Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Toth = Instadeath for Shadows

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Toth = Instadeath for Shadows

OlosBC
02.02.2013 , 06:43 PM | #11
Yep, killed myself a few times when learning this on my powertech. Rapid shots and the dot effects are the worst as they do the most hits. I just pause doing anything but single-hit stuff (flame burst mostly) or pause entirely when the jump is about to happen. Threat's never that big of an issue, especially if you use your taunts between jumps(saving the single target when jump is about to happen).

Also, if your dps is good, you'll push the phase before force scream debuff expires, so you can kill yourself hopping back to zorn if you're not careful. Just watch your debuffs, and only use taunt if that happens.
Olos - 55 Hybrid Powertech
Fonia - 55 Madness Sorceror
<Dark Fury> of Jedi Covenant
Previously Fonia and Daygoru of Tempest server in SWG.

Rawrwafer
02.03.2013 , 12:09 AM | #12
Watch the screams that Zorn does. He does one after whatever animations happen in that current phase, then another 5-10 seconds later, depending on your dps, which alerts you to toths leap. Hit resilence when the 2nd scream happens, then switch targets, you won't take any damage during leap phases again

grallmate
02.03.2013 , 04:35 PM | #13
As has been mentioned its reflected damage from fearful thats giving you the issues. Stop attacking (or use single hit abilities) when the leap is imminent and you'll be fine. Even after the leap has happened be wary about using Slow Time and Force Breach, its pretty easy to accidentally clip Zorn until he's well clear which will also trigger the reflected damage.

Basically, keep abreast of both Drouks HP %.
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]

todorovh
02.04.2013 , 09:26 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Mule_Skinner View Post
I've tried tanking EC on my shadow a couple of times now, and frankly I'm finding the mechanic on Zorn completely unreasonable.

What it looks like happens is that with no apparent warning (other than the rough health level of the mob I'm tanking), Toth does the jump, I get the debuff, and I die all pretty much simultaneously.

After about the 5th instadeath, I did manage to figure out that just spamming skills on Zorn is Bad. If I do that, I'll often see the switch happening in the middle of an attack, but be powerless to stop the next attack I already have queued up. Bam! ... instadeath.

OK. So no more spamming skills on Zorn. Slow and deliberate. But it doesn't really help much. You see, as a shadow here's my typical skill menu:
Double-Strike (2 hits over about a 1s animation)
Project (1 or 2 hits over about 0.5s)
Saber Strike (3 hits over 1.5s)
Force breach (1 hit at about 0.5s. 15s cooldown)
TK Throw (5 hits over 3 seconds)
Slow Time (2 hits over 1s. Why 2? beats me.)

Notice anything interesting? I only have 1 skill in there that does only a single hit. The instant I get debuffed, I take a bit under 5K damage for each hit, of course. I also only have one skill (fortunately the same one) that doesn't give Zorn an entire second to debuf me after I initiate it. That's also the only skill that doesn't inflict the big hurt on me multiple times if it happens. So I can stop attacking the instant the jump happens, and I'm still quite likely to die. I had at least one death where I was watching Toth closely, but he jumped while my finger was going down on an attack. Zap, dead.

So the only way I've found to deal with Zorn is, after the first few seconds, just stand there like a punching bag. If I'm feeling lucky I can put on a force breach every 15s.

This mechanic is so completely unreasonable that I'm thinking I must be doing something way wrong. How do other shadow/assassin tanks deal with this?
In hard mode it wasn't really an issue ... in NiM i pop resilience for the jump .. saved my life on a number of occasions ( used to use resilience for a different mechanic in HM )

first jump is at 90% .. 70, 50 etc ... recently we've had a bug (?) where the 70% jump will actually be at 63% for some reason ... it doesn't occur regularly and its just the 70% one

sankalp
02.04.2013 , 06:04 PM | #15
Hmmm, I though the leap throws you back so any attack(channelled) gets cancelled. I get a 90% call, use shroud and wait for myself to get knocked back before switching targets. Also, if we have a tank class DPS(DPS with taunt, We get the dps on toth's side to taunt toth straight after the the jump. Minimizes the time they are close to each other quite easily.

cisme
02.04.2013 , 09:22 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
It's not based on the rough health level. It happens whenever the boss with the lowest hp hits 85%, 65%, 45%, 25%, and 5%.
OMG kitru is wrong. The actual percentages are 90, 70 ,50, 30 and 10%. The reason Kitru is seeing 85% is because once he hits 90/89% he will do a jump into the air and then jump over so in that time it isn't too hard to do the 5% extra damage Kitru thought there was

Kitru
02.04.2013 , 09:44 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by cisme View Post
OMG kitru is wrong. The actual percentages are 90, 70 ,50, 30 and 10%. The reason Kitru is seeing 85% is because once he hits 90/89% he will do a jump into the air and then jump over so in that time it isn't too hard to do the 5% extra damage Kitru thought there was
I checked a few guides to make sure I got it right, but, apparently, those guides are and or were wrong (they're ones that I've used several times before to fact check strats and have come out golden so /shrug). Normally, I just wait and listen for the jump times rather than looking at boss hp, especially since I spend an inordinate amount of time on Tot, so it's not something I've committed to memory. It didn't seem like a big enough deal to go back and edit out, especially since no fewer than 2 people posted the correct stuff, so I didn't bother.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

Furiel
02.07.2013 , 01:05 PM | #18
Having tanked this fight on both my Guardian and my Shadow I find it much easier on my Shadow. Calling the percents is really important, we call a warning at X2% for each phase, which gives me enough time to usually use 2 more abilities before I stop then it goes like this...

Hit resiliance
Tab target to Toth (including a glance at my target frame to confirm, we mark both T and Z to assist in easy ID) starting to move to the other side once the leap lands
Taunt
Project
Force Speed into position

No risk of getting clipped by Fearful and with the time you spend repositioning and Toth running over to you your healer can generally get you topped off, you can refesh Kinetic Ward and if you need stacks of Harnessed Shadows yet Project's CD will be almost up again once Toth arrives so you can get back to 3 stacks in a couple more GCDs.
Furiel Plush
Cardinal and Raid Coordinator of The Church of Alvis