Has it

Lapetos

Has it been debated that with the Light \/Dark affiliation, that once you reach a certain point that you could change factions in a way. I mean while doing the Jedi knight and the Sith Inquisitor quest lines you effectively get a sith and jedi to switch teams, why can't we do that, cause honestly it seems like the light/dark really have no meaning in the game other than leveling up and choosing some gear that still requires a light side rating or a dark side rating.

It has, and its not going to happen due to the amount of work and more then likely other headaches. Besides those that go from jedi to sith and vice versa are NPCs, not big hero characters like the PC.

Yes, because its absolutely unheard of for a heroic character to start out as a member of the Republic and then become a Sith, right?

Oh wait: :csw_vader:

Yeah. Don't mind him. He's not important or relevant to Star Wars in any way. My advice, OP, is chalk it up to Developer laziness and leave it at that.

Seems unlikely since it would require crafting an additional 4 stories. Not to mention that the only real jumping off point would be the end of chapter 3 but by that point you've done enough that your kinda a mortal enemy of the other side. Not to mention once your that far in there isn't much reason to betray your faction when you've achieved as much as you have by then.

Seems unlikely since it would require crafting an additional 4 stories. Not to mention that the only real jumping off point would be the end of chapter 3 but by that point you've done enough that your kinda a mortal enemy of the other side. Not to mention once your that far in there isn't much reason to betray your faction when you've achieved as much as you have by then.

IA story, for example, gives a perfect opportunity to jump faction that ends up squandered.

Yes, because its absolutely unheard of for a heroic character to start out as a member of the Republic and then become a Sith, right?

Yeah. Don't mind him. He's not important or relevant to Star Wars in any way. My advice, OP, is chalk it up to Developer laziness and leave it at that.

It'd be fun, but so impractical. Even assuming after defecting that you'd just pick up with your mirror class' story. The VA's jobs would literally double. More money, more time... I think I'd rather have the story content come out faster! Pumping out content at a reasonable speed and keeping the voice acting expense on budget is probably the culprit over laziness, especially considering this isn't even a feature everybody would take advantage of.

An easier suggestion would be to allow a difficult "defection quest" at 50, once all of the player's storyline is already done. That way, it's something tacked onto the end instead of reworking the existing story material.

I can see some complication with gear. (If a bounty hunter "defects" to become a trooper, does he keep the same BH gear on, or does it get converted into the equivalent of trooper gear? I personally think it would be awesome to display you've defected by being able to keep your BH gear...)

Except this isn't the story of Anakin, this is a multitude of stories that are being told. You would have a lot of work to do, to make it all happen that really wouldn't be worth it in the end because more then likely there would be problems later on, and plays would piss and moan about it. You want to to play on a side? Then roll a class from that side.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

It might happen eventually, since it was done with good success in City of Heroes/Villains and before that, in EQ II. If they can come up with good Betrayal Quest stories, it might be plausible. Maybe with a level cap extension and more story content. Not saying it's a good or bad idea. Just saying it may happen later on.

It has, and its not going to happen due to the amount of work and more then likely other headaches. Besides those that go from jedi to sith and vice versa are NPCs, not big hero characters like the PC.

I wouldn't make the assumption that it would NEVER happen. It could easily be the purpose of a future expansion. I can't imagine it would be difficult to do.

I wouldn't make the assumption that it would NEVER happen. It could easily be the purpose of a future expansion. I can't imagine it would be difficult to do.

Seems highly doubtful that they would dedicate an expansion to a feature they'd hope only a handful of people would use.

I don't think that it would be that hard to program. The bigger problem, I think, would be dealing with all the whiners who thought it would be *hilarious* to switch factions, then were furious when they were permanently exiled from their guild/other players they knew on their server.

To me, that would be the bigger problem.

I don't think that it would be that hard to program. The bigger problem, I think, would be dealing with all the whiners who thought it would be *hilarious* to switch factions, then were furious when they were permanently exiled from their guild/other players they knew on their server.

To me, that would be the bigger problem.

Programming wouldn't be too bad(well maybe it would depending on how certain things are programmed). The actual problem comes with writing and voice acting. Both of these costs would balloon as a result of faction swapping as they have to double up lines from their 16 voice actors who already have the most lines and likely double the number of lines for the 40 companion voice actors. They also would likely have to increase the amount of writing for any future class story expansion to deal with the fact that you used to be on the other side(probably not quite doubling here but no idea how much). Then you have to implement all of these into the game increasing development time. All faction swapping would really accomplish is slowing down future content expanions and probably reducing the potential scope of them.

It wouldn't be that difficult to acomplish. Say, by the end of your storyline you change factions but are offered a job as a spy for the other faction, which means that gameplay wise you'd still be a member of your original faction, only with a few twiches (a special quest here and there).