Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Leveling as a healer - companions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
Leveling as a healer - companions

kmanweiss
12.15.2011 , 11:50 AM | #1
Ok, be forwarned, there are SPOILERS in this for BH and for Troopers.

Has anyone noticed how difficult it is to level as a healing focused mercenary?
The class is solid, the talents interesting. All together it's a great class and I love playing it. Pre-30 healing in FPs can be a nightmare at times, but things start getting better at 25 and again at 30.

We seem to get gimped with our companions though.

I played a trooper in Beta, and got to lvl 31 or 32. At the end of planet 1, you get your first companion. A ranged DPS. At the end of planet 2, you get your ship and the droid that comes with it. At the end of planet 3, you get a healing companion. The end of planet 4 gives you a tanking companion. You can even do 3 and 4 out of order to get the tank early. Either way, you have a DPS, a healer, and a tank before you hit level 30. This compliments any style of play you want. As a healing trooper, the DPS you start with tanked good enough until you get an actual tank...then I was amazed at how efficient I could play with him tanking and me healing.

For the Bounty Hunter though....I'm halfway through planet 4, approaching lvl 30 and I still just have Mako...a healing companion. This didn't bother me until the late teens, early twenties. No tank, no solid DPS, just two healers... The regular quests aren't a problem, but as a Trooper I was able to solo (me and companion) every heroic 2 area, and even a heroic 4 (had to be stealthy). The two healer combo is not panning out the same way. There is a heroic 2 area thats even shared for both classes and I couldn't progress as a BH at lvl 24, but my trooper cleaned the place out easily at lvl 20.

I thought the trooper companion progression was pretty good. 1 of each by lvl 30. It appears the BH doesn't get more companions till post 30, and the tanks are the last 2 companions.

I still love the class, and Mako, but it's a bit of a struggle being a healer with only a healing companion. Wish we'd get a better spread of companions and at an earlier point in the story. If we had a dual spec too, I wouldn't care...I could DPS and let Mako heal. But I don't want to have to physically switch everything a couple times a day.

I know, pointless complain, just wondering if others had similar issues. Maybe I just got spoiled with the entire army of heavy armor troops at my command as a trooper lol.
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart.

Liquidhal
12.15.2011 , 01:09 PM | #2
Have you tried switching her stance from Med Watch to Blaster Stance and disabling her heals? I think that would significantly increase her damage output, but I've been using her as a healer so I haven't tried it yet.

kmanweiss
12.16.2011 , 09:29 AM | #3
That works ok at low levels, but honestly, in the mid 20s, it does nothing. The damage stance still reduces her threat, which means I pull the threat, and I have to heal because she can't be trusted to heal very well.

Again, I'm making it by doing regular quests, I just don't feel nearly as powerful as the trooper. Full trinity before 30 is awesome. I'm 27 and still just have Mako.
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart.

Stigas
12.17.2011 , 09:35 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by kmanweiss View Post
That works ok at low levels, but honestly, in the mid 20s, it does nothing. The damage stance still reduces her threat, which means I pull the threat, and I have to heal because she can't be trusted to heal very well.

Again, I'm making it by doing regular quests, I just don't feel nearly as powerful as the trooper. Full trinity before 30 is awesome. I'm 27 and still just have Mako.
Gault holds aggro for me very well. I switch him between AOE and Sniper as needed. I went for Gault the moment I hit Tatooine at 27 and, after that, went back and did the side quests with my new pewpew companion.

It would be nice to have a Tank pet by now, though. Gault gets smacked REALLY hard. Keeps me on my toes, though.

bobafetea
12.17.2011 , 10:08 AM | #5
While I agree that it sucks having only a healer while trying to level as a healer, you also have two other options. You could join a group and be their healer or play as a ranged dps and then respec later on
"I see why they call you the best bounty hunter in the galaxy." ― Darth Vader
"Curse Fett! He thinks he's real smart." "He is smart, Bossk. That's why he's the best."