Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

DJs Mercenary Healing Guide For Dummies

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
DJs Mercenary Healing Guide For Dummies

skaiwais
12.29.2011 , 06:24 PM | #41
Great guide!

I have 27lvl bodyguard and I just love playing with it. Have to say that its getting bit tricky to go on doing solo quest with full heal spec as the mobs just dont go down that well.

Just my point that even though there are other healer classes, they dont have heavy armor on them and we have quite a lot of HP ourselves so imo we can take some really brutal pounding before we go down. I would see that we bodyguards would be kinda ideal partners for main tanks in bigger raids( world bosses etc).

djinnerman
12.29.2011 , 08:12 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by skaiwais View Post
Great guide!

I have 27lvl bodyguard and I just love playing with it. Have to say that its getting bit tricky to go on doing solo quest with full heal spec as the mobs just dont go down that well.

Just my point that even though there are other healer classes, they dont have heavy armor on them and we have quite a lot of HP ourselves so imo we can take some really brutal pounding before we go down. I would see that we bodyguards would be kinda ideal partners for main tanks in bigger raids( world bosses etc).
Thank you!

I totally agree about the heavy armor. I think it's quite a blessing that we can use it since we mesh well with having other specs. It's nice to be able to be a healer that can take a beating before it goes to mush.

I recently did what TempastasSilva said about going up to the tracer missiles hybrid spec and it has helped great gains. Werdan's sticky mentions having that particular build.

I can only wait for dual spec to be available so I can be able to heal when I need to. Hybrid healing proved to be a bit difficult at best.
Literofcola
<Coconut Monkeys>
The Crucible Pits

TempestasSilva
12.29.2011 , 09:04 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by djinnerman View Post
I recently did what TempastasSilva said about going up to the tracer missiles hybrid spec and it has helped great gains. Werdan's sticky mentions having that particular build.

I can only wait for dual spec to be available so I can be able to heal when I need to. Hybrid healing proved to be a bit difficult at best.
I am going to try to wait for Galt and see how that goes (Xmas vacation w/ a laptop that does 3FPS FTL, so I have not been playing). Glad its helping. Do you think if you had a few more levels and got some of your healing tools back it would help?

GL/Have fun.

djinnerman
12.30.2011 , 04:59 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by TempestasSilva View Post
I am going to try to wait for Galt and see how that goes (Xmas vacation w/ a laptop that does 3FPS FTL, so I have not been playing). Glad its helping. Do you think if you had a few more levels and got some of your healing tools back it would help?

GL/Have fun.
Without Kolto Shell and Kolto Missile (especially because of that nice shield) it's pretty rough. Pretty cool how such subtle differences in the tree can make a big difference in healing altogether.
Literofcola
<Coconut Monkeys>
The Crucible Pits

KudosBear
12.30.2011 , 11:10 AM | #45
I want to start off saying that it was a good guide with some very nice points made, even though its only up to lvl 21 where you are just starting to see the difference between damage and healing specs.

I'm very very surprised you are still considering aclarity even though it hurts your heat management. It is vital that BH's stay under 40 heat so that they get the max heat vented per second. This is also why aclarity isn't very good on a BH, it will only give you more downtime between your heals to cast rapid shot, it is much better in my opinion to take the talents and get 6% increased tech critical. (something like this that also leaves 1 point to go into heat dampening or dmg reduction if you want)

djinnerman
12.30.2011 , 11:51 AM | #46
I might have to work around the alacrity part a little bit. It seems that casting quickly to get the deed done would be important at some point while being able to spam Rapid Shots while the heat cools off. I'm still waiting (and researching) about the stat statistics and spreadsheets to see what is best to go for and I do no doubt see your point.

Also, I wrote this guide as a means of being impatient and I figured that updating when I can was okay as long as the basics were placed down.

BTW- I'm really curious as to why you placed 3 points into Advanced Targetting. Since we are not targetting enemies, we do not have a miss chance when it comes to healing, therefore the extra 3 points can go somewhere else, such as Critical Reaction x2 and a point in Cure Mind for the Doctor minded.
Literofcola
<Coconut Monkeys>
The Crucible Pits

karcyon
12.30.2011 , 11:57 AM | #47
Nice guide but how slow is questing with a healing spec at level 30+?

TempestasSilva
12.30.2011 , 05:22 PM | #48
Thoughts on Alacrity:
1) its a set bonus for us, so Bioware intended for us to like it.
2) Allows me to cast the same #of spells for the same heat Faster
3) Now have more time to spam rapid shots which increases my healing
4) Now am done casting sooner so my heat starts dissipating sooner.
5) 3+4 = more throughput

djinnerman
12.30.2011 , 05:51 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by TempestasSilva View Post
Thoughts on Alacrity:
1) its a set bonus for us, so Bioware intended for us to like it.
2) Allows me to cast the same #of spells for the same heat Faster
3) Now have more time to spam rapid shots which increases my healing
4) Now am done casting sooner so my heat starts dissipating sooner.
5) 3+4 = more throughput
Very nice tip TempestasSilva! I just added your quote portion to the guide because it was a nice addition and made some nice touches to the thought. We shall see exactly where our little haste stat friend will take us in our future endeavors.

Quote: Originally Posted by karcyon View Post
Nice guide but how slow is questing with a healing spec at level 30+?
Alderaan seems to be very very rough in full healing spec. I earlier suggested that I was going to hit up Tracer Missiles in Arsenal then the rest in Bodyguard (again by TempestasSilva). It has helped me a great gain. We'll see how things unfold in the upcoming days at least.

Check out Werdan's sticky on the Mercenary forums to see some more info on the hybrid spec.
Literofcola
<Coconut Monkeys>
The Crucible Pits

karcyon
12.30.2011 , 07:36 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by djinnerman View Post
Alderaan seems to be very very rough in full healing spec. I earlier suggested that I was going to hit up Tracer Missiles in Arsenal then the rest in Bodyguard (again by TempestasSilva). It has helped me a great gain. We'll see how things unfold in the upcoming days at least.

Check out Werdan's sticky on the Mercenary forums to see some more info on the hybrid spec.
Hybrid is probably THE way to go if you solo quest and want to heal in Flashpoints. The problem is, you don't spend points in the Bodyguard tree until level ~28. How good is our healing at level 30? Did you solo heal with the hybrid spec?