How much accuracy do I want?

stephenjohnp

Currently I am picking and choosing between BH/Campaign gear to achieve the overall highest mean mitigation I can get on my Vanguard. To achieve this I often go for gear with She/Abs and She/Def etc, though I do however opt for Acc/Mitigation when I feel a particular stat is lacking.

Because of this approach however my accuracy as began to dip a bit. I am currently aiming to get Campaign Gloves and BH Boots/Helmet. The boot I believe have accuracy, but unfortunately the gear I'll be trading out for the Gloves and Helmet also have accuracy so while I'll gain a fair amount of mitigation, I will be losing some accuracy in the process.

Currently I sit at 97.67% and after this upgrade I'll have about 96.16% and then eventually when I get the Campaign mainhand I'll drop to 94.54%.

So I am starting to wonder how detrimental this is to my ability to build threat. So I am just wondering what is the ideal amount of accuracy to have?

Thanks.

Edited by stephenjohnp

I would assume its at least over 100%

108% sounds about right, If I'm not mistaken, I think I saw that number somewhere. I have no idea about range tanking, so, I'm just guessing here.

you are welcome to correct my error if that is the case.

Currently I am picking and choosing between BH/Campaign gear to achieve the overall highest mean mitigation I can get on my Vanguard. To achieve this I often go for gear with She/Abs and She/Def etc, though I do however opt for Acc/Mitigation when I feel a particular stat is lacking.

Because of this approach however my accuracy as began to dip a bit. I am currently aiming to get Campaign Gloves and BH Boots/Helmet. The boot I believe have accuracy, but unfortunately the gear I'll be trading out for the Gloves and Helmet also have accuracy so while I'll gain a fair amount of mitigation, I will be losing some accuracy in the process.

Currently I sit at 97.67% and after this upgrade I'll have about 96.16% and then eventually when I get the Campaign mainhand I'll drop to 94.54%.

So I am starting to wonder how detrimental this is to my ability to build threat. So I am just wondering what is the ideal amount of accuracy to have?

Thanks.

0 is the ideal amount of accuracy to have for a single-target fight. Since your rail shot is your most effective aoe threat generating ability, you will need at least 5% or so from accuracy. However, if there is an assassin tank in your group, he can probably do all of the aoe tanking you need. So, I'd go with 0 accuracy because accuracy is useless for single-target fights. You build up more than enough threat from your other abilities.

Considering that you come very close to the hard caps of what Defense, Shield Rating, and Absorb can add onto your defensive stats when grabbing Campaign/Black Hole gear, you should do this:

- Prioritize getting your defensive stats near their soft caps for your class

- Dump the rest in Accuracy or Power (Personally, I'd take power, but that's not in any good tanking pieces)

Accuracy for tanks is very similar to Alacrity in healers post 1.3. It's there, it can be used, it's nice to have it, but there are other stats that should take priority.

Edited by ImmortalAlien

Well speaking as an assassin/shadow tank I stopped using it long ago, even before 1.3. I've never needed it to hold aggro or beat an enrage. Can't speak for vanguards but I was trying to convince another shadow tank in my guild that he didn't need that accuracy and he swore by it. I'm the main tank for my guild and he was new (to the guild) so I told him to watch me tank and see how many times I lose aggro. After one trip he replaced all of his accuracy with shield.

Now in 1.3 it's even easier to hold aggro, but again I'm only speaking as a shadow tank.

0 is the ideal amount of accuracy to have

This. Accuracy is useless for a tank. You shouldn't have any problems holding aggro, and if you do, that's what taunts are for.

For Vanguard/Powertech tanks in particular, Accuracy doesn't even help your DPS very much. The only attacks you will ever miss with are some ticks of Hammer Shot and Full Auto (if you even use Full Auto) and the occasional High Impact Bolt. If you were wanting to boost your DPS a bit, you'd almost certainly do better with Crit, Surge, or even Power, rather than Accuracy.

As has already been said: none. Or rather, as little as you can.

Until you find yourself regularly missing bosses (which doesn't happen in SWTOR yet) don't bother with accuracy, you will get much better milage from pumping mitigation. To a degree I think all the accuracy on tank gear was put there so we would take it all out and replace it, giving us something to work towards at each gear tier.

• 2 months later...

Thanks.

just forget about your acuracy. focus on the highest meen mitigation you can get. this will make it easier on your healers to keep you up. accuracy is, in essence, a DPS stat. and thus doesnt help you tank any better. and i know people are gonna say. "WAHHH Agro WAHH" if you are at the same levelof gear as your DPS and have all mitigation augments EX. 18 Defence and 12 power. you will have more than enough threat generation to hold agro. if one particular DPS is giving you trouble. (like a Sentinal doing 1900 DPS on operation bosses (Ex. Catheana of Ebon hawk) then slap a guard on that *****.

• 1 month later...
Just for the sake of any jugg/guardians reading this, remember that patch that "fixed" our AoE threat? Well, it completely broke our single target and now (for both specs) our highest damaging ability throughout a fight is a dodge-able one (sundering assault/strike) so you should use some accuracy if your dps is any good. 5-8% or so seems to do it and you can get 3% of this from the vengeance/vigilance tree. Edited by FillionFan

you want 0 (zero) accuracy as a tank. for every point you have in accuracy your missing out on a point that could be placed in mitigation.

Generally yes. Mitigation > Accuracy for a tank.

However, Accuracy is a good quick way to up your DPS (and TPS) by a noticeable margin (~11%) if you are having trouble keeping aggro. Alternatively you could learn to taunt effectively.

Generally yes. Mitigation > Accuracy for a tank.

However, Accuracy is a good quick way to up your DPS (and TPS) by a noticeable margin (~11%) if you are having trouble keeping aggro. Alternatively you could learn to taunt effectively.

Performing a proper priority queue, guarding the dps that's generating the most aggro and having dps cycle their threat drops is a good, quick, and best way to maintain aggro.

Performing a proper priority queue, guarding the dps that's generating the most aggro and having dps cycle their threat drops is a good, quick, and best way to maintain aggro.

This is true. However, if you with to increase your possible threat/DPS, points in Accuracy will give you more benefit than points in Power, Crit or Surge. That is until you hit about 100% accuracy anyway, once you past that point its next to useless for anyone.

You really don't know how accuracy works.

Try reading some of the earlier posts in this thread or others like this http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=532579

Now back to this

Accuracy is a good quick way to up your DPS (and TPS) by a noticeable margin (~11%) if you are having trouble keeping aggro.

I don't even have time to list all that is wrong with that.

- Since you don't say what class you speak of, I would have to assume that you are claiming it to be same for all tank classes. That is of course wrong as different classes have different number of abilities that are or are not affected by accuracy and those abilities do different percentage of their overall damage.

-Your posts are also written in a way that suggests that you believe that accuracy affects all damaging abilities. That is wrong too. Force and Tech abilities will hit 100% of the time even with 0 accuracy rating in gear, and are not affected by accuracy rating in any way what so ever. Also even with abilities that are affected, there is a difference between normal attacks and special attacks.

-Your post also suggest that the increase in TPS would be equal to the increase in DPS. That is wrong too, since some abilities do have higher threat modifier than others compared to the damage they do, and some of these are not affected by accuracy.

Now lets take for example this combat log posted by some friendly Vanguard with 0 accuracy rating.

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/combatlog/3440e78f-f32f-449e-9c9b-7d4561fe2cc9/player/6#d=0,b=1

Now as we can see most of his abilities do hit all the time (are not avoided at all). Now if you calculate the attacks that were avoided and how much of his total damage done they were and how much of that damage did miss, you can see that the amount of damage he missed due to lack of accuracy is even less than 2% of his total damage done. Pretty far from the ~11% you claimed.

Edited by Eternalnight

Since it's Grall, I'm generally pretty willing to give him the benefit of the doubt concerning his ignorance of mechanics. I know for a fact that he knows that accuracy has no appreciable effect upon F/T attacks, in PvE or PvP. As such, when I read his statement, I included the unspoken caveats of "For Guardians". It should be relatively obvious since both VGs and Shadows use F/T attacks as a *vast* majority of their threat generation (Shadows are ~90%; VGs are something like 85%) whereas Guardians rely, in a less significant majority, on M/R attacks (60-70%, iirc). No Shadow or VG should have *any* appreciable Accuracy on their gear (they'll actually get more out of Power, since they're only missing out on about 1-2% of total DPS by not having it), but a Guardian could see some appreciable use out of it (Missing accounts for ~4-5% of total DPS loss so bridging that gap can account for more; even so, I would still opt for Strength rather than Accuracy for a Guardian since Strength is both a mitigation stat, thanks to Blade Barrier, and a threat gen stat).

You really don't know how accuracy works.

Try reading some of the earlier posts in this thread or others like this http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=532579

Now back to this

- Since you don't say what class you speak of, I would have to assume that you are claiming it to be same for all tank classes. That is of course wrong as different classes have different number of abilities that are or are not affected by accuracy and those abilities do different percentage of their overall damage.

-Your posts are also written in a way that suggests that you believe that accuracy affects all damaging abilities. That is wrong too. Force and Tech abilities will hit 100% of the time even with 0 accuracy rating in gear, and are not affected by accuracy rating in any way what so ever. Also even with abilities that are affected, there is a difference between normal attacks and special attacks.

-Your post also suggest that the increase in TPS would be equal to the increase in DPS. That is wrong too, since some abilities do have higher threat modifier than others compared to the damage they do, and some of these are not affected by accuracy.

Now lets take for example this combat log posted by some friendly Vanguard with 0 accuracy rating.

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/combatlog/3440e78f-f32f-449e-9c9b-7d4561fe2cc9/player/6#d=0,b=1

Now as we can see most of his abilities do hit all the time (are not avoided at all). Now if you calculate the attacks that were avoided and how much of his total damage done they were and how much of that damage did miss, you can see that the amount of damage he missed due to lack of accuracy is even less than 2% of his total damage done. Pretty far from the ~11% you claimed.

Given that the latest time accuracy was brought up was in respect to Guardians: yes I was talking about them. Accuracy has next to no value for the other 2 tank classes. If you wish to make assumptions that ignore the context of the thread AND throw doubt on a post: go for it. Don't expect me to take you seriously though.

Also remember that Force/Tech attacks have a base 100% accuracy while Melee/Ranged is only 90% base accuracy. Given Guardians make extensive use melee attacks. Accuracy does reflect a noticable increase in DPS and TPS.

You should also note: I said "Or you could learn to taunt effectively". Highlighting that accuracy is worth even less if you know how to play.

Also remember that Force/Tech attacks have a base 100% accuracy while Melee/Ranged is only 90% base accuracy.

Actually, this is a bit wrong. Special melee attacks (re: everything but your basic attack) have a 100% chance to hit. The reason that you don't always hit is because operations bosses have a certain amount of defense (6-8%, iirc) that needs to be counteracted.

Given that the latest time accuracy was brought up was in respect to Guardians: yes I was talking about them. Accuracy has next to no value for the other 2 tank classes. If you wish to make assumptions that ignore the context of the thread AND throw doubt on a post: go for it. Don't expect me to take you seriously though.

Also remember that Force/Tech attacks have a base 100% accuracy while Melee/Ranged is only 90% base accuracy. Given Guardians make extensive use melee attacks. Accuracy does reflect a noticable increase in DPS and TPS.

You should also note: I said "Or you could learn to taunt effectively". Highlighting that accuracy is worth even less if you know how to play.

Basic attacks (Strike, Hammer Shot, Flurry of Bolts, Saber Strike) have base 90% Accuracy, "Special" attacks (ones that cost resources + zealot strike & guardian strike) have base 100% Accuracy (Force/ Tech accuracy).

"Special" attacks (ones that cost resources + zealot strike & guardian strike) have base 100% Accuracy (Force/ Tech accuracy).

It's important to remember that entities have different Defense (applied to melee/range) and Resistance (applied to Force/Tech) chances. Pretty much universally, everything in the game has lower Resistance chances (almost always 0%) compared to Defense Chances. Even if you only ever used Special M/R attacks, you'd still miss thanks to that Defense Chance as opposed to F/T attacks that will pretty much never miss (except against exceptionally higher level enemies).

It's important to remember that entities have different Defense (applied to melee/range) and Resistance (applied to Force/Tech) chances. Pretty much universally, everything in the game has lower Resistance chances (almost always 0%) compared to Defense Chances. Even if you only ever used Special M/R attacks, you'd still miss thanks to that Defense Chance as opposed to F/T attacks that will pretty much never miss (except against exceptionally higher level enemies).

Right, I forgot to extrapolate.

you want 0 (zero) accuracy as a tank. for every point you have in accuracy your missing out on a point that could be placed in mitigation.

Normally, maybe. Most of Juggs' damage comes from abilities with 90% accuracy (rage builder) and we have crap for threat right now to begin with so if you miss with these your threat will suck. Please go back to your Sin/PT and speak only for your tank class.

...a Guardian could see some appreciable use out of it (Missing accounts for ~4-5% of total DPS loss so bridging that gap can account for more; even so, I would still opt for Strength rather than Accuracy for a Guardian since Strength is both a mitigation stat, thanks to Blade Barrier, and a threat gen stat).

Generally true, but I decided to test Sonic/Blade Barrier a week or so ago and took off half my gear entirely and it took the absorption down from ~950 to ~850 and most of this would have been the set bonus loss so the amount gained by strength is still negligible if any. The amount absorbed still seems at least relatively static, and I would like to see some actual proof of the supposed formula that uses force healing (or for that matter an log in which a single barrier absorbed more than ~1000).

Most of Juggs' damage comes from abilities with 90% accuracy (rage builder)

First off, the only attack that Jugg/Guards use that has the 90% baseline chance to hit is Strike. Sundering Strike isn't considered a basic attack and, as such, benefits from the 100% base accuracy of Special M/R attacks.

Secondly, you get the Focus whether you hit with the Focus generator or not. Missing only affects your damage, not your resource generation.