Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I want to play ranked but....

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
I want to play ranked but....

killazman
08.09.2019 , 09:31 AM | #1
So I've been playing the game now since the launch of the Hutt Cartel. I love the PvP side of the game, yet...a majority of my time spent in PvP is unranked. I really want to play ranked though, but the few times that I have decided to que up and play, I've been flamed hard if we lose by elitists. I play carnage marauder and I'm at the point to where I know my class very well. My gear rating is 240. I guess gear is also part of the reason I've been hesistant but at the same time I want those components from the ranked dailies and weeklies...how much does gear matter in ranked? Any guidance would be appreciated.

JediMasterAlex
08.09.2019 , 09:48 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by killazman View Post
So I've been playing the game now since the launch of the Hutt Cartel. I love the PvP side of the game, yet...a majority of my time spent in PvP is unranked. I really want to play ranked though, but the few times that I have decided to que up and play, I've been flamed hard if we lose by elitists. I play carnage marauder and I'm at the point to where I know my class very well. My gear rating is 240. I guess gear is also part of the reason I've been hesistant but at the same time I want those components from the ranked dailies and weeklies...how much does gear matter in ranked? Any guidance would be appreciated.
There are a lot of concerns here. First, gear doesn't matter very much. Bolster brings everyone to 252, so being in 240 gear isn't that much of a disadvantage. But, being in 240 gear speaks to a lack of experience, which will frequently lead to you being targeted first, and dying first, and being flamed.

If you really are as experienced at your class as you say you are, why are you still in 240 gear? You should have a lot of unassembled components from unranked warzones and command crates. Also, are you using a stim? Are your stats at all optimized, regardless of item rating? There are ways that you can prepare yourself so that you at least look the part of a ranked pvper, which will lead to far less flaming.

Second, while carnage is a viable spec in ranked, it is much harder to succeed with than fury. If you're looking to play ranked as a mara for the first time, I would highly suggest you play fury.

Third, you have to learn how to use force camo to stealth out, run across the map, and heal to full during matches. It is a mandatory skill for maras to learn. Practice it in regs and consult with mara mains if you need further help.

foxmob
08.09.2019 , 02:15 PM | #3
you should be in 252 gear to avoid flames based on gear alone.

what's actually important is that you are augmented and stat balanced correctly (and wearing set bonuses). as jma said, bolster will bring you up to 252. but it will bork your stat balances if you don't get them right beforehand.

carny mara uses a lot of weapon damage. it's worth getting 258s, but you should absolutely have 252s from the Ossus stuff.

imo, there's virtually nothing in regs that can prepare you for solo ranked. the maps don't pop, and even if they do, the speed, pressure, and the ways you respond to those things in solos is significantly different. I'm going to be as blunt as possible here: you can roll your face on the keyboard in regs and things work out well enough. in ranked, you have to pop your cds precisely or you will die inside of one 4s stun. you have to know what each class and spec will do to you as well as you know what you want to do to them. regs cannot help you here b/c most ppl in regs don't have that knowledge themselves to practice against. it's a huge catch-22.

my best advice is go in properly geared (including stims and grenades), and learn to deal with focus. don't say anything to ppl who insult you. take time to report them after the match. it does tend to work over time.

but most importantly, get better. watch players stream their matches. here's a list of players I follow on twitch and why:
  • deanlo -- SF. plays every class, more or less. very good player to learn from. doesn't always stream, but my fave to watch when he does for the high caliber of gameplay on every class.
  • actually_cease -- SF/SS. plays jugg/vg tank, mara dps. excellent player. will talk strat to you on his stream. explains why he does things and when to do them. highly recommended
  • snave -- DM. plays exclusively op. very helpful, like cease, will explain what he does and why he does it. notice how calm he is during the fights. that's a big issue for me is not getting panicked by the initial speed of ranked focus.
  • dattail (zoom) -- mostly SF? splits time with (wife? atonement sage heal) plays jugg/vg tank, sin/mara dps. they will interact with you but best just to watch what he does. he'll talk about what's happening. very useful in terms of CC use and genaral mara play. he does fury and carny. good one for you as a mara player.
  • mijeZ -- SS. like deanlo, he plays a lot of classes. I don't watch often, but he sets a great example for what to do.
  • shekshas022 -- DM/SF/SS. I'm fairly certain this guy doesn't sleep. I think he mains a sin, but he talks about the game a lot, and, like snave, he'll narrate the game for you (including when he makes a mistake, what it was and what he should have done -- these comments are extremely helpful). he also plays a mara, but it's new to him. still worth watching with sound on for his self-critique.

hope that helps.

in regs, you can try ignoring objectives and just rushing into a bunch of 2v1, 3v1, and 4v1 situations to practice playing against focus (it won't be nearly as intense as ranked, but it's the closest you can find outside or ranked).

edit: until you prove you can react to initial focus, you are going to be singled out and burst down asap every match, called global bait and other, less savory things that deserve a ticket. anyone on SF knows I'm no master at this, but I've improved immensely. I'm still averaging only 350k dmg taken, and (as a certain someone will tell you), it should be up around 450k in an all dps match. but it's worlds better than the 200s I was in a month ago, and it's going up.

edit 2: asking questions during the match is useless. that's why it's important to watch streams. good players can talk freely while mashing buttons in most matches. and they're far more willing to talk than type.
Krack

Willjb
08.11.2019 , 12:56 AM | #4
Unfortunately, that been a long time flaw with RANKED. There's no spectrum to help you get better; it's very polarized. Ranked has been very elitist forever, which doesn't help its pop rate, as the vast majority of players just see it as a lost cause; moreover, a utter waste of time - you'll just be fodder for elitist groups to get their season rewards goodies and get hosed. Pvp Team in this game is too out of touch - sorry, I wish I could tell you it'd be a good prospect.

merovejec
08.14.2019 , 03:02 AM | #5
The players taking part in ranked really know eachother well and a new person on the scene is analyzed right away as the key to winning in solo ranked is attacking the weak link in the enemy team. This does not have to be a bad player, but also a player playing a weak class and much more.

Things that tell a lot about the player are stim, gear, maybe titles used and so on. It depends if and what kind of stim the player is using. Gear is not that relevant, but still its something by which you can guess the player. If you have 240 at this point of the game its a bit strange. Its quite easy to buy crystals on Ossus and get 252 stuff slowly. Also the PVE weekly stuff is not that terrible to do once a week for a random 252 gear. As it was said, you do get bolster, but maximzing some stats is quite important. People always tend to try and focus the new (unknown) person on the enemy team.

Knowing your class and playing regs may not be enough for ranked. As it was mentioned the key to playing a mara well is the ability to use force camo to run and heal up. Of course when up against a good team they will chase you and finish you off. However, all this aids your group as the longer you live the longer your team is able to dps the focused target on the other team. So if you are focused you need to live as long as possible to allow your team to kill the enemy before you are killed.

Lastly carnage is not the ideal ranked spec, due to the missing cc immunity. It does have great burst and a "e-net type move" but still, its harder due to stuns and roots. Not saying its not viable, but you might be better off with Fury. So in order not to be the target you need to gain some gear and try very hard
Merovejec
7 days of being a sub, try it! Refferal Link
Achievements 5.10 69015

SEANeD
08.19.2019 , 07:55 AM | #6
Iíd say unless youíre full augíd and have nearly every datacron 240 is tough. You are at a disadvantage even with bolster bc not every stat is bolstered.
Tips:
If you want to get good, even if you know your rotations hit the practice dummy and tighten your rotations up. make sure your stats are well allocated even for what gear you have. As I said above if you havenít already gotten the datacrons youíll need every advantage. Now this next bit is super important and is imperative to being good at pvp, duel every class repeatedly. You donít have to beat every class some matchups wonít favor you but make every right move in those duels. Another tip, and this will come with dueling, make sure your movements are perfect. Play around with the mouse practice running in a square or in a figure 8. Sounds silly but how you move matters. Whenever possible get in good habits. Just the other day I did team ranked and realized the Jugg jumped us at the ramp and group ccíd all 4 of us. I thought, why did I not just hang back for literally 2 seconds to avoid the group cc when the same thing just happened the round before? Also I just got back kinda recent but I started adding off target interrupts a bit better since I got back. Thatís something youíll need to do to be successful. Interrupts, cc, and movement are huge bc plenty of players can spit out high dps. Mostly Iíd say dueling will help immensely. Also and I think it should go without saying but needs to be said anyway, have a game plan to start. Donít be afraid to be that guy who just says the gamep plan instead of just asking. Canít be throwing out question marks as a team then say ďgo sniperĒ with 2 seconds left before game starts. Lay down the law.
Seaney 55 Sorc Pot5
HAKUNA MATATA

Proud Disciple of Gogo'blixx

Metthew
08.27.2019 , 08:10 AM | #7
I do agree that people should not be flaming like that in SR, but you should also do your part and grow thicker skin, learn to ignore other peoples' opinions, and just keep playing. That's what I did in seasons 5 and 6, and by season 7, I was a sniper who people liked having on their team despite the fact that snipers were still global material back then. Besides, it is an important life lesson to learn not to let haters and distressing situations get to you.

So do not worry about your spec, and just keep playing with a growing mindset, and improve your play. Eventually, you'll see that you'll be able to put out much better numbers and survive longer, and the criticisms will turn to praise, flamers will get along with you and whisper you about how bad the OTHER people are, and so on.
Erhart / Wilhemine | Darth Malgus | <Take a Seat>