Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why no imperial trooper

Foxtrotmikelima
01.05.2012 , 10:38 PM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by ColonelColt View Post
To be honest, I'll never understand who thought it would be a good idea to put Smugglers as rep classes and BH as Imp. BH's work for whoever pays, hell the BH storyline even has them going after Imperials. Same with Smugglers. If they really wanted to keep those two classes, they shoulda made them unique and made them cross-faction. Since they already mirror classes, a proper Imp trooper being the mirror to the rep trooper would have been far more fun. As well, an SIS agent being the mirror to the Imp agent would have been fun as well.
You know, to think of it, Smuggler and BH classes should of been nuetral, the storyline for the two could of been hands down the best. They could choose to lean towards one side or the other, or they could play bothsides since they are essentially the underbelly of society. Would of made the story for them the best.
The First Jedi Principle of Combat: Survive - Obi-Wan Kenobi

vinnia
01.05.2012 , 10:38 PM | #122
You got the last four mixed up. It's...

Trooper = BH
Smuggler = IA
ah;o. Anyway why is this here, there is a trooper;o

DarkestDaemon
01.05.2012 , 10:41 PM | #123
And how many bloody commandos do you think the republic has? As seen at the end of that trailer, there were hundreds of flares, that equates to thousands of troopers. You're telling me the Republic sent THOUSANDS of special forces troopers to one planet? Yeah, No. There may have been commando units doing specific missions such as taking out surface-orbit defenses or something. But the squads attacking the Imperials were all generics. That is kind of what the army is for, not everything is done by elite commandos, jobs that are just "go in there and kill the enemy" gets relegated to your average joes.
Actually, yeah, they probably do have that many commando squads that come from a single company. Your thinking if confined to a single planet. The Republic has a large number of planets to draw from, each having large populations.

So armed forces numbering upwards into the billions would not be out of the question.

Quote:

It doesn't give the direction either. Which is why you can be a sniper behind a sith and take him out easy, because he only knows he's about to get hurt, not from where or by what.

Also if you watched the prequels you'd see bloody droids killing over two hundred jedi at the end of Episode 2. Force users are not gods.
You're wrong on the first part. I also never said they were gods, but you're clearly able to put words into my mouth. Put it this way, if you're a regular soldier and the enemy you fight -suddenly flips over your head- chances are there's a '***' moment.

Also, play through The Esseles flashpoint. That's a good example of what a Sith can do that isn't overpowered.

Quote:
The only thing special about them is that they were experienced as you say. But what about Generic trooper number 53? He's served 5 tours of duty, he's fought on dozens of planets. He's been fighting since before you were born, but is only a corporal in a generic military unit. He has all the same experience but he's not special, he's not in an elite squad, he's not amazing. He's just a good fighter.

You're underestimating a regular soldier.
So, as someone else said, they'd need to put in a completely new mechanic that allows for a single person to have 3-4 companions out at a time. This character class also couldn't partake in pvp, because they'd rely on 3-4 companions in a regular setting and in a pvp setting would be all but useless since they can't have companions. Now in a group setting such as heroic quests, flashpoints or ops, they would once more be useless since they can't have their 'squad' of companions.

They'd basically be a single-player class in a multiplayer setting. Bioware would have to devote a lot of resources to the game in redesigning it for this class. Resources that could be better spent developing new content for the heroic classes.

And don't even bring up 'They can function well in group settings along' because they couldn't. That wouldn't make them your everyday soldier, but a person elite enough to be joining up with Sith, Imperial Intelligence and veteran bounty hunters.

alienstalker
01.05.2012 , 10:41 PM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by vinnia View Post
Uhm... Why?? i dont get it..

Jedi knight = sith warrior
Jedi Consular = sith inquisitor
Trooper = imperial agent
Smuggler = bounty hunter

Easy? Its the same classes but the spells/attacks/cooldowns (or how u call m) are different names and annimation, like the consular does that channel spell throw rocks, while inquisitor does lightning
We are not going for spells/attacks and cooldowns. We are talking about the story and class. A imperial agent is in the imperial intelligence, while the trooper is in the army.

MJHoyle
01.05.2012 , 10:41 PM | #125
nvm ignore this, I'm tired.
[PlayerX]: Wasn't numb bum in return of the Jedi?
[PlayerY]: no you mean nien numb or something like that hehe
[PlayerY]: nien nunb
[PlayerX]: Ah that wa sit

vinnia
01.05.2012 , 10:42 PM | #126
Ah now i get it xD

Nizzemancer
01.05.2012 , 10:42 PM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by alienstalker View Post
You are not the most elite in the Republic. You are not a spec ops guy who can order padawans around. A republic trooper is just a average soldier following orders.
wow...troll much?

Yes, you are the Republics most elite soldier...and obviously you can't order Padawans around because the Jedi Order is not part of the Republic military, it's a religious order with it's own agenda, that just happen to be on the same side as the Republic. The sith big wigs on the other hand call the shots in the Empire, regardless of what the moffs say.

Some of you people have obviously not played one iota of this game and really are just pulling stuff out of your heineys.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.

DarkestDaemon
01.05.2012 , 10:42 PM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by alienstalker View Post
Who the heck cares whether the sith with helmets fell. We should be discussing the trooper and not whether the helmet makes you good or not.
I'm making a point.

The Sith with helmets were dropping easily. The troopers with helmets were dropping easily. Malgus and the Commander were the only two who didn't fall under normal circumstances.

Neither had helmets.

alienstalker
01.05.2012 , 10:42 PM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by PJEBarlow View Post
Why not just do it the same way Republic tin cans do in Havok Squad? You don't have to grind through basic training and then years of grunt service in TOR before joining this "elite special forces" unit.
Because we want the average soldiers experience, not automatically sent to a elite squad.

Nesta
01.05.2012 , 10:44 PM | #130
I'm with the op on that, it's been bugging me for some time now, given the importance of the imperial army in the lore.

I rolled a republic trooper and everytime I see an imperial trooper I wish I could roll one.
Their armor design is so much better I wish I could steal it from the NPCs.
The story would have so much potential (Yes I want more questionable orders, I want to strive to be respected and most important I want to serve the empire rather than the republic).
I tried the imperial agent, and it's fun but he's no trooper, he doesn't wear heavy armor nor is he part of the army.

The more I play the more I wish I could be an imperial trooper.