New Lord of the Rings series for Amazon

annabethchase

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/13/entertainment/lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-amazon/index.html

This sounds amazing. Amazon is said to spend about $250 million to acquire the rights to Tolkien's "LOTR + more". The plus more is key, as it is said to be covering the time period between The Hobbit and LOTR. What that will be, in terms of whether it will cover some of the movie extras from The Hobbit in much better detail or something else. Either way, it's massively exciting as it's NEW POSSIBILITY!

Speculation in multiple articles keeps saying 100 to 150 million a season budget, so basically a movie budget per season. Also everyone keeps saying "like Game of Thrones" in terms of audience desired.

Also, for those who really are into Tolkien inner workings, it appears this happened because his son Christopher has now retired at age 92. He was always hesitant to open up the world to any kind of expanded universe. Well, this seems to be the most amazingly impactful way to launch an expanded universe. However I'm guessing this initial series will be majority based on existing story hints and rumors without going too crazy.

You may notice I said initial series, that's because a few articles are saying there's a clause for a potential spin-off. So that one could go the Star Wars route and either go way back to the First Age or advance the story into the Fourth Age. Either way, I'm even more excited for that someday.

For Tolkien fans, this was a day many thought might never come. This is so similar to how we found out about Ep7 and beyond. Hopefully others are feeling the same way!

I didn't know that this was/is happening.

A series would be great. I never was a fan of the books, particularly the Hobbit. Basically, I'm a fan of the movies, but not the books, so the idea of a series in the style of the films excites me.

However, I am a huge fan of the Shannara books. And what Am^zon did with their series about it is, mildly put, horrid.