Is Sorcerer broken class?

TGaP_Andrey

So, we cannot into PvE healing -- u all know that, our ratio of survivability/output damage in PvE definitely sucks in comparison with snipers and maras -- we r not wanted in FPs and ops, but about PvP it's just shameful even to mention: the most "thin" class with a minimum of surv-CDs and brilliant bubble-self-stun(!) -- target №1 in every arena or WZ.

I maked sorcerer as my very first character in SWTOR, when i was beginner yet, because lore: well, you know, I like lightning, the dark side and stuff like that. I leveled my sorcerer lovingly three months, killed million mobs and completed hundreds of the most boring and stupid quests, where my only joy was the opportunity to torture NPCs (yeeeeeeaaah, that was damn great, i admit it! :rak_grin:). Passed every meter of the new location with fight, dying on the bosses and desperately trying to kill dat s hit with broken gear, just to not have to go to it again from the beginning.

I went through the seven circles of hell, to level the most helpless and useless class in the game... Ironic, isn't it? And what am i supposed to do with this?.. I'm too sentimental to abandon my first character and play someone else, and, ugh, i don't want to level someone from 1 to 55 again. So, the only possible two options that are available is to suffer or go for a space-PvP?

P.S.: English is not my native language, so i'm sorry for possible mistakes.

Can you tell a bit more, what are the problems you meet? Do you speak about DPS only, or healing too?

Sorc/sage healers are very much wanted in FPs, and OPs of all levels. Usually we mix the healing classes, with the sorc/sage as core, and either operative or merc as the other healer. If the group already has a sorc/sage as regular healer, then yes, one is out of luck, though. Not because it is a weak class, but because the other classes complement them better than 2 of the same.

If highest DPS numbers is your primary objective, then yes, sorc DPS is not your first choice. I personally do not play a sorc DPS, but play with them often in FPs, and also, bit less often, but still, in OPs. So, "not wanted" is relative, even for DPS.

Edited by Nazdika

Ok, I may not do group content that much

Or rather at all :p

, but what I see and hear around me and what I think is the following:

"Would you deny to have a priest as a Main Healer in wow?"<-see, Sages/sorcs are pretty priest-like. Ok, DPS trees are Wizard like, but the Healing tree is definitely inspired by wow priest.

As for DPS: Yes, I imagine sorc having just average parses, but that does not tell the whole story! Answer me this:

"Which class has equal RAW damage output to yours? Even better, which class has equal AoE capabilities to yours?"

See, you can wipe the floor with a Flood of adds, but you can't deal with a boss for the Life of it. Fair enough imo. And yes, AoE focus = Evocation school imo(close enough).

You just need to change the angle at which you're viewing sorc. Is all.

Edited by Cuiwe

I don't see anything that points at the class being broken. I love DPSing on my sorc in madness. It's the simplest roation in game and does very high sustained numbers, higher than snipers or rauders right now on the dps leader boards. The heals can be excellent. Why do you think it's broken??? Edited by KevMeup

I don't see anything that points at the class being broken. I love DPSing on my sorc in madness. It's the simplest roation in game and does very high sustained numbers, higher than snipers or rauders right now on the dps leader boards. The heals can be excellent. Why do you think it's broken???

Well, Madness is broken in the complete opposite way. Basically it is the only viable build for sorc these days. It does better parses than a "turret" Lightning build (which should have advantage in parses, because you stand still), so yeah, there is probably something wrong...

The only problem with the class is PvP healing. Everything else is good in my opinion.

Plenty of DPS in PvP/PvE with decent energy management.

Plenty of heals in PvE with decent energy management.

Healing in PvP isn't great though. No good on-the-move heals and energy management is difficult because you're constantly healing, you cannot really use consumption because you're only making yourself die faster and everytime you get interrupted you're essentially throwing away force.

PVP wise, ya gotta be smart... positioning.. knwoing when to run... going unnoticed as long as possible,,,

today alone had a 800k dmg/ 200k healing game as madness, pugged, won the warzone

and a 600kdmg/350k healing game as lightning, pugged, and won the warzone

but also ina game i stupidly chased a sniper and got stuck out in the open with no LOS, no force barrier and got absolutely lit up and was embaressed....

this class can throw alot of dmg out and support (bubbles, extrication) ... but you cant charge head strong into the fray...

SO moral of the story... you can easily lead your team in dmg and healing done and be a fking hero..

but just as easily get trained/focused/blown up.. we take more damage than anyone.. ive eaten 11k and 12k heatseekers, routinely executed for 9k, sniped for 9k etc...

play smart....

AS for organized pvp.. sorcs a liability lol...

The only problem with the class is PvP healing. Everything else is good in my opinion.

Plenty of DPS in PvP/PvE with decent energy management.

Plenty of heals in PvE with decent energy management.

Healing in PvP isn't great though. No good on-the-move heals and energy management is difficult because you're constantly healing, you cannot really use consumption because you're only making yourself die faster and everytime you get interrupted you're essentially throwing away force.

Okay, i suppose i must explain my topic-thought: DPS/HPS is not the problem of class, yeah. Problem is damn survivability: we just haven't anything to defend ourselves. Static Barrier, u said? Lol, this s_hit drops after one Saber Throw or any other average attacking skill. And then we can only die in 2-3 seconds against every class except other sorc! Or put that joke called Force Barrier. Self-stun and 3m-CD -- niiiiiice. And we don't have any f_ucking talent in all trees, which can provide us even minimal defence against any f_ucking attacks! Even our Knockback-Button incredibly suck in comparison with it's analogues of other classes.

TL;DR: Amount of damage that we receive is just ridiculously huge and we don't have anything to oppose it.

Edited by TGaP_Andrey

U forgot a part about "Heal To Full Make Them Pay".

You know the worst. Playing a Sorc is exactly H2F&MTP™

It works. As a Healer or Lightning if you're attacked, kite them, LoS them and H2F. If you're Madness just do that and DoT them to hell too.

A nice trick is Whirlwind > Affliction > TB (Lightning) or CrD (Madness). Affliction ticks at 3 sec. So someone smart seeing Affliction won't break Whirlwind which keep them from interrupting your cast. Slow them and Force Speed behind a corner and cast a heal. Keep your bubble up.

If you're Madness. DO NOT tab-DoT. DoT your target and kill it. you can throw out one or two affliction if they are gonna be boosted by Death Field and you're at full Force. You can't do more. Not if you were smart enough to take Fadeout instead of Reserves. If you're attacked by two guys. Don't try to win... Kite the hell outta them and wait out. Keep your DoTs up on one of them Affliction on the other and Deathmark buff. If there is three guys you're dead. Try to survive as long as possible so your team keep the advantage where they are.

If you're Lightning. AoE are your friends. Use them. You can really AoE people all day with Hard-cast CL > FS > CL >FS > FS > CL If something is still alive, you did something wrong. And you can basicly get over 17k burst with Affliction > TB > Reck - CL. Lightning have nice kiting tools in Eletric Binding. But yes you're easy as hell to shut down. That's why you need to learn how to kite.

If you're a healer. Run little Sorc, Run cause when you'll stop I'll kill you ;)

I main a sorc. I don't do a lot of pve but I keep up just fine whether dps or heals.

In pvp for a bit it was very hard being a sorc but they fixed a good bit of that.

Right now 30 16 lightning madness is fantastic damage in pvp with no force issues, not good 1v1 unless you get your burst rotation started before they get theirs started.

Madness in pvp right now is in a good place and I often get thru wz without dying at all, and great damage too.

There is a big, big skill gap with average sorcs and really good ones.

Edited by Stringray

Well, Madness is broken in the complete opposite way. Basically it is the only viable build for sorc these days. It does better parses than a "turret" Lightning build (which should have advantage in parses, because you stand still), so yeah, there is probably something wrong...

Actually currently it works as intended... if a burst spec was parsing higher than a sustained spec, then what is the point of playing a sustained spec at all?

Actually currently it works as intended... if a burst spec was parsing higher than a sustained spec, then what is the point of playing a sustained spec at all?

Whats the point in playing a *burst spec* when the damage from burst takes over 4 seconds to start from a pull?

Also Lightning is the LEAST MOBILE, MOST SQUISHY spec in this entire game, and yet it is also near the bottom of the DPS charts.

Sorry but a 500 dps difference between Madness (an extremely mobile, much more tanky sorc class) and Lightning (COMPLETELY IMMOBILE) is one of the greatest travesties in this game.

And I play every AC every spec in this game in both pvp and pve.

Ok, I may not do group content that much

Or rather at all :p

, but what I see and hear around me and what I think is the following:

"Would you deny to have a priest as a Main Healer in wow?"<-see, Sages/sorcs are pretty priest-like. Ok, DPS trees are Wizard like, but the Healing tree is definitely inspired by wow priest.

As for DPS: Yes, I imagine sorc having just average parses, but that does not tell the whole story! Answer me this:

"Which class has equal RAW damage output to yours? Even better, which class has equal AoE capabilities to yours?"

See, you can wipe the floor with a Flood of adds, but you can't deal with a boss for the Life of it. Fair enough imo. And yes, AoE focus = Evocation school imo(close enough).

You just need to change the angle at which you're viewing sorc. Is all.

As for Sorc parses go.... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao-urXta1qC8dEFNTlMzVnJHVVpDNDUwZ3lmVkVOcWc&usp=drive_web#gid=9

We are in a good spot, its our ARMOR and survival that makes us a COMPLETE liability to Nightmare raiding. I had to switch to another class due to NiM DP mechanics so I do not get 30k blasts when stuff hits the fan.

This patch however MIGHT change that with the 20% armor buff and Unnatural Pres being off GCD (about time)

So for DPS? Good stop.

Survival? We are in trouble.

Healing? MIGHT be fixed with this patch, we will see.