Fix Darth Malgus knockback mechanic

Requiring certain classes doesn't make the game any harder or easier. Not sure what you're trying to argue here. This is a matter of preference, not difficulty. This is about BioWare presenting the illusion of choice, when in reality, certain comps aren't viable. What you're talking about actually DISCOURAGES premade groups, and encourages players to pick up some random scrub spamming LFG just because he has X ability.

Agreed, especially since Malgus requires TWO knockbacks in quick succession.

His buff used to be buggy and we'd done it with a single DPS with a knockback before, but post past it is definitely working as intended (by the buff's wording) and requires 2 knockbacks within the time frame of a single Force Lightning channel.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the run for the first time last night. 1 wipe to figure out what the hell was going on at the end. 2nd attempt was perfect kill, didnt take any coordination. I force pushed him, he fell over, someone else came and finished the job.

Knockback cooldowns don't matter if you don't fail

I vehemently disagree. This is one of the least bugged FPs in the first place, and the mechanic is easy enough to do, and has a lot of "cool" factor to it.

If there really are a lot of class makeups that don't have a knockback (are there?), then they should fix that instead.

There are.

Anyway, I'm not saying "get rid of the mechanic." I'm saying "Make it one knockback."

My problem with this fight is that when you take people in there with 136 average gear, get him to 10% before he picks the third person, why you just don't kill him?

The point of gearing up is to go back and make the stuff that kicked you butt early on in greens pay for it.

My problem with this fight is that when you take people in there with 136 average gear, get him to 10% before he picks the third person, why you just don't kill him?

The point of gearing up is to go back and make the stuff that kicked you butt early on in greens pay for it.

This happened to us last night. He had ~20k hp remaining when our third party member got the Doubts thing. We told him not to kill him though, because we were worried he would bug out :p

We ran into problems with him tonight as well. I (Vanguard) could use my rope to pull him to the edge, but the knockback of the sage didn't seem to do anything - even when used alone, it did not knock him off his feet (or make him vunerable to a following pull by me). I don't know if it was bugged or simply a problem of latency and we just did not hit the time frame to do it. As such, the hole idea is an interesting concept, but I guess it lacks some fine tuning...

That the other two players (Sentinel + Scoundrel) couldn't do anything to finish is ihmo just a bad mechanic - we ran the instance for the fist time and did not check any guides before, so we did not know which skills would even work on the boss. I think, any combination of t/h/dd/dd should be able to do it (if everybody plays his part well enough, of course). It should not be necessary to study guides before doing a simple 4 man instance - if you accept that you may wipe once or twice until you figure out the required mechanic.

I notice it seems there's only one try with the 2 knockback so if something goes wrong you have to wipe and retry.

We did the first time and after the first interreput I knocked back Malgus but not enough to make it fall from the bridge, we retried with the 2 knockbacks several time but it was immune despite the debuff was present so we had to wipe.

Same on the second try, I was late with the knockback, we tried on next channelling but it was again immune so we wiped again. Finally we made on third try.

Signing off on this, please change it to a single knockback.

The last couple of times i ran this (guild and pickup), we had to get on someone's vent for the fight so we could have a countdown and time the KBs perfectly.

Perhaps the 2 KB mechanic wouldn't be so unappealing if the timing between them was loosed up a bit; as is it requires pretty precise coordination. The better idea would probably be to just require a single knockback.

Where exactly has Bioware stated that the way to kill Malgus is to knock him of the edge?

This is just the way that Players have figured out to do it and then told other people and so on and now people think its the desired mechanic and that this is how it's done.

We killed him before he even went into unlimited power mode last night in Hard mode. No knock back, his dead body still on the platform.

And to the guy that said he told one of there team mates not to kill him at 20k hp..

:eek::confused::eek::confused:

Seriously just kill him and if you don't like the way the fight is then maybe it just isn't the FP for you.

Found out this can be done with a pull as well as a knockback, have him positioned near one of the corners on the bridge when he starts his channel, walk to the edge around the corner and pull him so when he arrives in front of you he is standing in thin air.

Tried to do the actual knockback mechanic several times and it wouldn't work, not sure if they weren't in rapid enough succession or if it was just being strange/buggy. Tried to pull him so he would fall as sort of a desperation maneuver and it worked.

Also if anybody is having trouble during the fight with his knockbacks, you can pull him into the tunnels on the left or right side of the room where its not a big deal.

If you couldn't get him off, you were not using your knockbacks in rapid enough succession. I do this solo as a Mercenary. Rocket Punch is a small knockback due to talents. I am able to Rocket Punch to interrupt then Jet Boost to knock him off pretty easily, so 1.5 seconds apart is fine. I would wager a guess that they have to be within about 2 seconds of each other to work.

At any rate, there is nothing wrong with the mechanic. There are a million different ways you can kill the boss. Get creative.

Did this last night in Hard Mode with Sage/Sentinel/Vanguard/Scoundrel group (So we only had one knockback from the Sage).

Instead of knocking him off, we managed to burn him down before he became invincible. As the healer, it's really easy to both heal the whole group and do a decent amount of damage. By the time he did his "duel" with the fourth party member, we had him down to 10k.

No lightning, no invincibility, no need for knockbacks. It's a pretty easy fight.

We took him to lightning phase, positioned him near the abyss, used our knockbacks and he just went on to be vulnerable. Hence, he was slain.

Before we wiped three times, because knockbacks wouldn't work on him at all and just made him fall backwards, but not down the abyss.

Also, his own knockback tends to prison people midair where they either remain useless for the rest of the fight or die by using /stuck. This can be avoided by fighting him near the window though - guess it might have to do with the ability possibly being incomplete, so that you can't get back to the ground without a hindrance at your back.

Edited by Nylas

How many advanced classes do not get a knockback? Do any of you posting this garbage even know? I can tell you right now that commando/mercenary has one on a 30-second cooldown and all inquisitors/sages have one on a 20-second cooldown.

I don't know about Troopers, but the BH mirror Mercenary knockbacks do not work. Not sure why. Tried both. One wipe we opened with them and followed up with the Sin and the other wipe we let the Sin go first. They don't work.

Additionally Grapple will not pull him over the ledge. I tried both "toeing the line" (which he landed behind me) and a suicide leap/Grapple (which only brought him to the edge).

Grapple would yank a player off the edge in both situations. Malgus is a unique snowflake I guess.

Maybe the Trooper abilities work, but the BH mirror abilities do not.

I don't know about Troopers, but the BH mirror Mercenary knockbacks do not work. Not sure why. Tried both. One wipe we opened with them and followed up with the Sin and the other wipe we let the Sin go first. They don't work.

Additionally Grapple will not pull him over the ledge. I tried both "toeing the line" (which he landed behind me) and a suicide leap/Grapple (which only brought him to the edge).

Grapple would yank a player off the edge in both situations. Malgus is a unique snowflake I guess.

Maybe the Trooper abilities work, but the BH mirror abilities do not.

Considering I have knocked him off the platform by myself with no other knockbacks from any other player on more than one occasion, I can assure you that the Mercenary knockbacks do in fact work.

You do realize the knockbacks have to be in rapid succession, right? And you aren't using an interrupt and then a knockback, right? You literally have to use two knockbacks in the same force lightning channel. The first interrupts the cast and the second actually knocks him back.

I have done it more than once and never had a single issue. Hate to say it, but this sounds like user error.

Considering I have knocked him off the platform by myself with no other knockbacks from any other player on more than one occasion, I can assure you that the Mercenary knockbacks do in fact work.

You do realize the knockbacks have to be in rapid succession, right? And you aren't using an interrupt and then a knockback, right? You literally have to use two knockbacks in the same force lightning channel. The first interrupts the cast and the second actually knocks him back.

I have done it more than once and never had a single issue. Hate to say it, but this sounds like user error.

Our group just did it with a Mercenary knocking him down by himself - It should be noted however that he had to respec in order to have his rocket punch ( I believe ) have a knockback effect. Without that talent, he only had one at his disposal.

To tell the truth, this is terrible game design. Not the fact that he needs to be knocked back, but that you need a certain setup in order to complete the flashpoint.

You need a certain setup to kill any hard mode. You have to have a healer and you pretty much have to have a tank. You also have to have good DPS or you're going to hit the enrage timer on many bosses. There are numerous requirements to beat a hard mode flashpoint. Most of them are so normal that you accept them as a foregone conclusion. This one happens to be new and unique and those who got to the end of the instance without the proper setup and were unable to complete the fight are unhappy with it. Bring the proper setup next time. All you need is two knockbacks to complete the fight. This is not an unreasonable requirement when 50% of ACs have one and one particular AC can spec into two and do it by themselves.

The only reason this "requirement" is such a problem is because you've never seen it before and it's annoying you. Stop and think for a moment about how many other requirements there are to complete hard modes. No one is whining about those.

The only reason this "requirement" is such a problem is because you've never seen it before and it's annoying you. Stop and think for a moment about how many other requirements there are to complete hard modes. No one is whining about those.

You are right when you say that there are a lot of requirements that we take as "obvious". It doesn't mean, however, that more is better.

The reason I say this is that certain classes are literally worthless against this boss. Every character can fill a role and join any group as that role, but in this particular case, certain characters are automatically out.

You might argue that other requirements work in similar ways, but my question is, does the game really need this? Some sort of new role that isn't even explicit? Requirements such as having a healer, a damage dealer and a tank actually do make sense, as you need players to be dependant on one another to create teamwork, but does this "new" requirement introduce anything new or interesting to the game? Does it encourage teamwork more? Does it make the fight more challenging and fun? No.

If anything, it makes people who don't have the proper setup frustrated, and it makes certain characters completely useless in that particular fight, no matter their specialization. If you have that class, good, the fight is a faceroll. If you don't have it, you'd better kick someone who's useless, or disband and invite somebody else next time.

I don't call this good game design.

You need a certain setup to kill any hard mode. You have to have a healer and you pretty much have to have a tank. You also have to have good DPS or you're going to hit the enrage timer on many bosses. There are numerous requirements to beat a hard mode flashpoint. Most of them are so normal that you accept them as a foregone conclusion. This one happens to be new and unique and those who got to the end of the instance without the proper setup and were unable to complete the fight are unhappy with it. Bring the proper setup next time. All you need is two knockbacks to complete the fight. This is not an unreasonable requirement when 50% of ACs have one and one particular AC can spec into two and do it by themselves.

I just did it on hard mode mode and it was easier than normal mode, and the OP was exclusively talking about normal mode.

Thanks for not seeing the forest for the trees in my OP though!

Edited by Gvaz

Because hes so different on normal mode right.

Remove "hard mode" and substitute "flashpoint." The point is still valid. It's an 8 page thread. If you think every post is going to be 100% on topic with your OP, you're delusional.

Whining about unique mechanics in bosses simply discourages creative boss design. How many ways do you really think there are to make things different? There are only so many mechanics you can use to make a fight fun. In the end, they all look like the same, recycled garbage. At least this is something different that takes some coordination to set up and is mildly challenging.

I, for one, do not enjoy walking into an instance and facerolling every fight because it's all tank and spank. Don't stand in fire is the same regardless of whether it's an image on the ground or a droid spitting fire in circles or something else. This is a clever, unique mechanic and it's fun to execute. You're complaining because you have to somewhat coordinate who you bring to the flashpoint. Instead of complaining about clever game design, spend your time getting the proper group together. You are sending the message that you like vanilla mechanics in every boss fight in every flashpoint.

This kind of design ought to be encouraged. If anything, you can argue for giving a knockback to more classes, but I think that would be a mistake. PvP is ridiculous enough as it is with the amount of knockbacks, stuns, roots, and grapples there currently are. Adding more makes me nauseous to think about.

Edited by Auilt