Hero Engine: why?

Tokeee

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not understand why they did not pick the Unreal 3 Engine. It's a successful engine with a massive game listing.

Bioware's own games ME1, ME2 and ME3 were developed using Unreal 3 engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games#Unreal_Engine_3

Because Unreal is just a different engine which has a whole host of issues itself, ie go to the Sony DCUO forum and you will find more engine based ************ and moaning than you will find here.

People need to realise it is not the 3d Engine itself that is at fault, it is the custom code developed by the MMO developers that interacts with the engine. The game will perform well or poorly based on the quality of the code, not which engine is used. The only difference between engines is the built in library of functions that they contain, it doesn't matter if it is used for an MMO, FPS, RTS or a game of brickout.

MMOs struggle due to the complexity and evolving nature, they also throttle back the use of graphics because they can't always control the number of objects in the camera view, if you use the Unreal engine with ME3 level of graphics your PC will keel over and die once you go into fleet. In a MP/FPS they have absolute control over the number of polygons that need to be rendered, in an MMO environment you do not always have complete control.

Blizzard have just had a lot of time to refine their engine, they use very low polygon models which do not stress most PCs but it limits the quality/style of the graphics. Their engine is good because they have invested a lot of time and money in developing it, if you can build a 3d engine from scratch odds are your code which integrates with the engine itself will be good as well.

Edited by traft

Anyone think it's a coincidence that ops are max 16 people? lol.

Not sure what your point is, you can definitely have more than 16 on the screen at once. Our guild had over 120 at once with no problem until you started fighting then it was lag city for a lot of people. Anyway, I am willing to bet you could have a lot more than 16 at once.

Not sure what your point is, you can definitely have more than 16 on the screen at once. Our guild had over 120 at once with no problem until you started fighting then it was lag city for a lot of people. Anyway, I am willing to bet you could have a lot more than 16 at once.

That's the thing. When you start fighting.

I'm not sure what the magic number is for swtor but it seems more than 25-30+ in combat causes exponentially awful server side lag.

Edited by grueber

DCuniverse online uses I believe the Unreal engine...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Universe_Online

Ya they use the Unreal 3 engine:

And it works horribly. Additionally DCUO plays more like an FPS than an MMO (I'm aware some prefer that I don't and if they had decided to go that route with ToR Unreal would have been a suitable choice)

I won't blame Unreal for the issues with DCUO, I mean I've played enough SOE games to know they are masters at wrecking anything good. But the engine is both more and less than is needed for an MMO like ToR.

And it works horribly. Additionally DCUO plays more like an FPS than an MMO (I'm aware some prefer that I don't and if they had decided to go that route with ToR Unreal would have been a suitable choice)

I won't blame Unreal for the issues with DCUO, I mean I've played enough SOE games to know they are masters at wrecking anything good. But the engine is both more and less than is needed for an MMO like ToR.

And lest we forget, Vanguard and Mortal Online are also based on the MMO version of Unreal - that didn't work out terribly well for either of those games (both of which had/have tremendous potential). DCUO actually isn't that bad in comparison, but it still seems to have difficulty producing a good combat experience.

Best MMO engines in my experience as an end user, were WoW, GW and CoX. CoX is particularly undersung. In 2003 it had full 3-d combat (i.e. you could fly without having to "mount" anything, and not only that but fluid aerial combat was a feature, 6 years before the over-hyped Aion) and roundabout 2004 introduced ragdoll physics (e.g. kicking enemies off buildings killed them from the fall). It also had all those infinite possibilities for character creation - i.e. infinite possible player-chosen texture combinations - even including some body morphing (both of which which I think anyone who understands will recognize are quite a feat for an MMO). Even today, in most MMOs the most you can do is hop about in the few same old boring bits of clothing that everyone else has :)

• 2 weeks later...