Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why no imperial trooper

Pyrolight
01.05.2012 , 09:35 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by alienstalker View Post
Imperial troopers only don't have that opportunity because the sith are jerks. Not because they are terrible soldiers. I'm sure they are just as good as a republic trooper.
The fodder vs roman soldiers was not intended as a judgement of quality just potential worth.

kraidy
01.05.2012 , 09:35 PM | #42
Because a bounty hunter is like the smuggler not the trooper.
Wrong. Play Smuggler, then play agent. They are very similar. Now play trooper and then play BH. Smuggler is nothing like BH in terms of gameplay. Even in lore since smugglers, you know smuggle goods and such, only killing if they need to. BH kill for profit.

alienstalker
01.05.2012 , 09:35 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by ColonelColt View Post
Tell that to everyone who loves stormtroopers. Y'know, going back to my SWG love, one thing they did RIGHT is realize that people don't WANT to be the hero. Developers seem to have this notion that people want to be Boba Fett or Han Solo, but this just isn't true mos of the time. A lot of SW fans would much rather be Dash Rendar or Greedo. A lot of fans just want to be someone average, making their way through the universe.

Not everything has to be about "oh my god you're so special", actually that's one thing that bugs me about most every storyline. You're either some super elite trooper who is perfect at everything war-related, or you're some prodigy force user who's the strongest they've seen in millenia. It gets tiresome always being this amazing grandios hero. Sometimes I just wanna be Generic Trooper number 53 standing over there guarding the door as the Jedi does his stuff.

But I digress, that's going a bit off topic.
I totally agree with you. I'm the special hero so often, that now I want to see what its like being a generic trooper.

MJHoyle
01.05.2012 , 09:36 PM | #44
They're trying the best they can with the few resources they have to hand. In the films I only recall there being jedi, sith, bounty hunters, imperial agents, storm troopers, republic military, and smugglers. Lucasarts/Bioware/EA have had to come up with a way to balance them as a playable class without having one side having a greater advantage than the other, so some have stepped up a notch like bounty hunters into something more military than just a mercenary searching the galaxy for his next paycheck, and for some reason in the game there are only republic troopers and no imperial storm troopers...
[PlayerX]: Wasn't numb bum in return of the Jedi?
[PlayerY]: no you mean nien numb or something like that hehe
[PlayerY]: nien nunb
[PlayerX]: Ah that wa sit

ColonelColt
01.05.2012 , 09:37 PM | #45
I'll say it again, but to the naysayers who are all "there's no story because you're no one", who cares? Maybe I don't WANT to be someone? Maybe I WANT to just be a normal guy with a blaster fighting to defend his empire? We already have a storyline about an amazing war hero who graduated top of his class at the academy and is recognized by the senate for his greatness. It's mirror can be the opposite. A storyline about a very generic soldier who has to deal with demanding superiors who do not respect their subordinates and yet through all this they have to persevere and continue to fight for their empire.

Again, just because the class is mirrored does not mean the storyline should be.

DarkestDaemon
01.05.2012 , 09:38 PM | #46
I totally agree with you. I'm the special hero so often, that now I want to see what its like being a generic trooper.
If you want to be the generic trooper than roll on a RP server and RP as a generic trooper.

Fact of the matter is, it isn't -interesting- to play as the faceless masses. I don't play a MMO to be Bob the Soldier who can't hit something three feet in front of him. I want to be Bob the Elite Trooper, Darth Bob, Master Bob, etc.

alienstalker
01.05.2012 , 09:38 PM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by UjellyTrollicus View Post
the reason you cant be an imperial trooper is because they are no one.

as a trooper you play as one of the most elite soldiers in the republic

the empire?

Spoiler
You are not the most elite in the Republic. You are not a spec ops guy who can order padawans around. A republic trooper is just a average soldier following orders.

DarkestDaemon
01.05.2012 , 09:39 PM | #48
I'll say it again, but to the naysayers who are all "there's no story because you're no one", who cares? Maybe I don't WANT to be someone? Maybe I WANT to just be a normal guy with a blaster fighting to defend his empire? We already have a storyline about an amazing war hero who graduated top of his class at the academy and is recognized by the senate for his greatness. It's mirror can be the opposite. A storyline about a very generic soldier who has to deal with demanding superiors who do not respect their subordinates and yet through all this they have to persevere and continue to fight for their empire.

Again, just because the class is mirrored does not mean the storyline should be.
So what's your final class quest if you remain a grunt? Hm? Are you going to kill that womp rat? Are you going to get the lucky shot on a Jedi Knight who is butchering your comrades?

kraidy
01.05.2012 , 09:39 PM | #49

This. Agent and Smuggler gameplay is similar but the story is nowhere the same, same with BH and trooper. It would be interesting to play a Empire trooper, maybe in the future Bioware might add it if the demand is high enough.

Tarwaters
01.05.2012 , 09:39 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
Not entirely true. The Republic Trooper is special forces. They're several rungs on the ladder higher then rank and file.

The Imperials? The HIGHEST rank a non-Sith can ever achieve is an Agent. Everyone else? Garbage that can be killed because a Sith Lord is in a bad mood and you happened to be around.

I think the highest rank is the Imperial Royal Guard.

Those responsible for guarding the Emperor himself. And the best of those was the Emperor's Shadow Guard.