Female Darths

Lium

I'm not familiar with the EU and really only know about the movies and the KOTOR games. But I'm curious, has there ever been female Sith Lords in Star Wars lore? And if so, did they have the Darth title?

I ask because it would seem more fitting to have a female form of the word. I mean, we have kings, queens, princes, princesses, emperors, and empresses. And other fantasy settings like Dragon Age and Game of Thrones, there's Arls and Arlessas (DA) and Khal and Khaleesi (GOT)

I honestly don't think Star Wars was ever meant to be that detailed, but it arguably is now since its had decades to develop and expand. So I'm just wondering about these kinds of gender specific titles.

Lumiya was known as Dark Lady, but I don't think she ever took the title of Darth. Zannah and Cognus were both females and they took the title of Darth. Then there was Traya/Kreia who took the title. Darth is gender neutral, kind of like being a Jedi Master. There are plenty of women Jedi Masters that don't refer to themselves as Mistress when that would be the "P.C." term.

I don't think an additional "female" version of Darth would be needed, because all of the Female Darths in the Star Wars universe (Darth Traya, Darth Lachris, that crazy lady in the IA story after Dromund Kaas, the SW or SI player characters if female, the female Dread Masters, likely countless other examples I either don't know about or don't remember) have just been Darth. Edited by Elementlord

Lumiya was known as Dark Lady, but I don't think she ever took the title of Darth. Zannah and Cognus were both females and they took the title of Darth. Then there was Traya/Kreia who took the title. Darth is gender neutral, kind of like being a Jedi Master. There are plenty of women Jedi Masters that don't refer to themselves as Mistress when that would be the "P.C." term.
This is a good point. But I was thinking more along the lines of count and countess, regent and regess. You get the picture.

But good point about Masters. Female Jedi that reach that rank are not referred to as Mistress, which would sound tawdry. :p

I think Darth being a gender neutral title is fine....

Although I must admit that I would prefer female Sith (at the appropriate ranking) to be called Lady instead of Lord - ie Lady Zash

I agree, sort of. But think of it like a rank instead of a title. A captain is a captain. A general is a general. A darth is a darth.

Why would it be fitting for another title? Darth is a contraction of Dark Lord of the Sith. As you'll notice, Lord is not included in the title, so Darth could just as easily be Dark Lady of the Sith. Even then, though, female Sith have used Lord regardless (though some have gone for Lady).

EDIT: Just wanted to mention that I'm aware that referring to someone as the Dark Lord of the Sith fully usually places them above a Darth on the Sith totem pole. Regardless, it's where it comes from in-universe.

Edited by Colyer

The title "Lord" is a translation, after all Sith have their own language, and it is the original word that is gender neutral, the Basic (english really) translation just fails to reflect that. Darth, however is a Sith word and as stated gender neutral. In this the Sith only acknowledge whether you have power, not what gender you are.