Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ben Irving leaving BioWare

casirabit
08.22.2019 , 04:32 PM | #21
Why does it matter what he did or didn't do. He's leaving and I wish him the best. Sure he made mistakes but I am not going to dwell on it. It's done and over with no sense holding a grudge. Let the past be the past and go forward from there.
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing. If you like redheads click my Referral link Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/VkfKqj https://poshmark.com/closet/tmcevoy1121

Rion_Starkiller
08.23.2019 , 10:08 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
The orange is why I wouldn't even start to try to blame him for anything. I mean really, who knows except for those close to him and those in charge of making decisions for the game exactly what he had control of.

And for what it's worth, I really enjoy your no-nonsense style of post writing. I can appreciate someone that isn't here for other's amusement. You just put your opinion down no matter how crude and rude and just let the chips fall where they may!

Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

lol did you just insult me? That was a bit of a backhanded complement 😂 Luckily, I have a dark and salty sense of humor.

I don't necessarily have popular opinions, but I'm okay with that. I also don't hold grudges for very long. I understand that people and opinions evolve, change, and grow -- which is why I wish people were more direct and expressive of their feelings/opinions.
-Beruhl
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Lies have been corrected.

Lhancelot
08.23.2019 , 12:41 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
lol did you just insult me? That was a bit of a backhanded complement 😂 Luckily, I have a dark and salty sense of humor.

I don't necessarily have popular opinions, but I'm okay with that. I also don't hold grudges for very long. I understand that people and opinions evolve, change, and grow -- which is why I wish people were more direct and expressive of their feelings/opinions.
I also think grudges are a total waste of time and energy. It takes a lot for me to hold an eternal grudge against someone!

I never develop hatred for people via forums interaction, I mean rarely does our online persona mirror our actual personalities when face to face, plus nothing here we are discussing is worth hating anyone over.

Different opinions are nice because it's always good to see the other side of a coin, imo. I learn more by hearing other opinions versus hearing my own voice in an echo chamber.

That being said, let's wish Ben good luck and hope he takes good knowledge of how to develop a game to some future game. The world needs a new, good MMO.
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
I've lost more SWTOR friends to excessive grind than to any other factor! Too many game companies think more grind = more player engagement = more player satisfaction - it doesn't. RNG is lazy, RNG is cheap, RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.

jimmorrisson
08.27.2019 , 09:37 AM | #24
I do not blame former Ben Irving for EA's end game monetization loot box subscribe-to-grind scheme.

Under Irving, when 4.0 was released back in 2015 currency was streamlined, PVP gear was easier to get and we got a lot of subscriber gifts. 2016 saw the implementation of RNG loot boxes with 5.0's release which resulted in a online riot here on the forums and in-game. The result was a gift of something like 1500cc for subscribed players and a new pyramid direct-purchase scheme using the quasi-currency "unassembled components". (EA's gear monetization schemes blew up spectacularly with the release of Battle Front 2017)

I do blame the current producer for 2017's disastrous server merge implementation (Update 5.5's "United Forces"). There was near universal agreement that server merges were needed. Current Producer walked us through the process without telling us the final disastrous result:

West Coast servers were merged into a East Coast located server where Bioware waited till the last possible moment to inform everyone about it. The result was a dramatic population reduction for the server once known as Harbinger , as many APAC quit the game en masse. Existing East Coast servers were then merged with RP-dominant Ebon Hawk renamed Star Forge.

In retrospect an optimal server merge would all formerly RP servers merged into Ebon Hawk and all PVE/PVE servers merged into Harbinger preferably in a West Coast datacenter.

merovejec
08.27.2019 , 02:49 PM | #25
I do wish him all the best but I am glad he is gone from the company. It will take some time to heal the wounds he caused but eventually the games will get over it. As it was stated already I hope that he learns form his mistakes and will be a better producer to where ever he is heading.
Merovejec
7 days of being a sub, try it! Refferal Link
Achievements 5.10 69015

RahaylaCora
08.28.2019 , 08:19 AM | #26
Glad to see him away. How a wrong leader can waste a whole team work. Kotfe/Kotet were awesome quality parts, but not for this game (respect to all workers staff). But montly chapter plan was a clear unfair way to force people to subscribe (because the non stop subscription reward when all the chapters were available).

Then he comes with the horrible Galactic Command system, another way to force players subscriptions, with the ops passes removal. So after ruining SWTOR playerbase numbers, he tried to force the rest to keep their subscription; looks so abusive behaviour for your most loyal players. Server merge is the proof of how much players he pushed away from the game (in case someone still thinks that he did a good job).

No extra words needed for Anthem catastrophe. The guy must have a charm, or a sweet voice, or something that hypnotizes his industry bosses, because results doesn't back him up. His is the only name in game industry that i will be aware, before trying a new game. His footmark is just "I don't know how to have fun on a game".

So glad to see him gone from Bioware. Maybe still the studio has a chance for recovery. Art design and overall quality is still there. Best wishes to all the staff.