Incendiary Round - Wondering if the Assault VS still use it?

ZillaElite

Hi there,

Just curious and wanted to ask the Assault Vanguard Community if they still use IR? I've stopped using it, rather use IP and have had great success and have not had as much ammo issues.

Thanks

Edited by ZillaElite

It should be used in pve, but not so much in pvp. Its actually has a pretty high damage/ammo ratio, because it is a DoT, but the fact that you have to spend a GCD on it and you only get the full effect of it over a long period of time, its not very effective in pvp. You should be using IP instead IR whenever you have the chance in pvp. It did have some use prior to the range nerf, because it made LoS'ing ranged and kiting other melee easier, but it has little use now.

It should be used in pve, but not so much in pvp. Its actually has a pretty high damage/ammo ratio, because it is a DoT, but the fact that you have to spend a GCD on it and you only get the full effect of it over a long period of time, its not very effective in pvp. You should be using IP instead IR whenever you have the chance in pvp. It did have some use prior to the range nerf, because it made LoS'ing ranged and kiting other melee easier, but it has little use now.

As usual, I'll disagree here - since IP also re-triggers your short dot and makes it tick again instantly I find it does more damage in the end anyway, so I only use IR right before activating my cooldowns (since you can apply the IR before, but still have it take advantage of the cooldowns). Either way is completely viable though, the difference between the 2 is very small.

You shouldn't forget completely about it in PVP either - if you're dealing with a stealther that's trying to LOS you (aka your short dot might expire) you can put the IR on them to prevent them from stealthing out. It's very situational, but sometimes useful.

You know IR is a super long DoT so . . . if you think of it from an cost vs effectiveness you'll want to use it on something that takes longer than 18 seconds to kill to get the full effect of it (at least in PvE).

In PvP as steave mentioned it is situational and can be very important if used at the correct time. I personally find it super useful in PvP against someone who has a lot of armour or is just a tough kill.

Edited by unluckyperson

I'll only use it on people with near full health in PvP, if they can cleanse it I won't bother. I usually tend to put it on Assassins and Operatives though in case they stealth (even though both can cleanse it). It used to be good when it had 30m range, but now when you get to that distance there's better abilities to be using so I don't find it very effective.

I use incendiary round at least every time my reserve power cell is off cooldown....this way IR is free. I usually don't have any ammo problems during boss fights, unless I get an unlucky string of NONprocs for HIB, in which case ill use IR or throw down a cybertech pyro grenade for a DOT.

As others have stated, the damage that IR provides over time for the cost makes it well worth the use. You really just have to weave in a bit more hammer shot....and let's be honest, it's the best free attack in the game, so why not use it more?

I tend to use on my initial attack. I used to not do it but I started using reserve powercell on it and it works pretty well.

The reason being I was missing out on a lot of DPS due Ion Pulse triggering Ionic Accelerator before I use my first HiB. Now my reset for HiB is on CD and I have only gotten off 1 HiB.

EDIT: I only PvP

Edited by Capt_Beers

I rarely use it, it has not affected my burst/overall dmg in anyway by taking it out. It just uses ammo that can be utilized for better abilities. The only time I use it is when trying to close the deal on a stealthy, even then I may just rely on my IP.

The 30% burn thing is not as cool as it seems with this, the dmg you get from it is hardly useful when playing with good players. On my server, people running around in war zones with 30% or less life don't last long enough. :)

As for PvE, i'm sure it's a different story but I have not been in an operation for a year now. The last op I was in was hard mode SoA before the nerfs, that raiding crap is for the birds...

I tend to use on my initial attack. I used to not do it but I started using reserve powercell on it and it works pretty well.

The reason being I was missing out on a lot of DPS due Ion Pulse triggering Ionic Accelerator before I use my first HiB. Now my reset for HiB is on CD and I have only gotten off 1 HiB.

EDIT: I only PvP

I usually auto attack while running to get in the 10m range to trigger my first HIB, seems to work better that way. I'm more of a always be doing dmg and always have legs moving type of player though.

Edited by DesmoLegacy

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone has pretty much covered it. For pve=yes. For pvp=situational at best.

Quite frankly, now that they nerfed our burst with AP and killed our plasma cell dot in half they should make IR 30 meter range again so it is at least useful again in pvp. They first nerfed IR and AP range to make us get up close and personal and give people a chance to avoid our burst or run away from it. Well now they nerfed the burst so give us our range back imo.

Everyone has pretty much covered it. For pve=yes. For pvp=situational at best.

Quite frankly, now that they nerfed our burst with AP and killed our plasma cell dot in half they should make IR 30 meter range again so it is at least useful again in pvp. They first nerfed IR and AP range to make us get up close and personal and give people a chance to avoid our burst or run away from it. Well now they nerfed the burst so give us our range back imo.

They nerfed our burst and gave every other damned dps class in the game insane burst... they took away the one thing that made us unique...now we don't even have a place in reg warzones anymore... so to nerf some goofy hybrid spec you kill both our dps trees and lets not forget our tanking tree is still out classed by the other two tank tress in the game good way to ruin a class bw.