Leaving in unranked warzones

Nickhilius

Greetings!

As a daily unranked warzone player I have a question for all of the others queing. Why do you decide to leave? I mean, of course, I understand that it might be 'frustrating' losing a match and getting a little less commendations. Yes, you are paying your subscription or for your pass so you deserve to decide wether to leave or not.

But do you know there are also other players that don't leave? There are actually people who just stay in the warzone, no matter what happens. Dumb? Maybe. But without those players, warzones would just stop when someone stealth caps a node, and the defender didn't call incoming. Warzones would stop when someone couldn't pass the ball in huttball while being stunlocked.

I am one of those people stay, and my reason to stay is because I know that when I leave, someone else joins who has nothing to do with this warzone. That person loses (or leaves, and someone else joins) because you don't want to stay. I'm seeing warzones where 5 or 6 people leave the group (and sometimes they join again, and then leave again :rak_02:) and the warzone ends with a big loss.

Joining, being, or getting farmed in a match isn't fun, but it's kinda your fault that it happens. 1 Person can mess it up, but it's your decision not to make the same mistake. I'm not saying that if you leave, it's 100% your fault and you should be punished, but it's certainly not the best decision for the team.

Also, I've had enough experience in warzones to see that losing a node or losing a point isn't that bad. It might lead to a loss, especially if you leave, yes. The team needs to do the 8-man job with the remaining squad, because 1 person didn't want to lose. Sometimes when a node gets capped, it has a good reason. It might even get recapped, and you might even win! Small chance? As an objective player I think that leaving a warzone just ruins the match. So you aren't any better than the person who messed it up in my eyes. The person who decides to cap, and run away, stays. You can (attempt to) try to explain what he did wrong, and make sure he won't do it again. You can defend yourself.

Before you comment: I know you leave because there are premades, a lot of sages, they have someone who just beats you up every warzone, you have someone who doesn't read the chat ( or doesn't use it). I'm just curious why you still leave, knowing someone will 'absorb' your loss. And for the people who actually do leave because of the noobs in their team : You think they are noobs? Explain them what to do better instead of just ragequiting. They will never get better if no one teaches them how to.

Are there any others who agree with me? Or am I just being alone here?

As someone who has been both ill give you my point of view.

I never used to leave, ever.. regardless of comp, for 2 basic reasons. #1 i didnt want to screw anyone else into the mess, and #2 i took it a chance to help others learn.

I no longer do this for another 2 reasons. #1 the number of people that would extend the same courtesy fell to basically nothing. #2 Doing so was certainly neither appreciated or respected by the other side.

Add to this the fact that most of those i tried to actually help were not interested in assistance cause they either already knew or didnt care.

Bottom line, i reached my quote on martyrdom. I was giving up my fun so that others could have i guess fun, if thats what you call completely imbalanced matches. It was no longer worth wasting 10-15 minutes of my time urinating into a strong facing wind. If its even remotely balanced ill give my max effort, but if all i see is the usual premade across from me and ive got randoms and some of them not even in pvp gear, im not going to take the focus of the premade so they can have fun.

I'm not paying my sub for their enjoyment.

Edited by Floplag

Basically this is why I'm leaving matches, too.

In my case, with "their" meaning those who are simply overwhelming my own team.

But it has to be a match in which I can see no land, so to say. I have had one very gruesome match with them having the full number at the end of the Ancient Hypergates - and ourteam something around 20 or even less.

At that point I just couldn't bear it anymore.

And I do know that you just can't imagine gaps like this. You will accuse me to be a troll.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

1) undergeared players who have no real intention of winning, in fact their goal is simply to get as many matches over so they complete their conquest goals, so they usually just do as many dumb stupid things as possible to make the match unbearable

2)win traders, its rampant..ive had players admit it..i record their names..I see them I'm out

this "leaving" really wasn't a problem until 3 things were introduced into the game

1)insta 60's...what a wonderful way to assist the ******* credit sellers..thank you BW..such a wonderful idea

2)conquest points, awesome, again..players will just do as many matches as they can to get the points...quickly thus crap play

3)pvp companion quests..sorry *** were you thinking BW..stupid idea.

BW you didn't save pvp with these ideas..you killed it. If you really wanted to save pvp, it required 1 thing

cross server..failing that merge the servers..the pop is shrinking and I'm fairly sure you know it, we know it..its time to just ride the train to oblivion..and no I'm not paying you money to transfer.

I prefer not to leave until one of two things happen. When 7 members of my team destroyed in mid in 6 vs 7.

P.S. I seen it at Alderaan (I got one at my turret, one more was at their turret and my team lost mid, because they all was dead!) and at Denova (same story).

When I see that my teammates can't even win 3 vs 1 against someone who I killed solo.

As for me, I never leave warzones, even if I'm on the horrendously losing side. The only exception is when I have to actually leave my computer for other stuff but I usually say sorry to my team for leaving.

I usually play Tank or DPS. If you guys want to play with me, I'm on the Red Eclipse server, usually on my Guardian (Casval Rem Deikun) or my Assassin (Artesia Som Deikun).

What grinds my gear though, is when people don't want to partake in the logical solution. But then I remember that I'm on an Unranked game, so I need to chill out more xD

Thanks to everyone for responding, I'll try to answer some of you.

As someone who has been both ill give you my point of view.

I never used to leave, ever.. regardless of comp, for 2 basic reasons. #1 i didnt want to screw anyone else into the mess, and #2 i took it a chance to help others learn.

I no longer do this for another 2 reasons. #1 the number of people that would extend the same courtesy fell to basically nothing. #2 Doing so was certainly neither appreciated or respected by the other side.

Add to this the fact that most of those i tried to actually help were not interested in assistance cause they either already knew or didnt care.

Bottom line, i reached my quote on martyrdom. I was giving up my fun so that others could have i guess fun, if thats what you call completely imbalanced matches. It was no longer worth wasting 10-15 minutes of my time urinating into a strong facing wind. If its even remotely balanced ill give my max effort, but if all i see is the usual premade across from me and ive got randoms and some of them not even in pvp gear, im not going to take the focus of the premade so they can have fun.

I agree some people don't like being helped, I will never understand those :p

However, there's someting about your last sentence.

You're not paying sub for their enjoyment. So you say, that when the match is going terrible, leaving is a good sollution? If everone would leave the warzone, this would cause warzones just stopping after seeing the other team has a premade. You get my point? I understand it might be frustrating but you need to get used to losing when you enter a que. Not every warzone will turn out great, but that's the concequence of queing :o

--

Basically this is why I'm leaving matches, too.

In my case, with "their" meaning those who are simply overwhelming my own team.

But it has to be a match in which I can see no land, so to say. I have had one very gruesome match with them having the full number at the end of the Ancient Hypergates - and ourteam something around 20 or even less.

At that point I just couldn't bear it anymore.

And I do know that you just can't imagine gaps like this. You will accuse me to be a troll.

I won't accuse you of a troll, I take every comment serious :)

I have seen that warzone from both sides, losing with zero points or winning against zero points. But that's not always the mistake of noob players, sometimes it's something no one can do about. I've seen a ton of warzones where we couldn't cap an objective with a whole team, because a 4 man premade with 2 healers and a tank kept us busy. You can say it's a lack of DPS, stunlocks or interupts, but it's also healers being overpowerd, especially sages.

--

1) undergeared players who have no real intention of winning, in fact their goal is simply to get as many matches over so they complete their conquest goals, so they usually just do as many dumb stupid things as possible to make the match unbearable

2)win traders, its rampant..ive had players admit it..i record their names..I see them I'm out

this "leaving" really wasn't a problem until 3 things were introduced into the game

1)insta 60's...what a wonderful way to assist the ******* credit sellers..thank you BW..such a wonderful idea

2)conquest points, awesome, again..players will just do as many matches as they can to get the points...quickly thus crap play

3)pvp companion quests..sorry *** were you thinking BW..stupid idea.

TBH I think you're making some things up. I don't think people are literally joining warzones to mess it up for others. Maybe 1 or 2, but not on a regular base. People don't do dumb things on purpose, you might think they do because its so obvious for your experience of pvp. Recently I started doing PVE and some things seem very logic for me (for instance: moving around the target) but that's not always the best option to do. Some people are new to the game or to online gaming and might find this confusing.

For your 3 leaving causes:

1) I don't see how gold sellers increase the leavers in a warzone. For the insta 60's : This might cause players play a class without knowing how to, but I don't think you knew your class the first time you did endgame, did you?

2) You can do warzones for conquest, but completing a warzones doesn't give as much conquest as the weekly or winning a warzone. In other words: for conquest, winning gives the most conquest, so I dont think ppl 'just play warzones'' to farm conquest, without any thoughts on winning

3) PVP Companions brings some new players to PVP, but I believe this is only for completing a weekly. I don't think you get that much warzones with a PVE player that joins a warzone for a companion :p

--

I always quit becouse I don't care what'll happen with my losing team or people who join after I quit. I play only my fun, and other matters mean nothing to me :)

I understand, you play for your own fun, but is it fun when other leave your warzone? Is it fun when you join an in progress warzone? Is it fun to win a warzone because the opposing team left the warzone?

Leaving is a solution for your own problem, but it might be more frustrating for the losing group than you.

--

I prefer not to leave until one of two things happen. When 7 members of my team destroyed in mid in 6 vs 7.

P.S. I seen it at Alderaan (I got one at my turret, one more was at their turret and my team lost mid, because they all was dead!) and at Denova (same story).

When I see that my teammates can't even win 3 vs 1 against someone who I killed solo.

7 vs 6 might seem an easy quest on the first view, but you don't know which 7 players fight against 6 players. It depends on gear, experience, premades and mostly on class.

People not winning 3 v 1 where you solo'd him? I guess this is literally impossible, you are just making something up to make it look worse. There is no single class who can't be defeated by three classes at the same time. Even sages can be taken down by 3 bad speccs, noobs or not. If you can solo him, maybe he used all of his def cds on someone else wanted a qt :p. When they can't 2 v 1, maybe its an overpowerd class or a good player.

--

As for me, I never leave warzones, even if I'm on the horrendously losing side. The only exception is when I have to actually leave my computer for other stuff but I usually say sorry to my team for leaving.

I usually play Tank or DPS. If you guys want to play with me, I'm on the Red Eclipse server, usually on my Guardian (Casval Rem Deikun) or my Assassin (Artesia Som Deikun).

What grinds my gear though, is when people don't want to partake in the logical solution. But then I remember that I'm on an Unranked game, so I need to chill out more xD

I completely agree with you. The last time I leaved warzone was maybe one year ago when I saw a hacker on our team. I know, hackers are an easy win, but it's not the way I like the win. That's also the reason I dont play sorcerer or sage :rolleyes:

--

Again, thanks for posting your answers! Remember, I'm not saying leaving makes you a bad person, but it's not the best decision you can take in my opinion.

I never leave unless my team isn't playing the game. For example, I call incoming and no one comes because they want to death match. If they have good reasons (eg they are about to take another control point) I stay. But basically if the team isn't trying I see no need to waste my time.

I agree some people don't like being helped, I will never understand those :p

However, there's someting about your last sentence.

You're not paying sub for their enjoyment. So you say, that when the match is going terrible, leaving is a good sollution? If everone would leave the warzone, this would cause warzones just stopping after seeing the other team has a premade. You get my point? I understand it might be frustrating but you need to get used to losing when you enter a que. Not every warzone will turn out great, but that's the concequence of queing :o

--

No, thats not what i mean. 90% of the time i ever leave is at the begining before tha match starts or as soon as a recognize whats going on. It isnt about the match "going bad".

I do not leave due to losing, i leave due to imbalance. BIG difference. I can take losing, its a game... what i wont do is walk into a meat grinder and pretend to enjoy it.

To counter your view though i would say this, I've never left a fair or balanced match, even in an arena which i skip 90% of these days unless the team comps are similar. All ive ever asked for is a balanced fight, give me that and ill never ever leave win or lose.

It isnt about winning/losing, its about having a fair chance.

Edited by Floplag

Fantastic troll thread. I love the superiority mixed with backdoor insults. A very classic in terms of content and delivery with just enough new material to not appear like a 3 year old topic.

The feature leave warzones is an excellent mechanic that ensures you can simply exit and try again with a better mix of random competitors. I use it on occassion and this is usually about 3-5 times in any given pvp session. This typically happens in most obvious of circumstances. I get placed as backfill into a terrible match. I get a 4v4 with a terrible composition. Or the more rare instance of being farmed.

The days of 8 man sync'd teams is pretty well over. However, once in a great while you run into the farm team. Perfect balance.

However, I just wanted to again thank you for this troll thread. The responses are nicely filled with passion and rage.

Why do I leave?

1) Because there is a cheater inside the war zone (in our team or in the opposite one). I don't see the point to play with or against this kind of player.

2) Because there is a premade who is not playing the war zone but they are there just to farm (once again, I leave even if I am with them). I don't hate premade, I just don't like the attitude of certains groups who stop to play the objectives just to farm (by example , they score 5 goals in huttball in 2 minutes and they never score the last one).

3) Because there is/are people who want me to play the war zone like they want to and if I don't, I'm just getting insulted.

4) Because I'm facing the same composition again and again and again (full of sage/sorcerer , gardian/jugg, watchmen/marauder, vanguard/powertech), worse if you encounter the same people for 4-5 war zones in a row.

5) Because it's Odessen war zone.

when I'm solo/pug, I leave whenever I want for whatever reason I want.

when I'm in a grp, I'll stay unless they're burned out and want to leave. the only exception to that is queshball. sometimes I'll announce ahead of time that I'm not playing that if it pops. I need to be in an especially good mood to tolerate that sh^tshow. or have a properly composed team.

7 vs 6 might seem an easy quest on the first view, but you don't know which 7 players fight against 6 players. It depends on gear, experience, premades and mostly on class.

People not winning 3 v 1 where you solo'd him? I guess this is literally impossible, you are just making something up to make it look worse. There is no single class who can't be defeated by three classes at the same time. Even sages can be taken down by 3 bad speccs, noobs or not. If you can solo him, maybe he used all of his def cds on someone else wanted a qt :p. When they can't 2 v 1, maybe its an overpowerd class or a good player.

7 vs 6 can be indeed hard to win. 3-4 player can just die because of focus. But not ALL 7 in roughly 1 min. And non of them come to continue trying not allow to capture. They ALL come to me to help defeat one Assassin that had 10% HP at the moment when first of them entered to combat.

Say it to operative! One operative can hold 6 people and don't allow them to capture turret. And can actually kill 3 people even when he alone. You don't believe me ofc. When I seen that I was so shocked (because I killed him when he come to capture my turret) that I facepalmed and just pressed "Exit warzone".

Edited by LosevV

Why do I leave?

1) Because there is a cheater inside the war zone (in our team or in the opposite one). I don't see the point to play with or against this kind of player.

2) Because there is a premade who is not playing the war zone but they are there just to farm (once again, I leave even if I am with them). I don't hate premade, I just don't like the attitude of certains groups who stop to play the objectives just to farm (by example , they score 5 goals in huttball in 2 minutes and they never score the last one).

3) Because there is/are people who want me to play the war zone like they want to and if I don't, I'm just getting insulted.

4) Because I'm facing the same composition again and again and again (full of sage/sorcerer , gardian/jugg, watchmen/marauder, vanguard/powertech), worse if you encounter the same people for 4-5 war zones in a row.

5) Because it's Odessen war zone.

1) You lack skill. They aren't cheating. They just know more than you about the game.

2) I agree with the farming part, it's a waste of time for everyone. I don't even see the fun in doing the farming when you are just proving that your premade w/ voice coms is better than a group of random players.

3) Certain warzones have specific strategies that work. If you don't want to work as a team, I'd prefer you didn't queue at all.

4) You named pretty much every class. Every group is going to have those in them. You are obviously confused.

5) Quitters never win. Again, I'd prefer you didn't queue at all.

If you think about a warzone as a sports event...

Imagine if members of the team walked off the field. There would be consequences.

I agree that the option to leave should be there, because you may have something come up and you have to leave. I also believe there should be consequences for people who repeatedly leave warzones and create a problem for the general playerbase.

Imagine if members of the team walked off the field. There would be consequences.

I agree that the option to leave should be there, because you may have something come up and you have to leave. I also believe there should be consequences for people who repeatedly leave warzones and create a problem for the general playerbase.

Well the ideal consequence is that they would be /ignored by all the people who hate leavers. After all if you leave my hockey game because the other team scored first then next sunday we won't invite you to play with us. The reason this doesn't work in swtor is because a) ignore lists aren't long enough and most people use theirs on gold spammers and b) even when you ignore someone you find they are still in the next wz with you anyway. So the system is broken.

difference, athletes get paid to play, i am paying to play

I leave because I'm not having fun. I'm in this game to have fun. If I'm not having fun, I won't play. And since I'm paying my sub and no one else is paying for me, I will continue to do as I see fit when it comes to my personal enjoyment of the game. When I join team play, I try to be a team player. If my team isn't, I won't stay. If the other team is just there to ROFL-stomp, I will not help them stroke their *****.

Well the ideal consequence is that they would be /ignored by all the people who hate leavers. After all if you leave my hockey game because the other team scored first then next sunday we won't invite you to play with us. The reason this doesn't work in swtor is because a) ignore lists aren't long enough and most people use theirs on gold spammers and b) even when you ignore someone you find they are still in the next wz with you anyway. So the system is broken.

whoa. you accepted his analogy way too easily. team sports have rules and enforcement and coaches and leagues based on skill/age and...well...they are teams. reg WZs have literally none of these things. even when you run full 4m premade (unless you land an arena), you're not a team. you're a grp of randomly assembled pixel people.

Edited by foxmob

whoa. you accepted his analogy way too easily. team sports have rules and enforcement and coaches and leagues based on skill/age and...well...they are teams. reg WZs have literally none of these things. even when you run full 4m premade (unless you land an arena), you're not a team. you're a grp of randomly assembled pixel people.

I like his analogy because its a good one in this context. If everyone who hates leavers and feels beholden to stay in games they are not enjoying out of a sense of duty to strangers over the internet had on /ignore all those of us who refuse to spend our limited me time by having a bad time over the internet and further if the /ignore system worked properly then we would essentially have 2 different wz queues. One in which if you leave games with any frequency you will find yourself playing with people who felt similarly about it.

This would mean we wouldn't have to read more of these threads on the forum, from people who don't seem to get the game isn't a job its a fun recreational activity. Hmmn that last sentence seems overly hostile. I'm not trying to get personnal. Anyway yeah I know lengthing queue times, declining population etc etc. thats why we can't have matchmaking or a working ignore system.

you can't blacklist players for the same reason there's no matchmaking. BW values number of pops over everything else. besides, something like that would be abused to high heaven. regarding your ignore list, I used to use that for spammers to. it doesn't work. report them. save the ignore list for actual players. works much better.

I never bothered ignoring or reporting gold spammers. They are throw away account/hacked accounts anyway. My ignore list is for people who ask me to kill myself or give graphic descriptions of what they would like to do to me irl becuase I killed their pixels in a video game. And yes I know, queue times are greater then everything for bioware.

1)

5) Quitters never win. Again, I'd prefer you didn't queue at all.

If he doesn't start the warzone, it isn't quitting. Your preference, or my preference, or Eric Musco's preference, or God's preference, are all irrelevant. Likewise, if someone MUST drop (real-life crisis, etc), then that's the way it is - we all have to suck it up and move on.

If someone zones into the warzone and then immediately drops, I can shrug it off. Some people just don't like Huttball, or Hypergates, or whatever. I can respect that. For me, it's Odessen and 4x4 arena matches. I refuse to play them, and I will drop immediately. If someone doesn't like that, it's unfortunate - for them. I won't lose any sleep over what someone else does or doesn't like in my warzone preferences.

Having said that, if I start a warzone (i.e. don't immediately drop), I will finish it. Even if we're getting slaughtered, facing two coordinated 4-man teams, and my teammates can't digest the meaning of "if you cap the pylon, stay with the pylon" (or similar courses of required action in the various zones), I will stay. By remaining past the point where the starting barrier drops, I've committed myself to seeing it through. Yes, that may sound corny or infantile to some, but it's how I see it.

Different strokes for different folks.

People don't do dumb things on purpose, you might think they do because its so obvious for your experience of pvp.

I tend to agree to this.

Some PvP players are simply TOO GOOD.

SO GOOD, in fact, that they are the poor victims of the Curse Of Knowledge.

Or, to quote myself from another thread :

"Why, if ther is no-one in his own leage, is he playing there, then ?"

Or, to put it into other words : If a player is too goodd for Newbies, why is he playing against them, then ? ( And get into rage mode because they "do stupid things on purpose", which they can't, because they simply just don't have the sheer knowledge of any very good player. )

People not winning 3 v 1 where you solo'd him?

This is merely just another form of the "Curse Of Knowledge" I linked above.

The last time I leaved warzone

Interesting, how new verbs come to be ... Or new forms of them ... Last time I learned English, "left" was the correct form ...

Edited by AlrikFassbauer