Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is Merc IO class any good for PvP?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Is Merc IO class any good for PvP?

Belpheghor
08.15.2019 , 04:18 AM | #1
Haven't touched my Merc for a long time, thinking of picking him back up. He's currently IO class but not sure if that class is any good in PvP atm.
"Let the hate flow through you"......

merovejec
08.15.2019 , 04:37 AM | #2
IO is a high parsing spec, but the usage in PVP is very limited. The main issue is heat management. In PVP you do use your offheals and that would be a catastrophe in PVP when it comes to heat management. It does have its advantages, but those are outweighted by the drawbacks, which is also mobility for example (you have more casting skills).
Merovejec
7 days of being a sub, try it! Refferal Link
Achievements 5.10 69015

laiboch
08.15.2019 , 12:13 PM | #3
IO / AS is a mixed bag in PVP. When you are in a good group you can put out a lot of damage, but when pressured you just don't have the burst you need to win consistently. not to mention the average HOT's out there can easily erase a large chunk of your damage. Its like that for most DOT specs honestly. Burst specs are the king of PVP and that is why you see so many people playing Arsenal and Gunnery. Better heat management, better burst and a much simpler rotation to maintain their damage. Personally I prefer IO/AS and play it quite a bit, but to be really competitive you need a good team, and that is pure luck of the draw if you are solo.

Now IF Bioware addressed the heat management of the class and streamlined it a bit I honestly think it would be very much on par with Arsenal/gunnery.

foxmob
08.15.2019 , 01:08 PM | #4
it can do well in pvp, but it's weak under pressure.

to do great single target dmg, you need to hard cast. that's because if you use you speed things up, you'll blow through your resources. hard casting is anathema to pvp. it's too easy to interrupt or be los'd. the only time it's really effective is when your target is ignoring you.

all of that said, IO can churn out well, and it can burst with a little setup. it's kind of like blood boiler for scrapper. you can place a bomb on the target and explode it with your mag shot, thus unleashing your two hardest hitting abils in one instant. you can also chain mag with charged bolts 2x in a row (w/o cast). that's a lot of single target burst, tbh.

keeping your dots on the target while bursting is, imo, impossible without losing the resource management battle. add to that the fact that you have to heal yourself and it's just a really difficult spec to play. I've seen players do it, but they are never, in my experience, under intense pressure. usually they're not the first or 2nd priority target in SR.
Krack

Raansu
08.15.2019 , 06:44 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by laiboch View Post
IO / AS is a mixed bag in PVP. When you are in a good group you can put out a lot of damage, but when pressured you just don't have the burst you need to win consistently. not to mention the average HOT's out there can easily erase a large chunk of your damage. Its like that for most DOT specs honestly. Burst specs are the king of PVP and that is why you see so many people playing Arsenal and Gunnery. Better heat management, better burst and a much simpler rotation to maintain their damage. Personally I prefer IO/AS and play it quite a bit, but to be really competitive you need a good team, and that is pure luck of the draw if you are solo.

Now IF Bioware addressed the heat management of the class and streamlined it a bit I honestly think it would be very much on par with Arsenal/gunnery.
If BW would just increase trauma to impact healing without messing with healers in pve it would solve a lot of problems and make most dot specs viable again.

SlimPikinz
08.15.2019 , 08:38 PM | #6
I actually prefer IO to Arsenal for PvP, especially for Solo Ranked. It has good pressure and pretty decent burst.

Resource management is a non-issue if you take the proper talent in the first tier. With all of the stuns, knock-backs, and such in the game, that utility gets so much value and in my opinion makes or breaks the spec for PvP. It doesn't have an internal cooldown or rate limit so you can just purposefully walk into enemies to get crowd controlled and almost instantly you are back to 0 heat. That utility also provides a 10% damage/healing increase to the next Tech ability when it procs. I'm not sure if that even has an internal cooldown either.

The burst is easy enough to setup if everything hits. The rotation allows for almost everything to be instant cast except for Fusion Missile. I've killed several people in one global that were sitting at 40% not expecting the damage.

In my opinion, Chaff Flare is also superior in IO spec. Everything has a chance to be resisted including white damage, yellow damage, and stuns. Two charges of absorb are easy to play around. Most people use white damage until the charges fall off. I prefer durations rather than charges for defensive cooldowns. You are also immune to interrupts during the duration.

IO spec also gets a nice finisher with Missile Blast which, if taken the utility in the first tier, also doubles as a root. You will be spamming this ability so the increased damage is nice and the root is so strong versus all of the mobility currently in the game.

Since Full Auto isn't a priority in the rotation, you get to free up a utility not needing Thrill of the Hunt anymore. I usually take damage reduction while stunned utility which I wouldn't be able to in Arsenal spec.

The improvement to Rapid Scan is not as strong as Arsenal but only because it doesn't have the increased healing amount. In Arsenal, you still have to sacrifice your stacks to use it but it's better than IO spec.

The AoE is also much better for both Sweeping Blasters and Death from Above. You can also spread your Supercharged Burn with Sweeping Blaster provided you spread your Incendiary Missile first.

My only complaint about the spec is that the spread mechanic is just awful and needs some kind of rework (it used to be worse).

If we got to keep Rail Shot in IO Spec, I would never play Arsenal again to be honest. The sound animation is just fantastic. Oh, and also Heatseeker Missile is nice too but the sound is bugged so it hardly ever goes off.

The spec is an acquired taste. I play both in both Unranked and Solo Ranked and I find I have to cast more in Arsenal than IO and I can kite melee easier in IO as well.

Play both and see what you like best!

Check out my new channel; it's nothing but Merc and some PT https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdY..._as=subscriber

Ooha
08.16.2019 , 08:59 AM | #7
IO excels at only one thing over Arsenal. 1v1'ing and 1v2'ing snipers in all gameplay: SR, dueling, regs, wPvP. Absolutely makes sniper a joke meme class, while Arsenal will struggle against a good sniper because at the end of the day. Arsenal has some of the most predictable game play.

If this is your first time playing merc or its been a while - 100% relearn it on Arsenal. I've played thousands of games as both and the REAL problem of IO is not the heat management or "casting" (which is extremely minimal in pvp, besides spamming scans while los'd LOL). IO mercs are just not scary. Sure, you can pull of a thermal double mag shot combo with dots rolling (even adding fusion and dart) but nothing compares to the chunking a priming shot>HS>stacked rail shot. 3 globals vs like 5, 6 maybe even 7? For results that are always coming out lesser. Most IO Mercs are playing to show off, not because its a good pvp spec.
*EF*

mothbanquet
08.20.2019 , 05:44 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by SlimPikinz View Post
I actually prefer IO to Arsenal for PvP, especially for Solo Ranked. It has good pressure and pretty decent burst.

Resource management is a non-issue if you take the proper talent in the first tier. With all of the stuns, knock-backs, and such in the game, that utility gets so much value and in my opinion makes or breaks the spec for PvP. It doesn't have an internal cooldown or rate limit so you can just purposefully walk into enemies to get crowd controlled and almost instantly you are back to 0 heat. That utility also provides a 10% damage/healing increase to the next Tech ability when it procs. I'm not sure if that even has an internal cooldown either.

The burst is easy enough to setup if everything hits. The rotation allows for almost everything to be instant cast except for Fusion Missile. I've killed several people in one global that were sitting at 40% not expecting the damage.

In my opinion, Chaff Flare is also superior in IO spec. Everything has a chance to be resisted including white damage, yellow damage, and stuns. Two charges of absorb are easy to play around. Most people use white damage until the charges fall off. I prefer durations rather than charges for defensive cooldowns. You are also immune to interrupts during the duration.

IO spec also gets a nice finisher with Missile Blast which, if taken the utility in the first tier, also doubles as a root. You will be spamming this ability so the increased damage is nice and the root is so strong versus all of the mobility currently in the game.

Since Full Auto isn't a priority in the rotation, you get to free up a utility not needing Thrill of the Hunt anymore. I usually take damage reduction while stunned utility which I wouldn't be able to in Arsenal spec.

The improvement to Rapid Scan is not as strong as Arsenal but only because it doesn't have the increased healing amount. In Arsenal, you still have to sacrifice your stacks to use it but it's better than IO spec.

The AoE is also much better for both Sweeping Blasters and Death from Above. You can also spread your Supercharged Burn with Sweeping Blaster provided you spread your Incendiary Missile first.

My only complaint about the spec is that the spread mechanic is just awful and needs some kind of rework (it used to be worse).

If we got to keep Rail Shot in IO Spec, I would never play Arsenal again to be honest. The sound animation is just fantastic. Oh, and also Heatseeker Missile is nice too but the sound is bugged so it hardly ever goes off.

The spec is an acquired taste. I play both in both Unranked and Solo Ranked and I find I have to cast more in Arsenal than IO and I can kite melee easier in IO as well.

Play both and see what you like best!

Check out my new channel; it's nothing but Merc and some PT https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdY..._as=subscriber
I switched from Arsenal to IO after a long time playing the former because I found myself just getting plain bored with its repetitive simplicity. At least back in the old days you had to be cunning with your positioning and teamplay owing to your incredible squishiness but that time is long past. IO is proving to be a refreshing challenge and surprisingly effective, with a trickier 'optimal' rotation but plenty of variance allowed, which tends to be nicer for pvp. Also the dot spread isn't the greatest, it's not too hard to factor it in on the fly. After being told how awful the class is I've been pleasantly surprised by its effectiveness and versatility, despite the obvious challenges, and it's good for snipers to have a natural predator on the field these days.

Mag shot needs changing ASAP though. Would be happy for the same animation as RS, just prettier effects and a beefier sound would suit me fine.

Metthew
08.27.2019 , 08:03 AM | #9
IO is pretty OK. One dude on DM plays explicitly that - he went from global material to a very dangerous person to face in solo ranked. It's also strictly the better counter against snipers I think, which another user already remarked - it will absolutely hardcounter MM snipers, and though Arsenal's Chaff Flare may be somewhat better against Engineering, HSM is fairly easy to roll. While Thermal Detonator is even easier to roll, the sustain from DoTs and Mag Shot allows you to keep good damage on the enemy sniper.
Erhart / Wilhemine | Darth Malgus | <Take a Seat>