Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Characters aging?

Eanelinea
05.03.2012 , 08:05 PM | #1
Alright, I KNOW that our characters aren't really aging. If we made our character look sweet, innocent and 13, she/he will stay that way forever.

But!

And it could just be me, but, it seems like my characters are aging with each part of the class story they complete.

When I first made my Chiss Agent, she was young and innocent, or naive, whichever. She was bright eyed, optimistic and willing to do anything for Imperial Intelligence and the Empire. Then I progressed her through her class story, all the way to the end, and she just seemed to get older and older.

When she landed on Hutta, she was 20-21. having begun her training around 18. But now, (at level 50), she just seems as if she's aged to 35.

As I said, I KNOW, she hasn't changed in the way of her looks, but it's as if she's gone from young and new to everything, to a haggard old war vet.

And it's the same with my level 50 Sith Warrior. She was young and proud to be a Sith and now, it's like she's aged 20 years.

Does anyone else feel as if something like this has happened? Even my Trooper, who was 18 when she first joined Havoc Squad, seems to have suddenly aged almost a decade, and I just entered into chapter 2 of her story.

Temeluchus
05.03.2012 , 08:24 PM | #2
While our characters certainly do seem to at least mature or appear to "age" due to the constant battle and travel, it's not as much as you think. It's been stated by the devs that the class stories take place over a time period of 2-5 years(the time span varies by class) so it would appear that our characters have not aged as much as they seem to have or that you believe.
"Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night.”

Eanelinea
05.03.2012 , 08:31 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Temeluchus View Post
While our characters certainly do seem to at least mature or appear to "age" due to the constant battle and travel, it's not as much as you think. It's been stated by the devs that the class stories take place over a time period of 2-5 years(the time span varies by class) so it would appear that our characters have not aged as much as they seem to have or that you believe.
2-5 years? That's amazing. You wouldn't think that's how long they've been on their class stories, especially when you might level someone from 1-50 in say a week.

No wonder my characters SEEM to age so much. I do understand that they don't actually age or if they sort of do, it's not that much, but it's just I SWEAR, my Sith Warrior looked younger when she was level 1 to how she looks now at level 50.

Must be a combo of what they've gone through and my own perceptions of what they've gone through.

Thanks!

Temeluchus
05.03.2012 , 08:45 PM | #4
Np. I think,and I'd have to dig up the quotes to be 100% sure, that all the classes have Act I take place over the span of a year. The time frame for Acts II and III is where it starts to vary by class.
"Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night.”

Crezelle
05.03.2012 , 11:14 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Eanelinea View Post
2-5 years? That's amazing. You wouldn't think that's how long they've been on their class stories, especially when you might level someone from 1-50 in say a week.

No wonder my characters SEEM to age so much. I do understand that they don't actually age or if they sort of do, it's not that much, but it's just I SWEAR, my Sith Warrior looked younger when she was level 1 to how she looks now at level 50.

Must be a combo of what they've gone through and my own perceptions of what they've gone through.

Thanks!
i know, my agent main looks older too.. kinda nice. but she still has everything firm and in shape when the slave gear pops on
Crezelle De'Chimera, of the Shadowlands
" Secret Agent Blue Booty, at your service. You Lead the way; I bring the kolto. "

Hyfy
05.03.2012 , 11:27 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Eanelinea View Post
Alright, I KNOW that our characters aren't really aging. If we made our character look sweet, innocent and 13, she/he will stay that way forever.

But!

And it could just be me, but, it seems like my characters are aging with each part of the class story they complete.

When I first made my Chiss Agent, she was young and innocent, or naive, whichever. She was bright red eyed, optimistic and willing to do anything for Imperial Intelligence and the Empire. Then I progressed her through her class story, all the way to the end, and she just seemed to get older and older.

When she landed on Hutta, she was 20-21. having begun her training around 18. But now, (at level 50), she just seems as if she's aged to 35.

As I said, I KNOW, she hasn't changed in the way of her looks, but it's as if she's gone from young and new to everything, to a haggard old war vet.

And it's the same with my level 50 Sith Warrior. She was young and proud to be a Sith and now, it's like she's aged 20 years.

Does anyone else feel as if something like this has happened? Even my Trooper, who was 18 when she first joined Havoc Squad, seems to have suddenly aged almost a decade, and I just entered into chapter 2 of her story.
Ehhhh fixed that for ya.
US. ARMY Military Police Corps

Sarcasm, a body's natural defense against stupid

DeutschGamer
05.04.2012 , 12:30 AM | #7
More like 2-3 years over the course of the class quest, but people can change and mature dramatically due to the situations they are put in.

Just look at the presidents, none of them kept the position without getting gray hair by the end of it.
Its all the force's fault.

Corso is my sidekick..or more specifically that little monkey you dress up in a tux and sit in a corner to look interesting but in reality doesn't really do anything.

Velaran
05.04.2012 , 12:43 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by DeutschGamer View Post
More like 2-3 years over the course of the class quest, but people can change and mature dramatically due to the situations they are put in.

Just look at the presidents, none of them kept the position without getting gray hair by the end of it.
You should see the before and after pictures of some of those guys. They look like completely different people.

On topic, it might have something to do with armor as well.

Stenrik
05.31.2012 , 05:40 AM | #9
Wow, so you guys mean that they actually LOOK different in the cutscenes?
I mean it's a cool idea but I can't say I've ever noticed it myself.
Is there any way we could see a before/after screenshot? This tempts me to do a repeatable quest at low level, take a screenshot, and then do the same cutscene in the same gear after hitting 50.
Maybe it's the appearance change from dark side points doing it? And is the change showing up in the character select screen?

Anyway I had always assumed that the quest story takes place over the course of like, a few weeks! I think it's weird they'd make it as long as it is. I mean, most of our class story objectives have to be done NOW. (Someone has to be saved, so you wait 2 months to save them? ) I mean sure, if space travel took a lot longer, maybe... but the canon kinda established that it doesn't take weeks or months to get to a planet.

Even after the class missions on a planet, the call to go to the next planet is usually pretty pressing. So where's all the gap time?

Maaruin
05.31.2012 , 09:21 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Stenrik View Post
Wow, so you guys mean that they actually LOOK different in the cutscenes?
I mean it's a cool idea but I can't say I've ever noticed it myself.
Is there any way we could see a before/after screenshot? This tempts me to do a repeatable quest at low level, take a screenshot, and then do the same cutscene in the same gear after hitting 50.
Maybe it's the appearance change from dark side points doing it? And is the change showing up in the character select screen?

Anyway I had always assumed that the quest story takes place over the course of like, a few weeks! I think it's weird they'd make it as long as it is. I mean, most of our class story objectives have to be done NOW. (Someone has to be saved, so you wait 2 months to save them? ) I mean sure, if space travel took a lot longer, maybe... but the canon kinda established that it doesn't take weeks or months to get to a planet.

Even after the class missions on a planet, the call to go to the next planet is usually pretty pressing. So where's all the gap time?
Imagine the planets far bigger than they are in game. The distances far larger.

There is a consular quest on Taris where you have to search for a missing expedition. Ingame you will find them within an hour (or within 10 minutes if you skip sidequests). But searching for a missing expedition on taris could take a week or longer in reality.

Or on republic Balmorra

Spoiler

1-2 month per planet fits, I think. Space travel will take a few days to a few weeks, I think, depending on the distance. (Act 1 = 1 year; Act 2+3 = 1 year).

And of course on a search and rescue mission you have to save the person now. But expect it to take longer than five minutes. Maybe it takes half a day and after that you are so exausted that you can't just go on fighting. You probably have to rest for the rest of the day.
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall