Hoe 'worth it' are the legacy abilities?

Chugster

Basically im new to the game and am currently levelling a BH, now I do suffer from alt-itis but im torn between levelling some alts or waiting until I get my BH to 50 and utilising all the unlocks on new toons.

Now obviously the race unlocks are good (would love to make a Chiss Guardian or Trooper as a 'separated at birth' sibling for my Chiss BH) but what about the other things you can unlock?

Opinions please....

Edited by Chugster

The companion unlocks for getting them to max affection is worth the trouble IMO. And also, by completing one story first, you unlock an extra ability that is fairly powerful (you will get Legacy: Flamethrower, which is a nice addition to your arsenal for killing multiple mobs)

Also, by reaching a higher level on your legacy, you will be able to unlock more powerful "character perks". This will go quicker in the higher levelled content.

That's about it. Is it really worth it? It's not necessary to effectively level a new character, but I like to use it.

Edited by SpoeMeister

At the end of chapter 2 (Hoth lvl 40ish) you unlock your class buff for all your alt characters and you can unlock the companion buffs by getting maximum affection with your companions and finishing their conversations. The companion conversations also give quite a lot of legacy xp which you need for a lot of the legacy perks. (Right now I'm at legacy 19 and working towards 25 to unlock the GTN terminal on my ships.) Edited by MorgonKara

with the companion conversations, can you save them for when you hit 50 and then sit in a cantina and rattle them off one by one? Or should i be swapping and talking to companions at each new planet?

Oh and do the class abilities unlock at lvl 1 on the new toon?

with the companion conversations, can you save them for when you hit 50 and then sit in a cantina and rattle them off one by one? Or should i be swapping and talking to companions at each new planet?

You can save up until you are 50. I usually only had one companion I'd take with me and the rest I level using gifts. You can then just go to your ship and do all the conversations there (as some conversations can only take place on your ship).

But to have it all at once, you need to put affection to at least 80-90%, which is also done through the conversations... I'd just give them gifts until they're ready to spill, then talk, then continue to spoil them :-)

The legacy abilities are available from level 1 but, and I just remembered this, you need to unlock the Heroic Moment Ability, which will only be taught at level 15...

There are a few that require doing a quest. I recall smugglers have at least one. Bear that in mind since you get no xp from doing low level quests.

Rocket boost or whats it called is really helpful to unlock as soon as possible, since its legacy wide unlock and if you unlock all 3 ranks you only have a 30 sec cooldown, and btw if you dont know what it is its basically rocket boosted sprint ^^ really useful to get around fast in your early lvls ^^

Rocket boost or whats it called is really helpful to unlock as soon as possible, since its legacy wide unlock and if you unlock all 3 ranks you only have a 30 sec cooldown, and btw if you dont know what it is its basically rocket boosted sprint ^^ really useful to get around fast in your early lvls ^^

and it can be used EVERYWHERE, so any instances or buildings that restrict vehicles the rocket boost can be used, and with a 30sec cd and a 12 sec timer really you will be rocket boosting with only an 18sec cooldown

I think my most used legacy unlock I got was the in ship repair droid with the sensors that give your ship droid crew skill buffs. Then I got some of the character specific XP buffs to better fit my play style.

As for leveling companion affection it seems the companion gifts have a diminishing return as the crew member get higher but the conversation XP stays the same. So get their affection into the 75% range and then start knocking out conversations. The XP from the conversations will get you most of the rest of the way.

Also you get those affection bonuses when during mission cutscenes so if you have a main companion that you fight with that is maxed out, swap to another companion that needs more affection right before a conversation. Then conversation over, switch back.

There are a few that require doing a quest. I recall smugglers have at least one. Bear that in mind since you get no xp from doing low level quests.

I believe each class has one. From what I've seen it is usually your first companion that you have quests to do with them. Though honestly I wouldn't mind doing companion quests with the rest of them.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

I believe each class has one. From what I've seen it is usually your first companion that you have quests to do with them. Though honestly I wouldn't mind doing companion quests with the rest of them.

i think it depends, cause with the JK, it's Kira, not T7, that gives you the quests.

i would highly suggest unlocking the legacy speeder skills on your alts. being able to use a speeder at level 10 makes the first few planets sooo much easier. i would also unlock at least one level of the field repair droid as that comes in really handy at times. i second the rocket boots unlock. really helpful.

The legacy unlock for boosting companion affection from gifts is well worth the money to buy ~ before you start giving them gifts. It more than pays for itself with the money saved. You're thowing credits away by not buying these before you use companion gifts.

The bonus to crit crafting is also worth it, it's quite noticable in it's effect, eventhough it looks completely lame at first glance. If your comps are at max affection - buy this one if you craft items to sell on the GTN. The boost in yield of crafted item mods & augment slots on crafted orange gear will quicly pay for the unlock.

I use the priority travel to the BH area every time I log. It takes you directly to the BH shuttle & from there I can go to any of the dailies - or to my ship with 1 loading screen & no space docks. It's more useful than fleet pass.

The speeder 1 unlcok at level 10 is AWESOME for alts.... that's all I can say about it. the speeder 2 & 3 unlocks ~ not really worth it as speeder 2 & 3 themselves are a waste of credits until you start doing dailies & want to zip past mobs everywhere you go.

running speed = 1

speeder 1 speed =1.9

speeder 3 speed = 2.1

((2.1 -1.9) / 1.9 ) * 100 = speeder 3 is 10.5% faster NOT 20% (110% - 90% = 20% is bad math)

I use the field mail droid more than twice an hour ~ the field repair droid? ~ not so much, but I like having the option.

The GTN on my ship, buy it with cartel coins - it costs too many credits, it's nice, but not worth 5mil

mailbox on my ship, use it every time I log in, because I log on my ship since F2P went live.

The 5 second "sell my trash" button - is really really really nice ~ if your bags are always full of multiple gear sets & crafting mats.

reduced CD on QT & fleet pass are pretty meh to be honest.

I could take or leave the practice dummy I bought.

Rocket boots, nice ~ if everyone around you has them too,

otherwise they are a waste of credits that make you look like a ********

The ship "repair droid" that sells droid sensors ~ HUGE RIP OFF~ just board someone else's ship & use theirs. Seriously, after you buy your droid sensor parts, the only use for it is to sell your trash.

I will probably buy the field respec droid

The rest just kind of looks like junk...... EXP unlocks for PvP could be worth buying if you don't intend to do anything besides class missions & PvP. But the other exp unlocks are lackluster when you end up outleveling content so easily.

Lastly, I wouldn't even dream of paying 1mil to unlock HK-51 on an alt. Really - 1mil to completely break my game....gee thanks BW.

Edited by Cleet_Xia

The cartel marget legacy speeder unlock claims to be account wide- but it is actually the same single character unlock as the legacy one. There has been a massive customer support bruhaha going over this. And the launcher has a notice about it. The legacy system unlock is only like 40K credits to unlock speeder 1 training. So at 400cc the unlock is irrationally expensive through the cartel market imho.