[Feedback] Group Finder

thebadmf

Thanks for implementing this.

• The role icons seem to appear on players at random. Started a FP ok, someone left, it showed us as two healers a tank and dps, with me a Jugg dps flagged as heals.

• Big problem I have is when you finish the run and choose 'Exit Area' it puts you outside the instance, not where it ported us from. It's really not very convenient since you're enabling us to find groups more easily and do other things while waiting for said groups.

• After completing the daily, the GF reports that the daily reward has been claimed but it's still green. Maybe that should be another colour as to differentiate it from when the reward is available?

Edited by thebadmf
Update

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There currently seems to be no gear check with the group finder.

This means that fresh 50s can que for the hardest flashpoints regardless of their gear.

This will lead to many people being kicked and many groups being formed that are undergeared for content.

I hope this is only a bug but after 4 groups last night with only one able to actually get anywhere and 3 that had to be completely disbanded due to not being geared enough for Denova, I suspect this is by design.

Might want to rethink that...

I would ask for some kind of on screen icon to show that you are still in the queue. Right now when you close your social window you have nothing till queue pops.

I also second the request for being put back where you started or, at least, give us a free fleet/ship pass like you do for end of class chapters.

Also, let's not get into gear checks (Sparkle above me seems to be on a crusade about it). If anything, do a spec check. I say it's more problematic to have someone specced as DPS to come in under a heal spot.

Edited by Selethar

I would ask for some kind of on screen icon to show that you are still in the queue. Right now when you close your social window you have nothing till queue pops.

I also second the request for being put back where you started or, at least, give us a free fleet/ship pass like you do for end of class chapters.

The little group finder button glows gold when you're in the queue. But yes i also would like to be put where i started. So annoying when i do false emperor and then have to load up ilum once i'm done, i'd rather just go back to the fleet.

Agree with the gear check, though this has to go beyond just a name check as some of us (like me) pull out the mods to keep custom gearing. An examination of stats is also needed for that.

Not to mention how the system would gauge pieces of equipment with lower level enhancements. I keep some lower level enhancements on if the stats on my gear need shifting. Gear checks are an issue to address after the basic system is in place.

Bottom line, your best bet is to just do the right thing and drop if the random HM puts you into a run you're not ready for. It sucks that you'll have to reque, but at least you won't tick off people on your server.

I agree it would be a great feature to have, but today we manually police folks when adding to the group.

Might have to do the same until some sort of criteria can be used that takes into account stats.

Love it so far. But, as the OP mentioned, being dropped outside of the instance instead of back where we ported from is annoying. I won't complain about the travel cost, but the travel time to get back to what we were doing is frustrating. At this point, it seems like we just stay on Fleet and queue - which is hardly different from staying on Fleet and spamming "LFG!!!" in chat.

Also, gear checks. I got a HM Lost Island last night with two players who were very undergeared for the instance. That first real boss is a PUG crusher even with proper gearing. We need something in place to put players into reasonable challenges for their gearing. Throwing a fresh 50 who queued into HM Lost Island with folks in Tier gear isn't fun for anyone involved. Same can be said for ops.

Not to mention how the system would gauge pieces of equipment with lower level enhancements. I keep some lower level enhancements on if the stats on my gear need shifting. Gear checks are an issue to address after the basic system is in place.

Bottom line, your best bet is to just do the right thing and drop if the random HM puts you into a run you're not ready for. It sucks that you'll have to reque, but at least you won't tick off people on your server.

The people on my server don't pay my subscription so who cares if their feelings get hurt.

Knowing that you are an brand new 50 and having to queue up for all 3 to get the reward is not fair to anyone. As long as this system is in place, people who are not geared properly will get in. In contrast, if you are in an guild you will likely be playing with your guildmates. The group finder is for people playing for the rewards and to experience content. That is why it is restricted to storymode, if you are going to be an ***** and play with an unknown group then that is all your decision.

Don't like unknown groups then don't queue when it goes live. Continue playing with your guild.

Because you can solo some of them.

OK so then the tool is really crap, they keep limiting the number of ppl that can join a group, really understand how they think now... again ...

dps LFG The Red Reaper never done before, someone up for? ....

Not sure if this is possible or even desirable to some, but it would be something I would like to see. As a person with 3 Lv50 Characters (soon to be 4), I have 3 characters who can play any role in the game be it tank, dps or healer. It would be good if group finder could show how many of each spec are queued for certain content. I like doing flashpoints and ops and really don't care much whether it's as a Guardian Tank, Shadow DPS or Sage Healer. If there was some way to see that ok, we aren't getting pops because there are not enough tanks queued I can switch to my tank and queue or if there was a shortage of healers or dps, I could use one of the others. I know a few people with multiple 50's and most of us are happy to come as whatever just to make a group so this would be a godsend for us. It means that everyone gets a chance to try some content rather than just having 20-30 dps all queued waiting (and moaning probably) because LFG won't pop because there are too few healers or tanks.

Also remove the lockouts from Story Mode Ops, even if you can only loot each boss once, it allows those who couldn't complete a raid due to people dc'ing or quiting the chance to play from the start, and doesn't punish those who join you because you already killed off some of the bosses.

My original post:

As I type this, there is someone in general chat on fleet actually COORDINATING the roles for people to select to get a flashpoint on Group Finder to pop.

There are not enough healers and tanks. There are NEVER enough healers and tanks. I was actually a supporter of single-server group finder at first, but... Guys, if it's going to be like this, you may as well just not have it.

Cross-server queues are needed. Pull DPS from the same server, try to get healers and tanks from the same server, but if not, find them from a different one. No flashpoints below level 50 are popping at all.

Please reconsider your decision to not implement cross-server capability before this goes live.

Current argument: Adding to the pool of players in the group finder will not fix the problem. (IE: The ratio will be the same.)

This is the best argument I've seen against cross-server, however, I disagree. Cross-server will keep the group finder moving.

Let's say 7 people are looking for a group on server A. There are two tanks, one healer, and 4 DPS.

One group is already formed, and the second just needs a healer.

Meanwhile, on sever B, 7 more people are looking for a group. On this one, there are three healers, a tank, and three DPS. One group is formed here, one healer is taken by server A, and leftover is one DPS and one Healer, who are taken by...

...the first group to start on Server C.

The ratios on every server are not going to be the same, even with transfers coming. There are 120-some servers, and some of them are going to have 2 healers just hanging out in the group finder for hours, or some where a tank just can't catch a break. Resources from those other servers can and SHOULD be pulled in to help groups form.

I have to say that for a so much hyped feature Group finder in it's current state is very basic:

For example, i'm lvl 15 in Dromund Kaas, i can't queue for specific heroics, i can only queue for the whole planet.

when you get on a planet maybe you don't want to do the harder heroics first, maybe you want to get some gear, like this there is no choice for what heroics you queue, seems very restrictive without reason.

same for instances, as a lvl 15 i can only queue for Hammer Station, i understand not being able to queue for higher lvl instances sure, but why can't i queue for BT, 10 to 12 for BT queue seems ridiculously restrictive, many people run BT at 13, 14, 15 or higher, i know you can solo it easily at 15 or even lower but want a group for social points and besides at lvl 15 the other lower lvls in the group still get full xp (i think).

So this Group Finder tool seems to me to be an incomplete, very basic, very restrictive and half a**ed but much hyped feature.

I honestly just think that the burden should be on the player to know which dungeons he's not prepared for and to not queue up for them. Sure, it might require that he attempts it one time and fails miserably. I think the server communities can cope with that.

Thanks for implementing this.

• The role icons seem to appear on players at random. Started a FP ok, someone left, it showed us as two healers a tank and dps, with me a Jugg dps flagged as heals.

• Big problem I have is when you finish the run and choose 'Exit Area' it puts you outside the instance, not where it ported us from. It's really not very convenient since you're enabling us to find groups more easily and do other things while waiting for said groups.

• After completing the daily, the GF reports that the daily reward has been claimed but it's still green. Maybe that should be another colour as to differentiate it from when the reward is available?

This one really needs to be fixed. Otherwise, people will be using the group finder as an easy fleet pass and dropping group as soon as they are teleported in. On top of that, it will discourage people from using the tool while questing because they'd then have to travel all the way back to the planet they were on.

I'd also like them to add a way to do the daily FP conflict quest along with the individual quests without having to obtain them on fleet. Maybe make the daily conflict quest part of the group finder and then make the individual quests occur over your personal comms as the group zones into the FP. Once the final boss dies, the comms come up again to complete the quest.

Edited by Galbatorrix

I would advise the tool is tweaked for the first FP (esseles/talon).

It's a 2 man reccomended group and at lvl 10-11 classes really aren't specialized yet.

I've spent 15min in LFG que for the instance today as did 3 guys next to me. We wouldn't get a pop cos (I assume) we were 1 man short and/or did not have the "healer" archetype. WE proceeded to make a manual group and faceroll the instance.

You really really need to change the pop conditions for the lowbie Esseles. It's the first contact new players will have with the tool/grouping in your game and atm it's just not suited for that first instance. It doesnt shorten a que and facilitate grouping, it elongates the time you're waiting because it's looping around parameters that really have no relevance at that stage. Grab any 2/3/4 classes and chuck them in there. They can't fail. You don't need to woe the newbies with a perfect party composition at that stage, you need to ensure they get a quick pop.

Edited by aeterno

Same feedback here. As a L20 it only lets me queue for Athiss. What if I want to do BT for social points? I then went and picked up the quest for hammerstation, and then group find3er let me queue for it. So now, do I have to go get the quest for lower ones so that it lets me get in? And if so, where do I pickup a quest for BT??

I can see the problem in that if you have lets say 3 L10s waiting for BT and here comes a L50 that joins the group, that might not be desired. But that could be fixed with a button that selects the levels you want in the group you join, lets say same level (+2 and -2) or any level ("open group"). As an idea.

The other thing is what others have said, it would help me a lot to see how many are queued for what, maybe a second tab. This way if I have a couple of alts I might switch and join groups as healer or dps, etc. You don't have to say who, just "Athiss : xx Healers, XX DPS, XX Tank" etc... so that I get an idea of the current distribution and choose where to go/queue.

And yes, more granularity on the planets would help : after you select the planet, let it ask if for quests, heroics, or "anything"...

Oh, on the go back to where you came from : how would you then turn in the quest and get your social points? I can understand what you guys are asking, but, hard to solve, no? After the FP I want to turn in the quest so it is the right place to go.

There currently seems to be no gear check with the group finder.

This means that fresh 50s can que for the hardest flashpoints regardless of their gear.

This will lead to many people being kicked and many groups being formed that are undergeared for content.

I hope this is only a bug but after 4 groups last night with only one able to actually get anywhere and 3 that had to be completely disbanded due to not being geared enough for Denova, I suspect this is by design.

Might want to rethink that...

The group finder also incorrectly allows shadows as "tanks" for hard mode and operation content when 1.3 has removed the ability for them to do so without the Rakata gear or better, compounding this issue. Group finder doesn't help us find groups when we have to spend hours kicking paper tanks with 12,000 hps until we finally get a guardian or vanguard.

I suppose the amount of shadow tanks that will be leaving the game when 1.3 goes live will mitigate this, but it will still be a problem.

Edited by lexiekaboom

Maybe it would be a good idea to lock the hardest operations in the group finder to people who haven't done other operations, such that Normal EV unlocks Hard EV pending successful completion of the operation. What do you guys think? Edited by Odjii

Maybe it would be a good idea to lock the hardest operations in the group finder to people who haven't done other operations, such that Normal EV unlocks Hard EV pending successful completion of the operation. What do you guys think?

You can't group find for hard mode ops.

I'm sorry Bioware, but this group finder seems really half baked so far.

1. No gear check for level 50+ FPs/Ops will equal frustration and bickering.

2. You can't pick up FP quests without going to fleet, which negates being able to queue from any where.

3. Exit area doesn't put you back where you where before the FP. Which means you'll have some people dropping just to get a free fleet pass.

4. level 10 2+ Esseles and BT requiring a full party with tank and heals.

5. EC being included in the same tier as the other Ops.

6. Planetary quests don't include individula heroics, making it's use very limited.

7. Same server means that it will only work well during peak hours.

And that's not mentioning the bugs people have encountered. These things need to be addressed if you want this to succeed.

My ideas...

1. Add some sort of gear check that will only allow queuing into certain FPs and Ops if you meet that score.

2. Allow the daily conflict quest to be accepted through the GF tool. Also, make the individual quests come through the players personal comms upon arriving at the FP. Have the comms come back up after the last boss so the quest can be completed.

3 Make leaving the instance or using "exit area" put you back to where you were when you entered. In the very least, put you back to the nearest med station in the place that you were originally.

4. Make Esseles/BT only require 2 players of any type.

5. Make EC it's on seperate tier so it's not included with the other two SM ops.

6. Make each planet have a sub category that includes individual heroics. I'd love to queue up for "Enemies of the Republic" before leaving Coruscant, but the LFG tool currently doesn't allow this.

7. I know you won't make this cross server yet, but you guys should probably work on it just in case. 1.3's only real show stopper is the LFG tool. If no one can find a group... well, people won't be happy.

Edited by Galbatorrix