LS Inquisitor and ghosts, the story makes no sense [spoilers]

Trollokdamus

What i mean is, when you face Thanaton the second time, the Sith ghosts you've collected over the course of the story rebel and try to drive you insane. If you are DS, it's understandable since you've made them serve you against their will, however, as LS you've made a pact with the ghosts and they cooperate with you willingly.

To me, this is the most immersion breaking flaw i've ever encountered in class stories so far.

Thing is, they didn't agree to help me out of good will. We've made a bargain - they do something benefical for me, i do something benefical for them.

Darth Andru - he lends me his power, i release him from his tomb.

Kalatosh Zavros - he lends me his power, i release him from the Jedi enclave filled with artifacts of the light.

Horak-Mul - he lends me his power, i become an instrument of his revenge and provide him with a "change of scenery".

So, if the ghosts want me to keep my end of the deal, they need me alive and well. Betraying me and trying to drive me insane doesn't really help to achieve that.

Edited by Trollokdamus

What i mean is, when you face Thanaton the second time, the Sith ghosts you've collected over the course of the story rebel and try to drive you insane. If you are DS, it's understandable since you've made them serve you against their will, however, as LS you've made a pact with the ghosts and they cooperate with you willingly.

To me, this is the most immersion breaking flaw i've ever encountered in class stories so far.

The LS choices mean they are willingly bound, but it doesn't mean they willingly serve, either way trhey are going to fight you and try to take control, because they are EVIL.

I couldn't remember exactly what the ghosts did, so I watched the ending in youtube. I'm not sure what changes in the end scene depending on your choices (if anything), but from what I saw, I think it's possible that the ghosts thought you betrayed them. They lent you their power, but you couldn't handle it, and now you were dying, without fulfilling your end of the deal. Even if you dying would set Darth Andru and Kalatosh Zavros free from the tomb/jedi enclave, then they actually had no reason not to rebel you. And Horak-Mul - well, if you ran straight from Hoth to your class quest, there wasn't much scenery to enjoy or revenge to get.

This is, of course, assuming that the ghosts didn't know you'd survive. If they did, then I have no explanation and assume that they were just crazed psycos who made the deal with you only to betray you the first chance they get because they think that's fun.

Well think about it this way; they've been in their tombs for centuries and haven't found peace. Like the ghosts in the Dark Temple, they have no way to be one with the force and are essentially stuck in their tombs for all eternity. They help you willingly because they're desperate to get out of their prison (depending on the ghost, they don't care whether you live or die, they just want to get out for a while).

Then, because you're light-sided and powerful in the force, you begin to influence them and change their perspective. At the end, you have the option to "use my light" to redeem them. It's a bit like the Keleth-Ur quest in the Dark Temple. The ancient Sith don't seem to know anything about the light side and fear it. The dark side hasn't really helped these ghosts (it's what they got them stuck in the first place), so it kinda makes sense that light side was the right choice all along if you want to find peace.

But even if you tell them to leave at the end (without redeeming them), two of the ghosts will refuse to go back to their tombs and continue to help you.

Anyway, the story makes sense if you RP it properly and think it out. At least to a certain extent... it's not like being fully dark side really makes sense either (you just end up being completely insane).

Edited by Blackholeskipper

To be fair, the ghosts are all still sith. Death is no reason to stop being a jerk to anybody you can.

Still, making no gosh darn sense is the name of the game if you're playing an inquisitor as light side.

I've played my Sorc all the way to Light 5. She doesn't believe in unneccesary killing, because it's not her style. Why waste potential future bonusses (killing engineers before they can discover useful tech stuff etc). And besides being raised as a slave showed her the other side of life too.

1) The ghosts are Sith

2) The ghosts are mad

Result = the ghosts are not necessarily logical and you can't expect them to honour any promise. Would you really take a Sith Lord at their word??

They have a chance to take over your mind and give themselves a second chance to rule the galaxy. It would be weirder if they didn't try to kill you. They'll work together to destroy you, then they would turn on each other.

tl;dr You are LS; they aren't.

The ghosts didn't rebel, it was too much power for you to handle and you overloaded, making you and them unstable, and the ritual was never meant for you to bind more than one at a time. It's all mixed up, they are likely going as insane as you. Even if it wasn't the case, they are all darkside sith ghosts, them betraying you at some point shouldn't be a surprise.

• 6 years later...

The impression I got wasn't that they betrayed the Inguisitor, but that their combined power was too much for them and the Inguisitor just couldn't handle it.

That moment the ghost seem to turn against you, I understood it that it was waay to much power to handle so early, so ghost and you where overloaded...thus making you go Mad.

On a Side Note: The LS Inquisitor: Darth Imperious is a VERY unique Sith. (Fan personal thoughts on this character and why I love this LS Inquisitor concept in SWTOR down below if interested if not I just wrapped up so your eyes dont get tired of reading my Nerd Fan love of this Legends character haha) :D

He always strike me as a Thrawn with the Force Mastery of Palatine; A commander who could lead through loyalty, promotes creativity among his crew and accepts ideas from subordinates, a tactical genius whose troops follow him willingly, and who will fight for him whether or not he's watching over their shoulders...a villain who leads not by coercion and fear but through valuing strategy and loyalty.

Extremely talented through a myriad of force techniques(and many of them forbidden), showed immense prowess as both an assassin and sorcerer, capable of shielding the mind and using the most dangerous Sith magic. Techniques included, but not limited to, Force Lightning, Telekinesis, Force Walking, Force Storm, and many others. Darth Imperious was also an incredibly skilled duellist, capable of using an ordinary lightsaber to a dual-bladed lightsaber.

More than just a skilled duelist and user of the Force, Darth Imperious had a mind capable of resisting the mental powers of Force Ghosts, the Dread Masters, and even Valkorion - The Immortal Emperor himself. Whilst not the greatest feat, but rather among it, would be the act of allowing the Force Ghosts he had previously chained to himself, to become one with the Force, an ability rare even among the greatest of Jedi.

His abilities were virtually dark side orientated, unlike many other Sith before and after the Dark Lord, Imperius never became corrupted by the Dark Side, capable of even using light side techniques at the same time.

I'm not sure if SWTOR/Lucas team realize what a rare jewel they have as they kept writing this character in game Light Side choices in the Darkside heart of the Sith Empire power. A good writer could go crazy with so much already laid bare just waiting to be told as a full blown saga. MAN I WISH THIS GUY WAS CANON! I'm such a huge fan of this Legends unique Sith Hero!

Edited by Zehal