Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Shield Tech Powertech PvP Guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Shield Tech Powertech PvP Guide

Nezyrworks
01.18.2017 , 05:49 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Baby-Girl View Post
Thank you for the utility tip! I wondered if anyone used that utility in PVP as it seemed like it could be a great way to keep sents/marauders out of the way of the healers for a short time or, pull the ball carrier back to reality.

You mention that endurance gear is a waste for TR and that you are going full skank tank. Can you share your approach to gearing? It would be appreciated as I would like to see what other mods etc folks are using om Vanguards post 5.0.

Cheers,
Sure! I had exajurated abit, because of TRE meta. I do have 2 sets, 1 of them being 240s (except couple of armorings for set bonuses purposes) the other being 230/240s, but here it goes:

• Full Skank dps gear: All Lethal Mods (high power), 2 Alacrity Enhancements enahcements - rest for Crit (Adept & Quick Savant), DPS relics, Versatile Stim, Implants, and Earpieces for crit, all Augments with Mastery, shield generator.
  • When to use: I am using Skank tank against sniper, mara, sin combo, because PT is not then directly forced into melee with 2 melee dpsers that can launch AOE. 48% crit, 72% surge makes your Searing wave deal with that sniper quite well scoring you even 28k hits.

• Survival gear: All mods and Enhancements Highest endurance+crit, All augments with high endurance & Power, Versatile stim, shield generator, Earpieces and Implants with Shield & Defense/Power & Crit.
  • When to use: Against Eng sniper+mara+PT tank, 2 melee DPS on the opposite team, 2 Ranged DPS paired. Why? Against 2 melee or mara+eng combo its self explanatory - you will eat alot of AOE. Your guarded target also. Considering slows, mezzes and AOE you need that extra shield, and health. Against 2 ranged, you will eat alot of burst, and you don't want to get shatter armor from sniper+Arsenal merc and their burst on your ~140k health as a skank swaping when you are low.

Because recently i am explicitly facing teams using tankasin, carnimara, MMsnip, sorchealz i am using skank, as i can't be the focus target, and sniper is severly hampered in therms of DPS (elemental damage works wounders on him, and usualy i am calling for a hardswap on the sniper before the other targets reach that ~40% bracket). Sniper swaping on you makes his life even harder considering a huge chunk of his dps is still a subject to defense (white damage), as well as shield and absorb. Mara swaping on you while you are on sniper ears OIL+slow+Searing wave damage reduction by 5% and carbo at the same time.

PT tank have its uses, but his defensive capabilites are severly limited to very fast guardswaps and some peel tools, but if you consider meta and it's offensive capabilites against sniper i would say it gives your team an edge in the fight vs tankasin. Tho sin will be favourable in any other conditions, when sniper is not MM or it is replaced by any other class (merc for instance).
Meet the Pyro!

NINJAMANDOAX
01.19.2017 , 12:59 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Kirpputori View Post
I was really surprised how nicely it crits. Usual biggest hit is around 18-22k and i've even peaked at 37k And ofc if managing to hit like 5 people with it, thats pretty nice.
Also dps overall seem to be quite decent, i break 3k every now and then. (depends a lot on what kind of match it is)

Edit: Just had a wz with 4,4k dps though it was just full on dmg farming (well, still 1,2mil protection). Just shows that you can do some decent dps with it too

Hey there, could you help me with a rotation or priority list to hit that type of damage? i feel like i am just spaming flame sweep mostly. hitting firestorm, railshot, and rockt punch on cooldown. Any other advice?

Nezyrworks
01.19.2017 , 05:19 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by NINJAMANDOAX View Post
Hey there, could you help me with a rotation or priority list to hit that type of damage? i feel like i am just spaming flame sweep mostly. hitting firestorm, railshot, and rockt punch on cooldown. Any other advice?
Shutter slug for 75% slow to peel?
The new aoe noone remembers name off - when facing 3+enemies. Just be sure to begin with slow on shutter, then flame and then use the last AOE, then you can reset the free flame sweeps with a jump or, pull someone back with grapple+RP to spread also railshot.
Meet the Pyro!

Kirpputori
01.19.2017 , 07:02 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by NINJAMANDOAX View Post
I do pretty much same stuff. Rail shot, Rocket punch, Heat Blast and Firestorm (procced) on cooldown. Shatter Slug every now and then for the 75% slow (and also tiny bit of AoE). And then i just spam Flame Burst (if 1 enemy) or Flame Sweep (if more than 1). Also Deadly Onslaught when enemies stack. Reason i get high numbers is, im running a skank tank (high endurance and power/crit) set.
Also, that 4,4k dps happened because for the majority of the match enemies were stacked. And so much healers on both team that no one died = dmg farming without any outcome

Tbh, you shouldn't worry much about dps as a tank. Your primary role is to prevent your teammates from taking damage(guard, taunt, pull, stun, oil slick etc.)

darthhybrius
02.06.2018 , 09:41 AM | #15
Is it possible to know what is the optimal rotation/priority for this spec? Just switched to it, and I'm not really familiar yet with all its procs and shenanigans!
Chaos, yet Harmony.

Myorgoth

Eksenia
02.28.2018 , 08:04 AM | #16
In terms of rotation, you can't really do anything wrong.

Attacks with a procced frame are prio - but try to maximise ion wave/flamethrower output by hitting as many people as you can. Apart from that, prioritise impact bolt and dat punch/stockstrike to trigger your ion cell. Ion pulse to trigger trauma and use as a filler.
:mon_biggri n::mon_bigg rin::mon_bi ggrin: