months from now or whenever season 12 ends.

foxmob
08.18.2019 , 12:38 PM | #7
500 wins is pretty ridiculous -- remember, the whole point is to be able to play your stable. I'm more alarmed by the number of players with fewer than 50 wins. when last I checked SF merc/mando, I think only 2 or 3 of the top 10 had 50+.

it could all be fixed by not tying the comms to individual toons. that's just asinine. same account. same person grinding the same amount of games.

I don't know what stuff was like at the start of season, but there's no way you're moving from 1400 to 1500 without significantly carrying. The second you get into the upper 1300s, you get burdened with at least one, usually 2 carries (depending on the time of night). so outside of someone(s) helping you (there've been some healers not taking pops and others suspiciously bad), I don't think it's possible to cross into gold w/o earning it in any number of games (it looks like you need ~ 20-30 wins).
Krack

JediMasterAlex
08.18.2019 , 04:55 PM | #8
500 wins is pretty ridiculous -- remember, the whole point is to be able to play your stable. I'm more alarmed by the number of players with fewer than 50 wins. when last I checked SF merc/mando, I think only 2 or 3 of the top 10 had 50+.

it could all be fixed by not tying the comms to individual toons. that's just asinine. same account. same person grinding the same amount of games.
I don't think it's that ridiculous really. Ranked games are quite short and the seasons are rather long. But anyway, I wouldn't really be opposed to it if they made that change. Doesn't really bother me either way. I just think it's a bit weird to be able to use ranked rewards on non-ranked playing toons, but that's just me.

I don't know what stuff was like at the start of season, but there's no way you're moving from 1400 to 1500 without significantly carrying. The second you get into the upper 1300s, you get burdened with at least one, usually 2 carries (depending on the time of night). so outside of someone(s) helping you (there've been some healers not taking pops and others suspiciously bad), I don't think it's possible to cross into gold w/o earning it in any number of games (it looks like you need ~ 20-30 wins).
Speaking for myself, I got gold within my first 30 games or so. But since then, in the many, many games I've played on my main, I've hovered between about 1350 and 1500. As recently as about a week ago or so, I was in the high 1300s, but I've now climbed back over 1500. So it is possible, but I agree that it's quite difficult, and there is a lot of luck involved in terms of who you get teamed with.

avenger_online
08.18.2019 , 05:27 PM | #9
The point I'm trying to make is that if we play ranked on multiple toons then we should be able to pool all of the tokens we earn to be able to get the more expensive rewards and the prices of the current items means we cant play multiple toons in ranked but just stick to the one. My main is jugg but I also play a lot of mara sorc and sniper in ranked but lately I've just been grinding on my jugg all season long due to the price of the items, I earnt about 40k each on my mara and sorc last season and I'd like to put that all together to get either some weapons or a set of armor after I get some more tokens.

foxmob
08.18.2019 , 06:23 PM | #10
The point I'm trying to make is that if we play ranked on multiple toons then we should be able to pool all of the tokens we earn to be able to get the more expensive rewards and the prices of the current items means we cant play multiple toons in ranked but just stick to the one. My main is jugg but I also play a lot of mara sorc and sniper in ranked but lately I've just been grinding on my jugg all season long due to the price of the items, I earnt about 40k each on my mara and sorc last season and I'd like to put that all together to get either some weapons or a set of armor after I get some more tokens.
yeah. I'm not sure anyone objects to that except BW. an iunno why.
Krack