Are you kidding me...

Ariellia

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty clear that the name is violating the naming policy... Changing the name is appropriate.

Not really. The word 'empire' is not a proper name, nor is it trademarked, etc etc. The proper names of all the various empires can be found here, none of which are just called 'Empire' (thanks to Airi for the link!).

Edited by ljenner

Has no one else noticed that this is a direct violation on Bioware's policy...they are breaking their own rules. It states clearly in the image OP posted that,

"Guilds, however, MAY use proper names in order to promote RP and realm pride."

It seems to me this GM was incorrect in their ruling.

Check the image again: Ticket Image

Edited by Freshman
Messed up the link

Has no one else noticed that this is a direct violation on Bioware's policy...they are breaking their own rules. It states clearly in the image OP posted that,

"Guilds, however, MAY use proper names in order to promote RP and realm pride."

It seems to me this GM was incorrect in their ruling.

Check the image again: Ticket Image

But then they give specific examples that solidify what they mean.

If the guild's name was "Defenders of the Empire" or "Renegades of the Empire" or something like that, I doubt it would have violated the TOS.

I'd say you lucked out being able to have that guild name for a year. I know it's not fun to have to change the name but you should have known better than to try to snag that one anyway, frankly.

It isn't rocket science to know that they specifically do not want confusing faction names or character names being used within the game so as to separate the players from the lore characters, but yet people try to do it over and over again. It boggles my mind.

So they can be bothered with this, but they won't change <noinapmoC ruoY> to <Your Companion>?

Sigh.

The <Your Companion> guild is name is already in use (one of Polytonic's alts is the GM).

On the subject of the OP, it definitely sucks to have to change your guild name, especially after all this time. In fairness, it *is* in violation of the naming TOS, but that doesn't make it bite any less. You could go with something like <Hounds of the Empire> to give it an obvious link back to the original (and hat-tip Heirad). I'm pretty sure <Empire Strikes Back> would also be rejected by CS, although it is hilarious.

Incidentally, there is a rep-side guild, <Republic>, that I see around on occasion. I wonder if they've been reported as well.

Edited by KeyboardNinja

The <Your Companion> guild is name is already in use (one of Polytonic's alts is the GM).

On the subject of the OP, it definitely sucks to have to change your guild name, especially after all this time. In fairness, it *is* in violation of the naming TOS, but that doesn't make it bite any less. You could go with something like <Hounds of the Empire> to give it an obvious link back to the original (and hat-tip Heirad). I'm pretty sure <Empire Strikes Back> would also be rejected by CS, although it is hilarious.

Incidentally, there is a rep-side guild, <Republic>, that I see around on occasion. I wonder if they've been reported as well.

Don't tell me he snagged it last week? That bites. We'd even be willing to pay for a guild rename at this point. If only there were a clear guild merger utility of some kind...

Though, I'm really surprised they allow <Your Companion>, based on the same ruling of the OP's issue. If they're that concerned about it, I think they would want to disallow something that causes so much (admittedly hilarious) confusion.

Ok so its a violation to them. BFD.. Reset the name. whatever..

What would piss me off is paragraph 2..

A threat really!?!?! "If you continue to violate our terms of service." etc...

What pompous statement. Yea like you guys intentionally set out to violate their terms of service. Or had your attorney read the 2k word doc before clicking "yes.. now let me play the damn game".

IMO Empire is not a proper name. There have been multiple Empires across time and space. Why they see the need to have issue here is beyond me. Frankly with 2.0 dropping, you'd think they would have enough on their plate to not worry about semantics or hypothetical terms violations.

Now if the guild name was in some way offensive like.. Arash is Bad... :D or some reference to human anatomy I could see a problem.

This is just nit picky BS if you ask me.

The word "empire" means the following

merriam-webster dictionary:

Definition of EMPIRE

a (1) : a major political unit having a territory of great extent or a number of territories or peoples under a single sovereign authority; especially : one having an emperor as chief of state (2) : the territory of such a political unit

b : something resembling a political empire; especially : an extensive territory or enterprise under single domination or control

: imperial sovereignty, rule, or dominion

capitalized [Empire State, nickname for New York] : a juicy apple with dark red skin that is a cross between a McIntosh apple and a Red Delicious apple

____

It's The Imperial faction not the empire faction that red symbol everyone knows is the Imperial Crest. The Imperial faction is ruled by an empire, The Galactic Empire, sometimes referred to as the improper "The Empire".

____

Wookieepedia -

List of Empires in Star Wars:

The Infinite Empire, created by the Rakata sometime before 30,000 BBY. Ended in 25,200 BBY.

Adas's Sith Empire, established after the Rakata were driven off Korriban.

The Hutt Empire, from c. 25,200 BBY-25,000 BBY.

Xim's empire, which lasted from 25,130 BBY to 25,100 BBY.

The Azure Imperium, a pre-Republic empire centered on Axum.

The Tapani Empire, extending from 7,328 BBY to 1,582 BBY.

The Old Sith Empire, led by several Sith, including Marka Ragnos and Naga Sadow.

Exar Kun's Sith Empire, in conjunction with the Brotherhood of the Sith.

Darth Revan's Sith Empire, led by first Revan and then Malak in 3,956 BBY.

The resurgent Sith Empire, which existed throughout the Great Galactic War and the Cold War.

The New Sith Empire of the Brotherhood of Darkness, led by various Dark Lords of the Sith, including Kaan during the New Sith Wars.

Jabba Desilijic Tiure's criminal empire

Gardulla the Elder's criminal empire

The Galactic Empire, led by Emperor Palpatine and Darth Vader as the replacement for the Galactic Republic 19 BBY-19 ABY.

Empire Reborn, between 4 ABY and 14 ABY.

Zsinj's Empire formed in 4 ABY and fell in 8 ABY.

The Ssi-ruuvi Imperium, the empire of the Ssi-ruuk, until 28 ABY.

The Empire of the Hand, established in the Unknown Regions by Grand Admiral Thrawn in 9 ABY, which fell between 25 ABY and 30 ABY.

The Yuuzhan Vong Empire, the government of the Yuuzhan Vong that was run by the Supreme Overlord and the Intendant caste 27 ABY–29 ABY.

The Esselian Empire of the Darpa sector.

The Hiromi Empire.

The Fel Empire, formed some time after 44 ABY and destroyed in 130 ABY.

The Empire-in-exile, a remnant of the Fel Empire from 130 ABY to 138 ABY.

Darth Krayt's Galactic Empire 130 ABY to 138 ABY.

The Vagaari Empire.

The Second Imperium, formed in 19 ABY and run by an ersatz Palpatine, Brakiss, and four Royal Guards. It was ultimately destroyed by the New Republic in 23 ABY.

The Corellian Empire

The Imperial Remnant formed in 12 ABY and reorganized into the Fel Empire sometime after 44 ABY.

____

Thus the simple word "Empire" is not in violation of ToS and I expect my guild name to be returned shortly.

Edited by Ariellia

Don't tell me he snagged it last week? That bites. We'd even be willing to pay for a guild rename at this point. If only there were a clear guild merger utility of some kind...

He actually snagged it a few weeks after launch. :-) You could probably get him to trade it to you, since his intended usage for the guild never panned out. Polytonic is his main; Cinotylop is his primary alt (both rep side). He's been pretty busy with school lately, but I've seen him log in once or twice.