Nightmare is too easy

Why is it called Nightmare when its basically the same as normal but with a little more health or damage.

Wheres the additional mechanics, wheres the raid bosses that take a week of play time to figure out and master the mechanics.

If this is the standard we can expect then you can wave goodbye to the raiding portion of your community, allready some in my guild are bored, full battlemaster finished all content zzz.

Wheres the competative pvp or difficult endgame?

Without these SWTOR wont last a year.

yeah. Karagga should grow legs and start to walk...oh wait...

Just accept, that SWTOR is no game for hardcore raiders. By now only a mere fraction of the millions of WoW players have ever seen Ragnaros in heroic mode, let alone beaten him and that is clearly not the approach that Bioware has taken so far with their raid content.

They want to make it accessible for the larger part of the player, I guess.

Edited by Gerudan

Name me an MMO that at release satisfied hardcore raiders? There are none. Every game is released with the focus on the rush to level cap. Later is when raiding is addressed. If youve played an MMO you know this and accept it.

Keep in mind this is the first tier of bosses.. limits to how difficult it can be made, something needs to stay holy for the later tiers.

That makes no sense at all.

Each boss has 3 difficulty settings......

Like most things in this game, if you can call it that (most would call it a 'frustration'), it looks like it should work, but simply doesn't. You would expect given the 3 difficult settings that Nightmare would be tuned to be.....well..... a Nightmare. The truth is though that the developers put little thought into it, and assumed 'gief boss 10% moar hp here' would be enough to warrant the higher difficulty. They did not include more mechanics or come up with anthing unique at all.

I'd like to point out as well that this isn't 2004. This isn't the first time people have seen raiding before. Even casuals have been trained on raiding bosses for years since wow released, so unless Bioware announces some changes or new content in 2-3 weeks i predict mass quanities of players leaving the game. Even casuals expect challenging content at end game.

Edited by Pengant

Name me an MMO that at release satisfied hardcore raiders? There are none. Every game is released with the focus on the rush to level cap. Later is when raiding is addressed. If youve played an MMO you know this and accept it.

MMO developers love you and your mentality. It allows them to put out a crap product and "fix" it later. This is 2012 expectations are changing....thats a good thing, get on board;)

Edited by Menisong

unless Bioware announces some changes or new content in 2-3 weeks i predict mass quanities of players leaving the game. Even casuals expect challenging content at end game.

yey another prediction :rolleyes:

MMO developers love you and your mentality. It allows them to put out a crap product and "fix" it later. This is 2012 expectations are changing....thats a good thing, get on board;)

You mean the ol' famous "I want it nao!"-Mentality? Yeah.. that works sorta nice in a 7 years old MMO. Hell - even on any other type of game you purchase.

On a brand new game of this kind.... either loose the mentality and get realistic or be ready for a world of frustration, disappointment and rage.

That said... get on board here.

Each boss has 3 difficulty settings......

Like most things in this game, if you can call it that (most would call it a 'frustration'), it looks like it should work, but simply doesn't. You would expect given the 3 difficult settings that Nightmare would be tuned to be.....well..... a Nightmare. The truth is though that the developers put little thought into it, and assumed 'gief boss 10% moar hp here' would be enough to warrant the higher difficulty. They did not include more mechanics or come up with anthing unique at all.

I'd like to point out as well that this isn't 2004. This isn't the first time people have seen raiding before. Even casuals have been trained on raiding bosses for years since wow released, so unless Bioware announces some changes or new content in 2-3 weeks i predict mass quanities of players leaving the game. Even casuals expect challenging content at end game.

You assume everyone has been playing MMOs before TOR.

I haven't and I am having a lot of fun trying to clear the Ops.

On my server we have two guilds that are content clear on 8-man and are struggling on 16 man right now so I don't see how the content is "too easy"

It's not supposed to be so insanely hard that only veterans have a chance of clearing it because it will put the rest of the community off.

On my server we have two guilds that are content clear on 8-man and are struggling on 16 man right now so I don't see how the content is "too easy"

It's not supposed to be so insanely hard that only veterans have a chance of clearing it because it will put the rest of the community off.

Actually that's exactly what Nightmare should be

RIFT had some awsome tier 1 and tier 2 content...

There's no problem with BioWare trying to cater for everyone. I'm no hardcore player myself - but realistically when you have 3 different difficulties:

1. Should be easy enough for all groups of players (even PUG raids) to eventually complete it.

2. Should be difficult enough that a well put together group/guild will get it done. (This would cover most PvE guilds)

3. Nightmare should be, that jump that separates the weak from the strong. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Afterall, all players, casual or hardcore alike are all getting to experience the endgame content, only that the hardcore are able to challenge themselves (while the rest contrinue to have fun challenging themselves on option 2).

Think about it - it's the only thing that makes real sense. If people were to then complain that Nightmare is too hard, they should simply be told: No you're just not good enough.

Because end of the day, there's absolutely nothing wrong with not being good enough to do Nightmare mode - you would still be able to do the other difficulties thus still experiencing the content - so everybody wins :)

Myself, I wouldnt be bothered if I couldnt do Nightmare. I'd do the other difficulties, and I'd try Nightmare - and even if I couldnt beat it - i'd keep trying it (until eventually giving up). And this way EVERYONE gets a challenge, both casual or new players as well as experienced MMO vets.

^ this

Why have 3 difficulty settings when there is bugger all difference between them?

Ummmm, have you played and seen the difference in Maelstrom Prison Hard Mode and Normal? The Warden's eye laser in HM is practically a 1 shot kill unless you're a tank with great gear. This is assuming that you haven't gotten any Rakata, Columni or Tionese gear.

The difficulties are tiered so that you can get better gear between normal, HM and Nightmare. When you go do the harder ones, it seems to run like the others as long as you have gotten the better/best gear available prior doing the runs.

For example, when you do a normal FP you can get by with gear you find from drops. However, when you reach level 50, you need to start doing the dailies to get the better mods and equipment. So then when you go do the HMs, it will run similar to normal with some exceptions (reference the eye laser above).

As you're doing the HMs, you'll find better and better gear. Once you get a full set of Columni/Tionese, then the Nightmare difficulty will run very similar to HM. As long as you've taken the time to get properly geared up, then it just comes down to what strategy you use in the FPs.

Sincerely,

Jester

Ummmm, have you played and seen the difference in Maelstrom Prison Hard Mode and Normal?

Ya, because comparing a lvl 30ish instance on normal and its hard mode version just makes your point stand out. How about the difference between D7 normal and hard mode? There is close to no difference. False emperor normal and hard? again almost no difference. Difference between EV normal mode and nightmare mode? Close to non-existent.

Edited by Cynistra

Ummmm, have you played and seen the difference in Maelstrom Prison Hard Mode and Normal? The Warden's eye laser in HM is practically a 1 shot kill unless you're a tank with great gear. This is assuming that you haven't gotten any Rakata, Columni or Tionese gear.

The difficulties are tiered so that you can get better gear between normal, HM and Nightmare. When you go do the harder ones, it seems to run like the others as long as you have gotten the better/best gear available prior doing the runs.

For example, when you do a normal FP you can get by with gear you find from drops. However, when you reach level 50, you need to start doing the dailies to get the better mods and equipment. So then when you go do the HMs, it will run similar to normal with some exceptions (reference the eye laser above).

As you're doing the HMs, you'll find better and better gear. Once you get a full set of Columni/Tionese, then the Nightmare difficulty will run very similar to HM. As long as you've taken the time to get properly geared up, then it just comes down to what strategy you use in the FPs.

Sincerely,

Jester

Any tank that takes any damage from that boss is terrible.

Sincerely,

Jester

This is the definition of a treadmill, and not of difficulty.

To run nightmare you should HAVE to have full columi w/ some rakata, and it should STILL be harder to complete than HM.

Being a veteran of the MMO genre has nothing to do with your ability to clear content. I know people are going to disagree with me, but it's the truth. When I start doing group content in MMOs, I had no prior experience, obviously, and had little to no trouble figuring things out.

If you are having trouble clearing OPs, you, or more specifically, the whole of your team, lacks basic problem solving skills. I'm making the assumption your team is geared appropriately and knows their classes well. If this is a bad assumption, then it becomes a much more complex problem to tackle.

In summation: stop being bad and you'll clear OPs.

Being a veteran of the MMO genre has nothing to do with your ability to clear content. I know people are going to disagree with me, but it's the truth. When I start doing group content in MMOs, I had no prior experience, obviously, and had little to no trouble figuring things out.

I have to agree with you, people tend to overestimate the benefits of having previous MMO experience. It is basically the same skills people use in gaming regardless of what the game is. So I would look at peoples gaming experience as a whole rather than looking at MMO experience only.

Sincerely,

Jester

Since when is Maelstorm Prison a Nightmare mode operation?

We are not discussing flashpoints and they have no relavence to this conversation.

The issue is that gearing to be sufficently powerful to complete ALL nightmare content takes 1 week from when you ding 50.

Mixed Columi/Champion gear is enough to kill Karagga and SOA on 16man Nightmare.

This should not be possible.

Nightmare is far too easy, 0 new mechanics added at the hardest difficulty level.

Nightmare is far too easy, 0 new mechanics added at the hardest difficulty level.

This was my biggest disappointment in HM and Nightmare operations. There is no new mechanics other than enrage timer. The bosses are exactly the same as on normal with some more hitpoints. I was expecting to see something new when we went to clear Nightmare, but absolutely nothing.

I would like to see new abilities on the bosses that need to be figured out, not just more hitpoints and more dmg.