Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ask Elrathion

Plowmore
04.22.2012 , 10:35 PM | #271
Hey Elrathion,
I was wondering what spec you've been running in premades these days. I've been playing an aggressive 3/7/31(3 in clamoring force) and can reliably burst for around 8.5k (FiB, Project and Mind Crush) with stalker 4peice force potency and power adrenal/relic, not including dot damage (I'm in full bm +augmented WH chest/boots). I tend not to mind force management issues because between all my passive self healing and the rakata medpac I feel comfortable using noble sacrifice in a pinch. Have you noticed a hybrid or tele spec that can put out heavy burst while maintaining decent sustained damage and cc? I played full tele for a while, but I essentially felt like I was playing a hybrid healer/dps who was heavily cooldown dependent to excel at either, and while disturbance isn't terrible, it's simply not as good. Not to mention I really felt the loss of instant lift in skirmishes.

Secondly, I was wondering about your take on professions. I was considering going cybertech for extra aoe cc effects, but it's hard for me to justify the loss of my adrenal/medpac/stim. Yes I know I can get persisting blue stims and warzone medpacs, but since it's a bit of a hassle to switch my professions back and forth I'm trying to decide if it's worth it. Thanks for this thread btw, it's the most productive one I've seen on the forums.

Elrathion
04.25.2012 , 04:45 AM | #272
Quote: Originally Posted by RTCBrad View Post
Hey Elrathion, I recently turned 50 currently running http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#60...MZcMfRsMkrfz.1 not sure if I would be better off with a hybrid spec of some kind?

Also not sure which gear to go for, I was thinking 2 parts force mystic for the shield lockout bonus and 3 parts force master. What would be your take on that?
Firstoff, I don't think it's optimal under any spec to not run at least with -0.5s cast time on deliverance. If you wanna die, go right ahead, but I don't ;> If you wanna keep balance then please either take 2 points away from crit into the heal reduction OR go 5-5-31.

Secondly, I personally enjoy hybrid alot cse of my playstyle. I like to be on the move, swap between healing and dps'ing, exercising maximum control with minimum downtime. As soon as you go any full spec you need to comprimise. Full balance means downtime (resting for mana) and less CC.

I know you can play conservative with your mana, but your dps will feel it too then Hybrid eliminates the need for mana conservation, and adds the motherload of cc/interrupt ability, while sacrifising a bit overall damage.

I would say look at your playstyle and make your final decission.

As for the gear, the gear selection you propose is a typical choice of most sages. However, personally I prefer to get force potency stalker set bonus. It's just an ability that i use almost every cooldown, and that extra heal crit can save a life, or that extra damage crit can finish someone before he finishes you ;> You could say the same about the -3s on lockout on barrier, BUT in my personal experience I love the force potency way more.

Elrathion
04.25.2012 , 04:52 AM | #273
Quote: Originally Posted by Plowmore View Post
Hey Elrathion,
I was wondering what spec you've been running in premades these days. I've been playing an aggressive 3/7/31(3 in clamoring force) and can reliably burst for around 8.5k (FiB, Project and Mind Crush) with stalker 4peice force potency and power adrenal/relic, not including dot damage (I'm in full bm +augmented WH chest/boots). I tend not to mind force management issues because between all my passive self healing and the rakata medpac I feel comfortable using noble sacrifice in a pinch. Have you noticed a hybrid or tele spec that can put out heavy burst while maintaining decent sustained damage and cc? I played full tele for a while, but I essentially felt like I was playing a hybrid healer/dps who was heavily cooldown dependent to excel at either, and while disturbance isn't terrible, it's simply not as good. Not to mention I really felt the loss of instant lift in skirmishes.

Secondly, I was wondering about your take on professions. I was considering going cybertech for extra aoe cc effects, but it's hard for me to justify the loss of my adrenal/medpac/stim. Yes I know I can get persisting blue stims and warzone medpacs, but since it's a bit of a hassle to switch my professions back and forth I'm trying to decide if it's worth it. Thanks for this thread btw, it's the most productive one I've seen on the forums.
Hey, atm I just dinged my operative 50, so I'm trying to get him some gear

I'm running 0-20-21 ;> I know it's completely against my principles of not having the deliverance reduction, but atm I feel I survive enough without it ^^

Full Tele I would only run in the heal variant [8-33], I didn't like the full dps variant because I felt too few survivability.

As far as professions go, I'm a biochem man. You can buy the grenades from the auction house and use them [GTN], Allthough I have to say i'm tempted to switch so I can craft my own augment gear. Lets be honest the pvp potions are WAAAY beter then the rakata stim, and now that it's cd is 1.5 min, it's only use which is left is that it's free. But once you got your own warhero gear, the only point is the stim. And if you can buy the stims, then what use biochem serves? :S [I'm running my mind here, I haven't decided a 100% yet]

Elrathion
04.25.2012 , 04:59 AM | #274
Quote: Originally Posted by PacificaSolaria View Post
Salutations,

Do you know the caps or when diminishing returns start to happen for Crit/Surge and Force/Force Power.

I'm a seer spec with currently:
Bonus Healing - [PVP] 486.5 - [PVE] 518.3
Crit Chance - [PVP] 36.85% - [PVE] 37.06%
Crit Multiplier - [PVP] 56.67% - [PVE] 62.9%
--------
Power - [PVP] 288 - [PVE] 303
Force Power - [PVP] 1161 - [PVE] 1161
Crit Rating - [PVP] 359 - [PVE] 329
Surge Rating -[PVP] 34 - [PVE] 82

Basically I'm finally upgrading the crystal in my saber and I'm wonder if i should go for the +41 critical rating or the +41 power crystal.
Go for the +41 expertise crystal ;> Second choice power.

There is no DR for power.

Willpower/Power > Surge > Crit > Alacrity is the base priority

Crit has a fairly high base amount to get another 1% bonus (22.5) and the cap threshold at 30%

For surge, I would quit anywhere between 72-75%. Stacking higher is not wise.

Basic gist

Get your surge to 75 --> fill with power/alacrity or crit/alacrity.

RTCBrad
04.25.2012 , 07:48 AM | #275
Quote: Originally Posted by Elrathion View Post
Firstoff, I don't think it's optimal under any spec to not run at least with -0.5s cast time on deliverance. If you wanna die, go right ahead, but I don't ;> If you wanna keep balance then please either take 2 points away from crit into the heal reduction OR go 5-5-31.

Secondly, I personally enjoy hybrid alot cse of my playstyle. I like to be on the move, swap between healing and dps'ing, exercising maximum control with minimum downtime. As soon as you go any full spec you need to comprimise. Full balance means downtime (resting for mana) and less CC.

I know you can play conservative with your mana, but your dps will feel it too then Hybrid eliminates the need for mana conservation, and adds the motherload of cc/interrupt ability, while sacrifising a bit overall damage.

I would say look at your playstyle and make your final decission.

As for the gear, the gear selection you propose is a typical choice of most sages. However, personally I prefer to get force potency stalker set bonus. It's just an ability that i use almost every cooldown, and that extra heal crit can save a life, or that extra damage crit can finish someone before he finishes you ;> You could say the same about the -3s on lockout on barrier, BUT in my personal experience I love the force potency way more.
Which hybrid spec would you say is better? I'm assuming tele/seer because that seems to have the most control plus the 5 second root on force wave looks pretty good.

Thanks for the info btw .

eventidephoenix
04.25.2012 , 10:27 AM | #276
Hey again Elrathion,

I just wanna ask, what is the optimum secondary specs you go for?

I have a guildie who swears by stacking crit/surge

Then another guide somewhere in the forums say there are DR to those and I shouldn't, instead go for power/surge

So I'm really confused... Currently I'm running

Endurance 1478
Willpower 1647
Surge 312
Crit 322
alacrity 204 (which I'm intending to swap out, so before this happens, since it cost a lot, I wanna know ur opinion )

Lord_Appollyon
04.25.2012 , 11:48 AM | #277
Greetings Elrathion,

I would like to pick your brain concerning the best rotation for my iteration of the 2-23-16 build: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#60...kRdhZcMcRs0z.1. I understand some may disagree about the point allocation specifics, but to each his own I suppose.

As an avid dueler myself, this build is giving me problems in actually getting a rotation down. The main reasoning behind it is not duels but applying relatively consistent AoE pressure in WZs... but I still love to duel. My problem with the rotation stems from when to actually actively cast disturbance. I think the opener is pretty standard:

(This is under the assumption that I will have my enemy permaslowed, use project on the move, reapply my DoTs consistently and have my knockbacks and stuns timed well depending on the enemy. I know there is not an ABSOLUTLEY fail safe rotation and it will change per class and I'm a fairly consistent about doing the above in most duels.)

1. Project/FiB combo opener
2. Weaken Mind
3. TK Throw for PoM proc
4. First PoM proc use Mind Crush

However, after this it gets complicated. Do I TK Throw for PoM again? This is the part where I'm uncertain, getting another PoM proc would grant an instant Disturbance thus garnering better damage from the TK throw over Disturb and then potentially getting a double-proc with disturb or getting Tidal Force. If the TK throw is interrupted (which is of course likely) I usually transition into casting disturbance. However, do I then cast Disturbance until Tidal Force procs or just hope that it procs off the hot switch when TK throw was interrupted? This is the crux of my issue and have suffered for my indecisiveness in duels. Any insight you can offer is appreciated.
Satis eloquentiae, sapientiae parum.

Shadenuat
04.25.2012 , 09:38 PM | #278
Quote:
I'm running 0-20-21 ;> I
Can you elaborate using torhead skill calculator please? Is it something close to this: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#60...dRroZcMdRsMz.1 ?

Sxibii
07.01.2012 , 05:36 PM | #279
Hello,

I am new to the game and in PVP. I have followed this thread for quite some time i would like to know your thoughts on Elrathion's 2-21-18 utility build. Is it viable with the new 1.3 patch. Can anyone share it again pls?