ETA on Faction Change and Cost

Superman_AZ

I'd be OK with a faction change, so long as it had these limitations:

1) It set you back to level 1, no matter what your current level.

2) Class quest is reset.

3) All companions are lost.

4) You lose your ship.

On second thought, you could always roll an alt...

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of curiosity, is this born out of a desire to bring a republic toon into a imp raid or warzone? (Or vice versa)

Like, having a group consisting of a Powertech, Assassin, Commando and Jedi Sage?

Or by faction change, do you mean converting a Powertech into a Vanguard, an Assassin into a Shadow, etc.?

I would love to do a defector's quest allowing me to bring a Jedi to the Darkside (Imperials) or a Bounty Hunter into the Republic. We have NPC spies already in the game. Playing one for real on an RP realm would be awesome. Next best thing would be the Faction change. My bounty hunter decides he wants to fight for something more than creds and enlists in the new Havoc Squad. Or my Jedi is tired of being a goodie two shoes, and is enlisted by Sith Lords on Dromund Kaas.

I think we both know the real reason you started this thread ;)

I mean, if you know it's NEVER going to happen, why even ask?

I was quite happy speculating on the merits of AC swaps until you turned up and turned it into your personal crusade :rolleyes:.

likely never... and never... are two different standpoints. Let's not confuse them.

So this thread isn't actually about discussing how Faction Swap could work? :confused:

Because it mostly just seems to be people arguing about AC swaps... or something... actually I can't really tell what this is about, It's kind of weird.

But it's actually an interesting topic to figure out how you could implement a Faction swap in SWTOR, given how convoluted and faction-bound so many of its features are.

Defector's quest would be the most likely scenario. But, in order to make it work, BW would need to build companions into opposite storylines which would imply more voice acting, production costs, etc. As amazing as a Faction change through defector's quest MIGHT be, there are just too many expenses involved to allow for such a decision to take place.

You don't have access to it, but that doesn't mean it's not there, unless you don't have cargo hold access for some other reason than you haven't gotten to the fleet yet. In all honesty, I have no idea how that works at all. The plus side is that for the majority of stuff that you'd want to save, you won't need it at level 1 anyway. In DDO, they have True Reincarnation, which does almost exactly this, and creates a special bank added to the bank called the TR Cache, where all the stuff you've had in your bank is put. Of course, there you have access to your bank as soon as you get back to the mainland, which on a TR is lvl 1, since you've already done the "tutorial".

Youy have to at least grind up to level 7/8 just to get to fleet. LvL 1 can't leave the planet anymore :confused:

Defector's quest would be the most likely scenario. But, in order to make it work, BW would need to build companions into opposite storylines which would imply more voice acting, production costs, etc. As amazing as a Faction change through defector's quest MIGHT be, there are just too many expenses involved to allow for such a decision to take place.
Yeah but the reason I favor the 60+ story-driven version is that it gives BioWare an excuse to declare another "content" patch.

In exchange for a relatively slight increase in lines of VA (because missions are pretty stock between classes from Makeb forward) they can have Patch 3.4: DEFECTION!!!1! or whatever and that's another 4 months of content taken care of.

Like, I actually really like the idea, I'm not as cynical as that may sound, but I'm just trying to be realistic — it gives BW another 'kind-of content' that's potentially big payoff (in terms of brief interest-in-game spikes) for relatively low investment (because relatively few new assets need to be created, since BW has stressed over and over that VA is relatively cheap).

Then they can sell a CM item which lets you skip the 6-hour storyline mission explaining your swap and just jump to the end. :p

Yeah but the reason I favor the 60+ story-driven version is that it gives BioWare an excuse to declare another "content" patch.

In exchange for a relatively slight increase in lines of VA (because missions are pretty stock between classes from Makeb forward) they can have Patch 3.4: DEFECTION!!!1! or whatever and that's another 4 months of content taken care of.

Like, I actually really like the idea, I'm not as cynical as that may sound, but I'm just trying to be realistic — it gives BW another 'kind-of content' that's potentially big payoff (in terms of brief interest-in-game spikes) for relatively low investment (because relatively few new assets need to be created, since BW has stressed over and over that VA is relatively cheap).

Then they can sell a CM item which lets you skip the 6-hour storyline mission explaining your swap and just jump to the end. :p

I think you have a cool idea and would enjoy seeing something like that in future content.

Who knows what the pay off at the end of a story chain called 'Forged Alliance' could possibly be?

It always made me chuckle that when levelling up through the planets most, if not all of the threats came from a third party source that both the Republic and Imperial factions would fight against.

Nar Shaddaa - Criminal gangs and Hutts

Tatooine - Czerka corporation, Sand People

Alderaan - Noble Houses of Rist and Ulgo

Balmorra -Resistance/ Seperatists

Taris - Rakghouls

Quesh - Hutts

Hoth - White Maw Pirates

Belsavis - Eshka

Voss - Gormak

Only on Corellia and Ilum is there a direct conflict between the Republic and Imperials, and if you've played through the Imperial stories you know going through those planets most of the fighting is infighting between imperial factions.

It's a shame that like minded Republic and Imperial characters couldn't team up to take down a mutual enemy like the Dreadmasters.

As no doubt stated many times in this thread already, faction (as well as gender) affects way too many variables in the story, unlike AC, which affects nothing.

But nice trolling anyway, I guess.

Which is all it is...a troll post.

I find most people quick to pull the "troll" trigger seldom have a solid argument, and are usually just trying to discredit an OP by tossing out a buzzword that incites a negative response. Feel free to see it any way you like, I stand by my OP and do not appreciate the insulting buzzword.

It's simple how it could work, but the OP won't want to do it, because it takes away from his troll of the other thread:

You buy the token from the CM, and it resets all your crafting skills to 0, and sets the character to level 1. You get to keep all the stuff in your cargo hold, and all your credits. You then start over as the new faction, and presto, no issues with quest flags, they've all been reset, and you're level 1, so haven't done anything yet. You have the added bonus of getting to keep your name. If your new faction weapons don't coincide, too bad, you're starting over, you'll have to acquire new stuff.

That's just ludicrous. I know you're poking fun at the OP, but this is just nonsense. Legacy bank will take care of all of that and you just create a new character.

Faction change would be fun, but I want to keep my class if I got to do it. It could be something available at end game, though it kind of makes future story content a bit more challenging.

And...queue the feigned shock at being called out for what you're doing. Glad to see you've returned that same instigator you left as.

Not sure what I did to tick you off. I've not called you a troll, I've not derailed any of your threads, and I've never attacked you personally on a topic. Wish I could say the same. and.... queue my tiny violin (beat you to it).

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

This is a good question! We have been asked this a few times at some of our Cantina Tours as well but I wanted to make sure we had the answer here in the forums for folks to be able to find it.

I am remiss to ever say the word never, but I can say that it is very, very unlikely that we would ever implement any type of Faction change. As some others have alluded to in this thread, a very many things are tied into your characters Faction, and the choices they have made throughout their story. Due to that, having your faction change has a lot of impact on many things, not only from a story sense, but also technically involving your character.

Because of that, it is very unlikely we will ever implement Faction change.

-eric

Not sure what I did to tick you off. I've not called you a troll, I've not derailed any of your threads, and I've never attacked you personally on a topic. Wish I could say the same. and.... queue my tiny violin (beat you to it).

No, you only post threads in the wrong forum.

Would doing it at max level with the understanding that all your 1-50ish stuff "happened" (so those flags don't need to be reset etc) change anything?

Or is it much more complicated than that?

Hey folks,

This is a good question! We have been asked this a few times at some of our Cantina Tours as well but I wanted to make sure we had the answer here in the forums for folks to be able to find it.

I am remiss to ever say the word never, but I can say that it is very, very unlikely that we would ever implement any type of Faction change. As some others have alluded to in this thread, a very many things are tied into your characters Faction, and the choices they have made throughout their story. Due to that, having your faction change has a lot of impact on many things, not only from a story sense, but also technically involving your character.

-eric

Thanks Eric! I appreciate the response. I'm bummed, but not completely put out by it. I know it is likely a difficult and spendy feature to implement, and really isn't conducive to the SWTOR world. But thank you for stopping by and clearing that up for us!

Hey folks,

-eric

I truly appreciate your reply Eric, thank you!!!

Thanks Eric! I appreciate the response. I'm bummed, but not completely put out by it. I know it is likely a difficult and spendy feature to implement, and really isn't conducive to the SWTOR world. But thank you for stopping by and clearing that up for us!

Now that that's cleared up...I am very much in favor of being able to reset your class quest to start it over.

Would doing it at max level with the understanding that all your 1-50ish stuff "happened" (so those flags don't need to be reset etc) change anything?

Or is it much more complicated than that?

well its alot more complicated than that.

for instance companions, they are tied to your char story, so how would they transfer? Would they just magically change to imp side versions?

The other issue is your class, say you are a Commando and swap to Imperial. Do you suddenly become a Merc (with two blasters instead of an assault cannon)?

Ship would be your other issue since those are also faction specific.

There is just too much tied to faction, class, gender, and story to just simply state (let us change _____ ) and ignore impacts/consequences.