Arsenal Merc 2020 (DPS Disappointment)

LORDxLUCANUS

So after a very long hiatus from the game, I decided to come back and get back into it again. Brand new account and a slew of brand new toons.

Once I started playing my new Merc which I spec'ed to Arsenal, I started noticing something the higher in level I got. His survivability was great, but he hit's like a mouse. I remember playing the same class and spec a few years ago and just wading through my enemies like a hot knife through butter, but now I feel like a butter knife through a block of wood.

So accepting things for what they are, should I switch to the other DPS spec, or switch to a Powertech for better DPS potential.

It should also be noted that I don't give two craps about PVP, I just want a solid PVE experience with as little frustration as possible.

So what is the best power fantasy class and spec for a bounty hunter in 2020?

Thanks to all for reading and for any help you can provide.

At 6.0 I've clean all PVE content with the 3 specs of mercenary.

And i'm actually in progress to re-clean without veteran edge stacks.

All classes can clean all PVE content actually...

BUT all player behind their keyboard i don't think so....

So I used to be a correctional officer, and the one thing I miss about the prisons since I've left is the respect and consideration the inmates would give to each other and even to the officers. It was mind blowing to me how such a hostile world within the fences and concrete could be so respectful.

That world operated under the golden rule we all learn back in first grade, "treat others how you would want to be treated".

Then I came back to what they would call "the free world" and am constantly reminded by the words and demeanor of those around me in the general public of how truly petty and juvenile people can be.

I took time out of my day, to sit down and reach out to the community for help in understanding a way to resolve some of the frustrations I had experienced within the game. You had an opportunity to make me feel welcome, and reach out with a helping hand of your own. However, you chose to passive aggressively mock me and make me feel small because I don't measure up to your "skills" when it comes to playing the game.

Thank you for enlightening me to the state of the SWTOR community forums at this time. This will be the last time I come back to them and waste any more of my time attempting to reach out to the community for help.

To anyone who is thinking about returning to this game, my best advise is to find your favorite class and play through this game as a classic RPG treating it as the KOTOR 3 we never got. Ignore the community and all aspects of the MMO side of this game, you will only find frustration.

May the force be with us all.

So I used to be a correctional officer, and the one thing I miss about the prisons since I've left is the respect and consideration the inmates would give to each other and even to the officers. It was mind blowing to me how such a hostile world within the fences and concrete could be so respectful.

That world operated under the golden rule we all learn back in first grade, "treat others how you would want to be treated".

Then I came back to what they would call "the free world" and am constantly reminded by the words and demeanor of those around me in the general public of how truly petty and juvenile people can be.

I took time out of my day, to sit down and reach out to the community for help in understanding a way to resolve some of the frustrations I had experienced within the game. You had an opportunity to make me feel welcome, and reach out with a helping hand of your own. However, you chose to passive aggressively mock me and make me feel small because I don't measure up to your "skills" when it comes to playing the game.

Thank you for enlightening me to the state of the SWTOR community forums at this time. This will be the last time I come back to them and waste any more of my time attempting to reach out to the community for help.

To anyone who is thinking about returning to this game, my best advise is to find your favorite class and play through this game as a classic RPG treating it as the KOTOR 3 we never got. Ignore the community and all aspects of the MMO side of this game, you will only find frustration.

Well, the so called passive aggressive response had a full length detailed guide to the class spec in question in their signature - including a video.

It is okay that you think every "cry for help" should be responded to with a reaching hand but on the other hand, let me ask you what you yourself did in your own field of responsibility regarding your issue?

I don't know, but I personally start by looking up guides and comparisons as to how my performance is and check, whether I do something wrong, or if maybe a class itself is considered "bad".

From what I've read, there was only an outcry of being the knife that tries to cut through wood instead of a reflective response. Behaviour arises through context.

I've had no issues dpsing as arsenal merc, mine feels great, so I'm not sure how to help you.

As for the rest of this, that seems like a pretty ludicrous conclusion and response to condemn the entire playerbase because one guy implied that you not be playing the class correctly.

• 1 month later...
Well yes my arsenal does not the dps of my 3xcull Sniper but its still good dps and powerfull burst. The specc is easy to handle, compared to some others.. like Io or the dotspecc watchman from sentinel/ maro... But it sounds great, looks great and its close as possible to a Mandolorian fighting style it can get. Iam happy with the specc. There is a possibility that the issue of your arsenal is not the class or specc;)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey,

Sorry you got such a crap response...and it should be expected. Go to their site, they don't even speak English nor do they seem to have empathy or care for those who have been on the front lines during Covid 19 & for what your job was...keeping us safe. Thank you for that!

To answer your question, I have played a bit of Arsenal and I like it. I can't say 100% it is the best choice due to others opinions, but I do like the class and being out of it for years playing other games, coming back to it I do see what you are saying - it does not do as much as a bang up job in dps as it had, but still can be mitigated quite well. Many changes were made since I last played. Definitely check some guides out, but most of all, have fun with what you like. This community has always been toxic and entitled wanna-be players. Unfortunately, there really is no decent community anymore, imo, except for a small few. But keep at it and try to enjoy the game and ignore the drama ;)

Hang in there and happy gaming!

Hey,

Sorry you got such a crap response...and it should be expected. Go to their site, they don't even speak English nor do they seem to have empathy or care for those who have been on the front lines during Covid 19 & for what your job was...keeping us safe. Thank you for that!

To answer your question, I have played a bit of Arsenal and I like it. I can't say 100% it is the best choice due to others opinions, but I do like the class and being out of it for years playing other games, coming back to it I do see what you are saying - it does not do as much as a bang up job in dps as it had, but still can be mitigated quite well. Many changes were made since I last played. Definitely check some guides out, but most of all, have fun with what you like. This community has always been toxic and entitled wanna-be players. Unfortunately, there really is no decent community anymore, imo, except for a small few. But keep at it and try to enjoy the game and ignore the drama ;)

Hang in there and happy gaming!

Yeah, sorry that you got a pretty bad welcome by the community here. I haven't been on these forums in awhile, and i guess what people say about the bad community on these forums is true. I've always been given the advice to seek knowledge away from here, so that would be my advice to.

The SWTOR community can be incredibly toxic all the while feigning ignorance as to how their responses and actions can be taken as "Toxic".

The first couple of responses in this thread prove that.

Be better people.

Where's the thick skin? My generation laughs at the snowflakes because they need a safe space because words are hurtful. I'll go toe to toe in a flame war with the best of them. Passive aggressive insults are just water off a duck's back. I'm not trying to be mean or rude. I'm just dropping a truth bomb. Toughen up.

That being said, I've never been slightly insulted on this forum by anyone. I ask my question and I don't complain about things. When you start complaining about how life was so much better back in the good old days, you're inviting young people to scoff at you. Cut the drama. Ask your question. Don't editorialize it. Then go back and play the game. Simple. Works every time. In fact, I'd like to thank each and every one of you for answering so many of my idiot questions. I may be the most frequent poster of questions on this forum. I should be the one getting flamed regularly.

Edited by Buellzebubba

To OP:

• What is your character level?
  • What is your HP?
  • Do you have a companion out and what is their role (Tank/Heal/DPS)?
  • Are you using your class buff?
  • What is your Item Rating? (This will be at the top left of your character sheet.)
  • If you're at level 75 - What tactical and set bonus set are you wearing?
  • What content are you finding the character is not clearing well? Be as specific as possible. The mob's name (if it has one), is it Weak/Standard/.../Champion, its HP and so on.

• 5 weeks later...

No. You are comparing behavior of people who are under constant threat of abuse to people who sit at home safely behind keyboards and able to express as they actually feel. There is no 'respect and consideration' in prison system, there is only fear. Here people are not afraid of you. Simple to understand difference I hope.

No. I started out recently, got into guild in first hour I was in game, got from level 1 to level 30+ in first 5 hours while learning game mechanics, and all the while chatting in discord with guild members. This is a SOCIAL game and had you treated it as such, by trying out few guilds til you find one that suits you, your experience would have been different. As my first character I actually made Merc Arsenal, and I've used guide coincidentally found in forum signature of first person who replied to you, whose reply you did not like. There are also decent guides to most classes on sites like SWTORISTA and VULKK, but really, this being an MMO logical thing to do would have been to simply join a guild, and speak to someone playing class you are having trouble with directly.

But most important thing to remember is that people are playing this game of their own free will, and paying to do so. They are not sentenced here, and you cannot force them to behave the way that would make you happy. Basically your options are to learn to get along with people who are free individuals or play MMO like it is a single player, although you are in luck that this specific MMO actually can be played that way for quite a long time thanks to stellar class stories.

TL;DR: Go make some friends IN GAME.

• 2 months later...

The gaming community is just a mirror image of society, so you will find really nice people, but also toxic behavior. Don't let that bring you down.

As for the arsenal - for me it's an acquired taste. I didn't like it at first (I just started my first ever merc this year and never played soldier either), but the guide from vulkk did help me a lot. I think basically it comes down to personal preference, I will never like the merc like I like my shadows and scoundrels, but it is ok. I learned the class with heroics and the easier fps. Now moving on to the more challenging stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Same thing w/ people posted here I am starting like my Gunnery Commando utilities and skills after I unlocked them all.

Gunnery Commando is counterpart of Arsenal Merc but Merc have cooler animation and Commando in my opinion have cool gun.

It took me long to master this class like what is my initial skill to use in order to avoid threat in a FP which works for me. I learn to never use my AOE skill in initial engagement to avoid threat compared to Sith Sorcerer that can instantly remove it's threat and Sniper that have shield to mitigate damage.

Definitely this class is hybrid between Sorcerer and Sniper but it is focus on debuffing mob armor which is great being group w/ low level toons and new players in the game. I have group up w/ weird PUG like Tank trying to skip most mob area like we are doing some sort a marathon. I have 2 low lvl toons which are could be returning players, sage trying to be a healer even though it spec is DPS. It feels like in that FP I am the one doing the most damage. Yeah sentinel help too but some areas me and the sage that is the one clearing mobs.

Being mercenary and commando it's utility as semi healer works great too even able to do a combat revive. Also able to CC or disable a mob during combat is amazing especially w/ competent group not attacking the mob I just disable. I can even heal myself so my healer would just focus on the tank and other DPS which makes healing for the healer a easy job.

Also there are bunch of post being posted that merc and commando doesn't do continual damage which is not true for me it totally much depends which rotation you are using.

Arsenal Mercenary / Gunnery Commando is presently the objectively worst DPS spec in the game, so you’re not technically wrong to be disappointed in it. That said, it’s far more likely that the problem is not the discipline itself, but your proficiency at it. If an excellent player can get 22k DPS with a more competitive spec, Arsenal can still get 20.5 to 21k. It’s the worst damage spec for single target DPS, but “worst” is still more than capable of clearing all content in the game in 6.X.

Arsenal has a few unique problems that make it hard to get the most of the spec. For one, it has unique Alacrity requirements only shared with the Carnage discipline, which is also an unpopular PVE spec, and thus is more challenging to gear properly. Two, it is the hardest spec in the game to get the BIS DPS set for, being that Apex Predator is not purchasable. But these problems don’t address the ability to simply become proficient with the rotation, of which Arsenal is arguably the easiest in the game - with either a very simple priority system or a very short repeatable rotation available to use, both of which are highly effective.

Arsenal might be "the objectively worst DPS spec" for dummy parsing but in PvE the spec brings a lot, burst damage, quick target swapping, armor debuff, good cooldowns and being range are all good advantages of the spec. The fact that its sustained DPS is lower than others is, of course, a negative, no doubt in that but looking at some of the higher DPS checks this game has to offer in PvE arsenal is able to hold its own pretty admirably.