Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

[GUIDE] Awesome pve/pvp dps spec guide for 1.2!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
[GUIDE] Awesome pve/pvp dps spec guide for 1.2!

Garricus's Avatar


Garricus
01.07.2012 , 06:43 PM | #21
A good thing to get in the habit of doing, is when you Death Field + Deathmark, throw instant crushing darkness, then affliction, use Electrocute on them right away if they have no resolve. If their CC breaker is down, they are going to sit there taking that damage. I've finished off a few people at half health that way.
www.tor-junkies.com/ Rated Warzones Forum

Canarith's Avatar


Canarith
01.07.2012 , 08:31 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by spellegren View Post
This is a pretty standard build that has been around since beta, it works fantastically in both pve and pvp. I suppose it was only a matter of time before someone put it in a "[GUIDE]", I'm sure it will be helpful to those looking for pvp guidance.

On to the build that you linked though, you have Sith Defiance at 1/2 and Chain Shock at 2/3, I'd move that point out of Defiance and into Chain Shock. 1% damage reduction is 10 points reduced for every 1000 damage, which is completely meaningless. Not that Chain Shock is the be-all-end-all mind you, but you get the idea.

EDIT: I'd also have Lightning Barrier 2/2 instead of 1/2, no idea why you would pass up 10% absorb on your shield. Take the point from Lightning Spire, 5 extra meters on exactly 1 spell in your rotation is nowhere near as valuable as the extra shield absorb.

Also Reserves > Electric Induction and that should just be common sense mathematics.

Here's how I run the 0/13/28 build: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201ZdcMMdZcrcRsMkrc.

The point in Electric Induction can be moved to Lightning Spire if you prefer, that's really just personal preference. It's a bit more streamlined and all around useful, I'd suggest changing the build in the OP.
Where or when do you have time to cast shock in a madness rotation. Normally the way the rotation works, on elites you start with death field and then go to affliction followed by 3x force lightnings, throwing in Crushing Darkness with your first Wrath proc and Chain Lightning when Crushing Darkness is on cd and it procs.

I ask this because I have seemed to be struggling with the overall dps of this build. I have used this build since I hit 50, in several hard modes as well as on many heroic missions. The inability to have a parse and see what kind of damage you are doing can make it hard to tell, but I get the idea my damage is a bit below par. Anyone have any thoughts or is it simply a matter of fine tuning the rotation.

Garricus's Avatar


Garricus
01.07.2012 , 09:43 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Canarith View Post
Where or when do you have time to cast shock in a madness rotation. Normally the way the rotation works, on elites you start with death field and then go to affliction followed by 3x force lightnings, throwing in Crushing Darkness with your first Wrath proc and Chain Lightning when Crushing Darkness is on cd and it procs.

I ask this because I have seemed to be struggling with the overall dps of this build. I have used this build since I hit 50, in several hard modes as well as on many heroic missions. The inability to have a parse and see what kind of damage you are doing can make it hard to tell, but I get the idea my damage is a bit below par. Anyone have any thoughts or is it simply a matter of fine tuning the rotation.
Hi Canarith,

I can answer this question for you. It is a matter of fine tuning the rotation, but you are correct, I only use shock to finish people off. My chain shock is 3/3, I made an error on my initial guide while the server was down, I went off memory and made mistake. So for me, for pvp only I use shock to finish someone off. For pve I don't touch shock.

Force Lightning is your main dps skill in pve, along with your dots and instant chain lightning. A good way that I have found to test my damage against others, is the 4th boss in Eternity Vault, the one where each member has to solo their own boss.

Last night, we had myself, a very geared and skilled operative, geared marauder, and a geared lightning spec sorc, fight the Marauder bosses with 78k hp. I finished first, following 12 seconds after me was the operative, then the marauder, then 30seconds later the lightning spec sorc. Since we don't have damage meters, that is how I gauged the damage by. Hope this helps, its a great build.
www.tor-junkies.com/ Rated Warzones Forum

Canarith's Avatar


Canarith
01.07.2012 , 10:49 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Garricus View Post
Hi Canarith,

I can answer this question for you. It is a matter of fine tuning the rotation, but you are correct, I only use shock to finish people off. My chain shock is 3/3, I made an error on my initial guide while the server was down, I went off memory and made mistake. So for me, for pvp only I use shock to finish someone off. For pve I don't touch shock.

Force Lightning is your main dps skill in pve, along with your dots and instant chain lightning. A good way that I have found to test my damage against others, is the 4th boss in Eternity Vault, the one where each member has to solo their own boss.

Last night, we had myself, a very geared and skilled operative, geared marauder, and a geared lightning spec sorc, fight the Marauder bosses with 78k hp. I finished first, following 12 seconds after me was the operative, then the marauder, then 30seconds later the lightning spec sorc. Since we don't have damage meters, that is how I gauged the damage by. Hope this helps, its a great build.
Yah, that fight is exactly what I was basing my assertion that my damage seems to be a bit low. While I have no truouble getting the marauder down in time, i seem to lag behind other people in the raid.

Garricus's Avatar


Garricus
01.08.2012 , 01:04 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Canarith View Post
Yah, that fight is exactly what I was basing my assertion that my damage seems to be a bit low. While I have no truouble getting the marauder down in time, i seem to lag behind other people in the raid.
Could be a gear issue, but if you follow the rotation I posted, you should do pretty well.
www.tor-junkies.com/ Rated Warzones Forum

Fafurian's Avatar


Fafurian
01.08.2012 , 01:36 AM | #26
I have force issues using this spec, if I blast chain lightning with Wrath procs (when darkness and field are down) I start to go low on force 2-3 mins into the fight, I stopped using it and I stay hovering around 70-100..im thinking maybe I could sacrifice something to get the 100 extra force for the regen off Force Lightning (1 extra force per tick)

What do you think?

Pocketakuma's Avatar


Pocketakuma
01.08.2012 , 01:39 AM | #27
I'd love to know what pieces of gear and stats you gear towards and compare. Which force-masters, which force-mystics if any. What's your stat priority.

Eria's Avatar


Eria
01.08.2012 , 01:41 AM | #28
Tried this spec out today and had a lot of fun with it in both pvp and pve. What stats do you mostly focus on with this build? Also, any suggestions for what companion to roll with when soloing?
01100101 01110010 01101001 01100001

Garricus's Avatar


Garricus
01.08.2012 , 03:40 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Fafurian View Post
I have force issues using this spec, if I blast chain lightning with Wrath procs (when darkness and field are down) I start to go low on force 2-3 mins into the fight, I stopped using it and I stay hovering around 70-100..im thinking maybe I could sacrifice something to get the 100 extra force for the regen off Force Lightning (1 extra force per tick)

What do you think?
That's odd, I also use chain lightning on wrath procs. Death field doesn't use up Wrath, only Chain Lightnint and Crushing Darkness. If you follow my rotation, you should be hovering around 70% force on long boss fights or even in PVP. In pvp I get low when I heal myself to get my 75k medal, but then I seethe.

Quote: Originally Posted by Pocketakuma View Post
I'd love to know what pieces of gear and stats you gear towards and compare. Which force-masters, which force-mystics if any. What's your stat priority.
For pvp I have full champion force-masters and force-mystics gear. I wear whatever piece has the most willpower on it, while keeping my 2 piece bonus from both sets. Fully buffed I have 16.3k hp and 1563 Willpower.

For pve I have a mixed set of full columi/rakata Mystic set which I use as DPS as well. 16.9k hp and 1890 Willpower.

Screenshots are on first page of stats.

Quote: Originally Posted by Eria View Post
Tried this spec out today and had a lot of fun with it in both pvp and pve. What stats do you mostly focus on with this build? Also, any suggestions for what companion to roll with when soloing?
I focus on Willpower and power. If there was any sort of combat log or damage meters, id test the difference betwen power or crit/surge.
www.tor-junkies.com/ Rated Warzones Forum

Fafurian's Avatar


Fafurian
01.08.2012 , 04:15 AM | #30
I'm going heavy Crit and Surge, right now I have 82% crit damage and 34% crit, I gotta say I love the build, my force lightning crits are almost 1k and I notice a huge difference in hardmodes compared to when I was full Lightning. The channel alone helps a ton for interrupting with Jolt, hitting it while channeling interrupts the cast whereas Lightning Strike you have to hit esc or jump first to interrupt.

Kudos.