Resource management for Advanced Prototype Powertech

SoonerJBD

I must be missing something with this spec because I am constantly overheating on longer fights even using vent heat and thermal sensor override on cooldown. Am I supposed to be throwing an occasional rapid shot in my rotation to lower heat generation or something? I’ve taken all the spec abilities for reducing heat generation. I’ve played every class, and this is the only spec I run into issues with on resource management.

Yes, all bounty hunter specs (merc and PT) have to use Rapid Shots occassionally. Usually free filler is needed if you are about to drop below 65-70% energy and have no energy management CDs available.

For AP you should replace Magnetic Blasts that don't proc Rail Shot, so for example (just an example, not an actual rotation part):

Magnetic Blast (procs PPA) -> Rail Shot -> Thermal Detonator -> Magnetic Blast -> Magnetic Blast (procs PPA)

This part for energy management would become:

Magnetic Blast (procs PPA) -> Rail Shot -> Thermal Detonator -> Rapid Shots -> Magnetic Blast (procs PPA, don't replace this one!)

It will take practice to not overheat and not overuse Rapid Shots. The best PT is the one that has the least Rapid Shots yet never overheats.

With Meteor Brawler set it is very hard to overheat, to be honest. Sounds like you don't have that yet? For example, in a 6million parse you shouldn't need more than 8-10 Rapid Shots/Grapples if you do everything right and have Meteor Brawler.

Edited by Equeliber

Yes, all bounty hunter specs (merc and PT) have to use Rapid Shots occassionally. Usually free filler is needed if you are about to drop below 65-70% energy and have no energy management CDs available.

For AP you should replace Magnetic Blasts that don't proc Rail Shot, so for example (just an example, not an actual rotation part):

Magnetic Blast (procs PPA) -> Rail Shot -> Thermal Detonator -> Magnetic Blast -> Magnetic Blast (procs PPA)

This part for energy management would become:

Magnetic Blast (procs PPA) -> Rail Shot -> Thermal Detonator -> Rapid Shots -> Magnetic Blast (procs PPA, don't replace this one!)

It will take practice to not overheat and not overuse Rapid Shots. The best PT is the one that has the least Rapid Shots yet never overheats.

With Meteor Brawler set it is very hard to overheat, to be honest. Sounds like you don't have that yet? For example, in a 6million parse you shouldn't need more than 8-10 Rapid Shots/Grapples if you do everything right and have Meteor Brawler.

I haven’t looked at set bonuses yet. I’m playing a bunch of different toons and currently collecting my set bonuses for each. To be honest, I’m losing interest in this class. I don’t have to use filler with any other DPS spec. I don’t even have to use my resource management cooldowns with other DPS classes.

I haven’t looked at set bonuses yet. I’m playing a bunch of different toons and currently collecting my set bonuses for each. To be honest, I’m losing interest in this class. I don’t have to use filler with any other DPS spec. I don’t even have to use my resource management cooldowns with other DPS classes.

Kepp in mind that Powertech outperform in damage any of these classes

Kepp in mind that Powertech outperform in damage any of these classes

I don’t care. I play the game to have fun. My Infiltration Shadow, Deception Assassin, Vigilance Guardian, Lightning Sorc, Fury Marauder, MM Sniper and Sharpshooter Gunslinger are all way more fun to play.

I don’t care. I play the game to have fun. My Infiltration Shadow, Deception Assassin, Vigilance Guardian, Lightning Sorc, Fury Marauder, MM Sniper and Sharpshooter Gunslinger are all way more fun to play.

Then play them lol. AP has no heat menagement issues what so ever. You can finish the dummy between 5-8 rapid shots max. Pyro is the most filler used spec in the game but with flame dispustion tactical it lowers the rapid shots to 5 again and also performs as good as superheated fuel tactical if not better atm on dummy.

Pt leaves for the damage. Its high risk high reward class. You need to live on edge with fight mechanics not play it safe. If you don't have this mindsst just swap to other classes.

• 2 weeks later...
Once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to kill the 6.5 million dummy with only 4 rapid shots and 2 grapples (and, tbh, I think 3 rapid shots and 3 grapples, or 3 rapid shots and 2 grapples, is certainly possible depending on your APM). Edited by Hoppinswtor