Is crafting useful at 70 these days?

istvana

In terms of getting gear better than what the Ossus dailies and weeklies give and the command tier vendors sell?

If it is not I'll just do biochem with all characters just like the old days to be able to use character bound reusable items.

Crafting the 258's isn't really that useful. The amount of materials it'll take to make that gear would cost a fortune in the GTN, and if your talking about selling it on the GTN, I doubt many would buy it, and if they did it would be only the MH/OH. Those are usually between 200 mil-280 mil on SS, so I doubt many would even buy those.

In terms of getting gear better than what the Ossus dailies and weeklies give and the command tier vendors sell?

There's not (IMHO) any "better" crafted gear - and what high-level gear there is is very expensive to make. However, there are some unique looking items that can only be crafted. (The ones I'm thinking of are "orange" shells, not fixed stats.)

There are also augments, dye packs, implants, relics, etc, that can be crafted - for your own personal use, not just to sell on the GTN.

I agree though, that Biochem is probably the best profession to have for your main character. Those permanent "req 600" health packs are very useful. Also, being able to make health packs, and the versions that heal you and your companion, are very useful to craft for your other alts.

Thanks for all replies. I have no desire to make my credits buying and selling on the GTN but I hated the thought of having 8 biochem characters constantly getting schematics from command crates if those schematics were actually *useful*.

There is always the chance the new content and level-cap increase will change things but it isn't all that difficult to spend a day or two changing crafts and getting the new ones to 600+ should that prove desirable then.

I hated the thought of having 8 biochem characters constantly getting schematics from command crates if those schematics were actually *useful*.
Don't worry about that. IMO, none of the command crate schematics is "useful". I have a ton of characters with various crafting skills. I always disintegrate the command crate schematics, regardless of what they are, even on those rare occasions when the schematic is actually for that character's crafting skill. Edited by Adric_the_Red

If you have several characters, then having every crafting skill is useful. - But OFC some more useful than others.

Since the best rated gear is from the current update, you may be better off concentrating on gear for lower levels and [your own ] characters still levelling .

- There's always the cosmetic element to anything you make - whether its armour sets, weapons, crystals... and use Biochem to kit out all your legacy with stims, medpacks and adrenals.

if you can't craft the thing you want, then it can be a steady income by selling stuff to enable you to afford those rare and expensive items.

Edited by Storm-Cutter

More good advice but it confirms my feeling that at this time there is no need to work on the crafts. I consider gear virtually useless before Ossus for the simple reason that I concentrate on the stories and the chapters and find getting to 70 fairly fast (and usually without even dying once) easy enough using quest rewards and drops. Or simply getting adaptive armour and upgrading the inserts every 8 or 12 levels and just selling all quest rewards and drops.

If I concentrated on flashpoints or operatiions or pvp at lower levels I assure you I would feel otherwise so the advice about lower level gear is good advice just not for how I have been playing since coming back.

Edited by istvana