Query: How many SWTOR players have played KOTOR?

Malles

KOTOR: The graphics might look strange now but for their time they were fantastic and polished. I played this game a lot; several playthroughs making different choices and such. I've loaded it onto every computer I've had since I bought it and played it through once. I loved the characters and the story; it was incredibly immersive and fun.

KOTOR2: It was a prettier game and the game mechanics were an improvement but it felt unfinished, rushed, and somewhat schizophrenic the whole way through. The root plot was very intriguing but it was also quite muddled and never fully fleshed out or made sense to me. There were whole plot lines that just kind of petered out or ended abruptly with no real conclusion, making the end product feel anticlimactic and very rough. It's a game that I wish was better than it was because I wanted to like it more than I did.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played both KotOR and KotOR II. Loved both games. Had to give the edge to KotOR II as far as characters and story, though. Recently played the "director's cut" with the added content, and it also helped piece things together.

Also, I highly recommend the Tales of the Jedi comics for everyone. It's worth the hunt through your local comic book shops. Everything from The Great Hyperspace War through the Ulic Qel-Droma and Nomi Sunrider books sets the stage nicely for both KotOR and SWTOR. Granted, you may be paying a couple hundred for everything, so I recommend getting one series or graphic novel at a time. For true Star Wars fans, they are a great read from beginning to end. :)

A question for Bioware (or, better, an hope): tell me that you are planning to do a Kotor 3 RPG! ;)

What would the point of a KOTOR 3 be? This game is already at least 8 times the content that could be in a stand alone game. Each class story is equivalent to a stand alone game, and then the real intricacy is playing them all and watching it all fit together. This game gets better the more you focus on the story.

Plus, I don't want one second of development time taken away from this game.

KoTOR was one of those rare gems of a game that comes around once a decade.

So I am a fan but I'm not sure it is necessary from this game's point of view.

In fact, a certain series of flashpoints makes everything you achieve in KoTOR I and II sort of useless.

But from a "certain point of view" everything you achieve in TOR is sort of useless considering we all know how the story eventually ends in a few thousand years aboard the Death Star ;).

- Arcada

KoTOR was one of those rare gems of a game that comes around once a decade.

So I am a fan but I'm not sure it is necessary from this game's point of view.

In fact, a certain series of flashpoints makes everything you achieve in KoTOR I and II sort of useless.

But from a "certain point of view" everything you achieve in TOR is sort of useless considering we all know how the story eventually ends in a few thousand years aboard the Death Star ;).

- Arcada

Some of what you said is actually not true.

What happens in this game actually answers some of the questions people had regarding Revan and Meetrik. The Drew Karpyshin(sp?) novel Revan also fills in some of the blanks, and introduces us to Lord Scourge for the first time.

And as far as what you achieve in TOR being useless because of what happens in the movies, so much more happens all the way up to 1,000 years prior to the movies. So that leaves roughly 2,500 years of war in the Galaxy

until Darth Bane unleashes a "Thought Bomb" that effectively annihilates the Sith Order, leaving him as it's sole survivor. Those of us who follow the EU knows what comes next.

I played both KOTOR I and II.

How it went from those two games to this...is beyond me. It was nice some of the things from 1 and 2 were cleared up, like what happened to the underdwellers in I.

But my major problem, is how much this looks like the fight between the rebellion and the empire, even the armors and symbols are the same.

Why didn't the Sith keep more along the lines of KOTOR I and II as far as armor and symbols instead of reaching forwards to Palpatine's empire.

And if this did happen, why the hell is nobody a student of history during the events of 3 and notice "Hey the republic just fought a sith empire, and suddenly we are turning INTO an empire. Isn't this not wrong?"

Just little things like this.

KOTOR 1 should be mandatory, KOTOR 2 should be recommended, before you can play SWTOR.

As much as I have enjoyed this MMO, particularly its stories, My experiences in the KOTOR games far exceed what I have experienced in this. Anybody who disagrees let me ask you this. Would you play any of the TOR character class stories more then once, or twice maximum? No. I played through the two KOTOR games probably around 10 times in the past 7,8 years and let me tell you. I NEVER GOT BORED. And once I am done the 8 classes in this game, you can count on me playing through those classic games again.

KOTOR > SWTOR

KOTOR 3 should have been made before this, its crime it was never released. I can only pray someone opts to finish it someday. It deserves a proper ending.

I played both and KOTOR was a in my opinion was the better story.

I think the game play aspect was better in Sith lords more customizable. rushing it out the door without all of it's content and not fixing most of the bugs IMHO should to go down as one of the biggest gaffs of all time.

I played them both threw many times and loved them. I haven't read any of the literature from star wars universe in the KOTOR time frame. but hearing that I will now go and start looking for the books.

The problem is that Revan is only really cared about in the foundry FP. Some characters make vague references to Revan, and the only story that I've seen so far that even cares about Revan or someone who has a connection to him is in the JK storyline with Lord Scourge. Not to mention KOTOR2, being made by Obsidian, has VERY vague references made to it. The Exile is very scarcely referenced to by any character. While playing both of them matters to a star wars fan, it doesn't mean **** in this game since it's 300 years afterwards. If it were set 20 years after KOTOR2, then I would agree with OP. With that huge gap of time, it doesn't really help.

I just wanted KOTOR3.

They could've done SWTOR, just not mess with the Revan story...

The Revan novel was great btw, KOTOR2 now kinda makes sense. But SWTOR's story just washed everything away...

Edited by SneiK

The problem is that Revan is only really cared about in the foundry FP. Some characters make vague references to Revan, and the only story that I've seen so far that even cares about Revan or someone who has a connection to him is in the JK storyline with Lord Scourge. Not to mention KOTOR2, being made by Obsidian, has VERY vague references made to it. The Exile is very scarcely referenced to by any character. While playing both of them matters to a star wars fan, it doesn't mean **** in this game since it's 300 years afterwards. If it were set 20 years after KOTOR2, then I would agree with OP. With that huge gap of time, it doesn't really help.

Roll a Republic character and go do the Taral 5 and Maelstrom Prison Flashpoints.

Meetra Surik (The Exile) and Revan are covered in those, since that's how The Foundry FP is set up in the first place.