Bot-stopping methods!

Ascertes

The name pretty much says it all. I've created this thread for people who (like me!) enjoy breaking bots and are fed up with them in our game and fueling credit sellers. I got this idea after a botter admitted to using a bot and told me that by breaking him I was "changing nothing."

In truth, he is probably right. Alone I accomplish very little, aside from robbing them of a few hundred thousand credits for a few hours at a time. And we all know that amount is pitiful. So I came up with this. Even if at least 1 person learns a new way to break a bot, that's another scratch in their income, and enough scratches creates a dent, and eventually shatters.

So I'll start things off and I'll compile a list of methods in this post as more people put in their methods.

Here's my method on Ilum for breaking the Imperial credit farmers at the Republic Forward Camp:

1. Use a character that has a pull ability. Kill the botter mid farming. (Obviously this only works on a PvP server) They will respawn. Head towards the main Imperial Base, on the way you'll probably encounter them again. Kill them again. Get up onto the northern ice ledge just north of the Imperial Base. The character will come running by again, in which case you pull them onto the ledge! The bot will not function on the ledge, however DO NOT USE A COMPANION FOR THIS AS THEY WILL ATTACK YOUR COMPANION AND IF YOU LEAVE THE LEDGE THEY WILL FOLLOW. Ta-da! Broken.

2. Same as number 1, but instead you pull their companion. Kill their companion, and if they leapt after you onto the ledge then push them off. The bot will attempt to revive their companion, but cannot get to them and is thus broken.

Here's a method provided by Andrellma for the Rakghoul event:

When I spot botters during the rakghoul event, I make sure to explode on them.

Short term fix, doesn't take them out long...but it's something!

Here's my method for breaking the Republic Credit Farmers on Ilum at the Heroic 4 Area:

Use a class that has a pull, similar to the one provided to break the Imperials. Kill them mid farm. They will respawn. Make your way to a small little ice cliff just north west of the camp, directly between the Republic Base and the Sith Camp. From here, pull their companion onto the ledge. Kill the companion. They will be unable to revive their companion and will thus be broken!

Here's a method provided by mephistosaurus to deal with the speed hackers (helpful on Rishi)

I report the ones that pop up like the creatures from Tremors. I target, add to friends list so I can see when that toon is on. Ill usually travel to the world they are on, and if I see em at it again I report. This has gone on for 10 days at the longest but they get deactivated pretty fast if you lock onto one, and report everytime you see them breaking TOS.

Glad to see Bioware taking notice of our good efforts :)

Here's my method to break the Imperial Credit Farmers on Corellia at the Corsec Bulwark:

1. Kill the bot mid farm. Make your way out of the Corsec Bullwark and towards the Imperial Med Center THAT IS NOT BY THE TRAM STATION. If you follow the main street out of the bulwark, take a left and you'll see a ledge on the other side of the ramp. When the bot comes by, have your companion attack. They will retaliate and pursue. Get them close to the ledge, and knock them into the pit! ta-da! Broken.

2. PvE'ers listen up! I have something you might enjoy. I'm not sure if this works on other servers, but it works for me on Jung Ma with my own imperial characters. First, you'll see a Corsec Officer patrolling mindlessly between the two sets of stairs at the back of the bulwark. They Bot will attack them if they get their sights on it. Your job is, once they start attacking, to pull/taunt/lead this officer over to a mob on the eastern stairs that consists of 2 elite corsec droids and a Strong corsec probe droid. For some reason, at least for me on Jung Ma, this mob is...broken. Whenever you attack them you will get an Evasion sign after a few seconds, causing the mob to reset. Pulling that officer over to that mob will cause this mob to attack the bot and vice versa, and inevitably get it stuck in an unending loop with the constant Evasions from that mob. Thus, it will become broken.

General PvE Server Tactics

The key to breaking bots, especially credit farmers, is to focus on pulling/taunting the mob they are fighting into the area you want the bot to enter. If it's a pit, push the NPC they're fighting into said pit. if a ledge, pull the NPC onto the ledge. It's the same principle as PvP tactics except having to undergo an extra step. Hopefully this will help our PvE friends out there!

Share your methods below! :D

Edited by Ascertes

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The name pretty much says it all. I've created this thread for people who (like me!) enjoy breaking bots and are fed up with them in our game and fueling credit sellers. I got this idea after a botter admitted to using a bot and told me that by breaking him I was "changing nothing."

In truth, he is probably right. Alone I accomplish very little, aside from robbing them of a few hundred thousand credits for a few hours at a time. And we all know that amount is pitiful.

So I came up with this. Even if at least 1 person learns a new way to break a bot, that's another scratch in their income, and enough scratches creates a dent, and eventually shatters.

So I'll start things off and I'll compile a list of methods in this post as more people put in their methods.

Here's my method on Ilum for breaking the Imperial credit farmers at the Republic Forward Camp:

1. Use a character that has a pull ability. Kill the botter mid farming. (Obviously this only works on a PvP server) They will respawn. Head towards the main Imperial Base, on the way you'll probably encounter them again. Kill them again. Get up onto the northern ice ledge just north of the Imperial Base. The character will come running by again, in which case you pull them onto the ledge! The bot will not function on the ledge, however DO NOT USE A COMPANION FOR THIS AS THEY WILL ATTACK YOUR COMPANION AND IF YOU LEAVE THE LEDGE THEY WILL FOLLOW. Ta-da! Broken.

2. Same as number 1, but instead you pull their companion. Kill their companion, and if they leapt after you onto the ledge then push them off. The bot will attempt to revive their companion, but cannot get to them and is thus broken.

Share your methods below! :D

Do you know what Treasure CHEST do not give you more any credits only garbage craft items?

Now let's figure out something to deal with mailing bots. There are usually one or three of them residing permanently by the first mailbox on every single starter world, same character for hours on end. For DAYS. They're either turning around in place or keep enabling/disabling sprint to avoid going AFK. I used to report them as spam on sight, but... it has no effect really except clogging the system, probably. And being the mean sith that I am I'd love to make their life miserable somehow, too.

I've noticed recently that a bot hits several slicing nodes on Rishi. They appear, hit the node, vanish, reapear at the next node and so on. I followed it for a minute the other day, not sure how he is vanishing and re-appearing.

Wish I could mess up its flow.

I've noticed recently that a bot hits several slicing nodes on Rishi. They appear, hit the node, vanish, reapear at the next node and so on. I followed it for a minute the other day, not sure how he is vanishing and re-appearing.

In Elder Scrolls Online, they could actually travel beneath the world. You would see their head pop up for a brief second right before the node they were harvesting would disappear. I actually saw a screen shot of this bot action once from the bots perspective. They could avoid any terrain obstacles and mobs and active nodes would light up where you could see them above you.

Edited by ForceWelder

Now let's figure out something to deal with mailing bots. There are usually one or three of them residing permanently by the first mailbox on every single starter world, same character for hours on end. For DAYS. They're either turning around in place or keep enabling/disabling sprint to avoid going AFK. I used to report them as spam on sight, but... it has no effect really except clogging the system, probably. And being the mean sith that I am I'd love to make their life miserable somehow, too.

Unfortunately I'm not aware of any methods, but maybe someone else knows. My expertise lies in breaking credit farmers. Hopefully if somebody knows they will share their method with us!

If you're on a PvP server there is probably a way to do it. I'll investigate and see what I can find and I'll get back to you.

one thing I'd like BW to do is just have a captcha pop up if you send more than 2-3 mails in quick succession, failing the captcha will result in mail being blocked for 24 hrs.

Also, make the first few mailboxes on a world unable to send mail, only receive.

one thing I'd like BW to do is just have a captcha pop up if you send more than 2-3 mails in quick succession, failing the captcha will result in mail being blocked for 24 hrs.

Also, make the first few mailboxes on a world unable to send mail, only receive.

and if you fail that test, the game flags you for pvp, and anyone can attack. even on the fleet.

And how would someone send a message to an in-game friend that wasn't online? If any mailbox on Ord Mantell can send mail then rather than stand at the one outside the spaceport/near the wrecked walker, the spammers just run up to Fort Garnik and use the mailbox there, or take a taxi to wherever a fully functional mailbox was located.

That's not going to stop them, but it will make life harder on the regular player that just wants to send a message to someone else.

And the captcha? It might help if the spammers are using mailbots. If not, then I hope I don't make any mistakes while typing in a sequence while making a mass mailing of materials or items between characters.

If I make a new character and decide that they will be a synthweaver, for example, I have many mailings worth of materials and schematics that I have accumulated over time for that character to use.

That makes for a lot of rapid mailings in succession. To suspend me from mail use for 24 hours because I thought that that "G" was a "6" or made some random typo seems extreme.

Edited by Mithros

I wish there was a solid solution for all servers, this has become insane. I'm getting several mails a day on each alt, they clog up general chat, etc...The one bad thing about the game going f2p in my opinion. You never saw this kind of thing before.

Wait... they admitted to credit farming? Or admitted using a bot? The former is very much allowed, the latter is very much against the ToS.

Oh, sorry that wasn't clear. Admitted to using a bot. Credit farmers don't bug me so long as they do it without using bots. People farm credits all the time in heroics, myself included.

Might I also add he admitted to working for a credit selling site...

(Yes I filed a ticket)

Unfortunately this game is people friendly and actually harassing people is quite hard and thus its even harder to harass a botting toon.

Any PvE server tips are most welcome.

The only characters I actively use are all stationed on PvP severs I'm afraid so I'm not going to be much help. The only thing I can think of is trying to steal their kills, but that's tedious and time consuming...

If anyone knows anything, please say so!

If you're on a PvP server there is probably a way to do it. I'll investigate and see what I can find and I'll get back to you.

UPDATE: Well, I have a mixed bag of results. Firstly I went to 4 different servers on Rishi...and didn't encounter a single bot. I found several security chests, but after waiting around for a bit for somebody to show up I just took them for myself.

The good news: There were no bots where I went! Huzzah! Also, there are several good ledges and rock faces that you could easily climb up and pull bots onto in order to break them, much like my Ilum method. So if you do see any, you know what to do...

The bad news: Since I didn't encounter any, I wasn't able to really test any methods whether it be PvP or otherwise :|

I've seen this one too, on Ebon Hawk. They run around the Aggressor Camp on Rishi as a level 50 Sorcerer and hit all the slicing boxes really quickly without aggroing any mobs. They appear to fall through the elevated walkways from time to time and become visible, which is how I targeted them, then a few seconds after the last box they vanish. Then do it all over again after the boxes respawn.

I'm not really sure what you guys mean by "bot" but how are they moving around so fast and without getting any agro from the mobs?

I filed a ticket about it.

I've seen this one too, on Ebon Hawk. They run around the Aggressor Camp on Rishi as a level 50 Sorcerer and hit all the slicing boxes really quickly without aggroing any mobs. They appear to fall through the elevated walkways from time to time and become visible, which is how I targeted them, then a few seconds after the last box they vanish. Then do it all over again after the boxes respawn.

I'm not really sure what you guys mean by "bot" but how are they moving around so fast and without getting any agro from the mobs?

I filed a ticket about it.

By bots we refer to people who are running a script in the background that controls their character for them so they don't have to do anything while their character grinds out credits, rewards, etc. These are against the rules of just about every MMO in existence and they destroy everything they touch. Many of these bots are also controlled by credit selling sites, another thing that is against the rules of almost all MMO's.

And they're moving around so fast due to a speed hack that these bots have been utilizing for some time. They're scum and need to be dealt with. It's a good thing you filed a ticket, but usually nothing ever comes out of them. Hence why I made this thread, so we as players can do something about this plague.