Tank Assassin Stat Gearing + Augmenting

RiseOfDeath

Pay some attention.

It's a no-so-obvious bug in Mr Robot so no need to be snarky.

You're telling me when you click on his link it shows his defense above the 25%? How the hell does he have that much defense AND his absorb at 60%? Not to mention his HP is higher. Here's what I have for my own.. what am I doing wrong here?

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/4843fb7f-11d4-4952-8968-c5cf9afa54dc

You actually have 34% defense - because of the bug it's not showing right. This is pretty far up the diminishing returns curve so you would benefit from dropping some defense and moving it into absorb. Search google for "swtor minimum squishiness" if you are interested in a way to distribute stats optimally (for one definition of optimal that is).

Oh my gods

You're telling me when you click on his link it shows his defense above the 25%?

No!!!

I'm telling his defense is what he says, not what that link says.

How the hell does he have that much defense AND his absorb at 60%?

By having the kind of gear he linked

What you are doing wrong there is stacking way too much defense rating on nearly every piece of gear.

If you actually had a character with that kind gear (which I'm sure you don't) then it would have 34.11% defense.

Wasting too much of you stat budget to diminishing returns by pushing one stat that high

It's a no-so-obvious bug in Mr Robot so no need to be snarky.

You actually have 34% defense - because of the bug it's not showing right. This is pretty far up the diminishing returns curve so you would benefit from dropping some defense and moving it into absorb. Search google for "swtor minimum squishiness" if you are interested in a way to distribute stats optimally (for one definition of optimal that is).

Thanks dude.. didn't realize the website had a bug with Defense. So basically it's off by 4%. I'll make adjustments now. Much appreciated.

This should be ideal then for current endgame content.

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/4843fb7f-11d4-4952-8968-c5cf9afa54dc

Depends on your definition of ideal. For me this isn't.

I run the lettered mods and high shield enhancements' but I use power crystals, resolve hilt, and more optimal relics for my build. Sitting at 29/45-65/61 for percentages.

This is definitely a good build you've got here. So much so that this is where it becomes all about personal flavor at this point to be considered what is and isn't 'ideal'

Side note: It's amazing how much my gearing has changed since this thread originally floated around months ago. Definitely shows the entertainment value of necro'ing threads.

Edited by Grumpftard

Depends on your definition of ideal. For me this isn't.

I run the lettered mods and high shield enhancements' but I use power crystals, resolve hilt, and more optimal relics for my build. Sitting at 29/45-65/61 for percentages.

This is definitely a good build you've got here. So much so that this is where it becomes all about personal flavor at this point to be considered what is and isn't 'ideal'

Thanks man. I'm basically a Marauder switching over to my Assassin Tank to replace our tank who had to quit recently. I've ran my tank through all of HM TFB and some of NiM EC. I just wanted a setup that works that I can build off of as I get better gear. When it comes down to the peanut changes, I don't mind all that much as long as what I have works.

Thanks again.

If you go over to the tanking forum, there is a stat thread with a great discussion between Keyboardninja and Kitru on stat ideology. Talks about the age old debate between Mitigation vs. Endurance. The end result being that once you are in that stat window (which your build appears to be), "ideal" becomes all about personal preference.

If you go over to the tanking forum, there is a stat thread with a great discussion between Keyboardninja and Kitru on stat ideology. Talks about the age old debate between Mitigation vs. Endurance. The end result being that once you are in that stat window (which your build appears to be), "ideal" becomes all about personal preference.

This is true to a point, but the one piece that I don't entirely agree with on Kirtu's point of view is that a big aspect of his "optimal" gearing comes down to pride. He wants to be able to tank largely without taunts. That's well and good, but when you understand an encounter, it seems silly to me to leave threat on the table by not using them when you are able.

As soon as regular use of taunts *is* on the table, increasing DPS by 50-100 becomes less of an issue. If you're hitting enrage timers on any current content, the problem is not tank DPS, let's put it that way.

I wouldn't ever be excessively snarky about someone who chooses to make some gear swaps that marginally decrease their survival stats in favor of increased DPS, but it's not a choice I would make or actively recommend.

Edited by Omophorus

At the moment my stats looks like this.

33.5% defense, shield rating 64% with DW and absorb 53% aprox. I use the heal proc relic and defense on use relic, there are some mods and augments i need to change after switching to dread guard gear but other than that i like the way this setup works.

At the moment my stats looks like this.

33.5% defense, shield rating 64% with DW and absorb 53% aprox. I use the heal proc relic and defense on use relic, there are some mods and augments i need to change after switching to dread guard gear but other than that i like the way this setup works.

Just a little food for thought...

The on-use Shield/Absorb relic (Campaign, specifically) not only has 50% more duration than either Campaign or DG Defense relic, but it also adds more total to your mitigation pool whilst active (380 vs. 350).

Dark Ward biases the ideal mitigation profile somewhat towards Shield/Absorb, so over-stacking Defense and neglecting shield stats yields slightly higher overall damage taken.

With the Shield/Abs relic active, my stats look like this: 28.92% Defense (457 rating w/ Rakata stim), 70.85% Shield (760 rating), and 63.35% Absorb (689 rating). Without the relic active, Shield drops to 65.66% (570 rating) and Absorb drops to 57.69% (499 rating). Conversely, the DG Defense relic increases my Defense to 34.91% (807 rating), but only for 20s. 5% Shield chance + 5% Absorption for 30s is significantly better than 6% Defense chance for 20s.

On any boss fights with a tank swap, up-time of on-use relics is comparably higher, and the 30s duration further increases the percentage of tanking time that one benefits from a drastically larger mitigation pool. The comparative lead over the Defense relic grows as well.

When solo-tanking or tanking an enemy with a steady damage profile, it's slightly more optimal to replace the on-use with a static PVP Defense relic and retool gear to rebalance Defense/Absorb (takes about 1 swap, since you under-shoot Defense slightly when gearing for Shield/Abs relic, and the overshoot w/ PVP relic is easily corrected).

This is true to a point, but the one piece that I don't entirely agree with on Kirtu's point of view .....

lol...agreed...Kitru's idea of optimal is a bit extreme for my tastes. But that furthers my point. A lot of people are used to very specific BiS lists like in other MMO's, or at least very specific stat caps. This particular class is very flexible with a bit room for stat variance to allow the player to tailor it to suit their individual play styles. That's why I love this class so much.

Another advantage to this (and this is just my opinion on this part) is that because of this variance it really kinda highlights the player. In other words, a baddie player can't hide behind a BiS gear set up.