[Knight Companion] Sergeant Rusk has a Force ability but primary stat is Aim

SpacerSebben

Subject:

Sergeant Rusk's ability called Overdrive Beam is categorized as a Force ability and is therefore dependent on Willpower. However, his primary stat is Aim and therefore this ability is rendered inefficient and ineffective.

Repro steps to verify Overdrive Beam ability is listed as a Force power:

1. On a Jedi Knight (either Guardian or Sentinel works), bring out Sergeant Rusk.

2. On the Menu Bar, Select Abilities (P key by default)

3. Click on Companion tab.

4. Here you will see various abilities listed as Ranged or Tech abilities. You will see Overdrive Beam listed as a Force power.

Repro steps to verify Sergeant Rusk's primary stat is Aim:

1. On a Jedi Knight (either Guardian or Sentinel works), bring out Sergeant Rusk.

2. On the Menu Bar, Select Character Sheet (C key by default).

3. On the bottom of the Character Sheet window, select Companion.

4. Hover your mouse over the Aim stat for Sergeant Rusk and you will see that this is his primary stat because it provides bonuses to 6 different abilities including Ranged and Tech.

5. Hover your mouse over the Willpower stat for Sergeant Rusk and you will see that this is -not- his primary stat, but it is what determines the power of Overdrive Beam because it is categorized as a Force power.

Repro steps to verify Sergeant Rusk's Overdrive Beam does not gain bonuses from his Primary Stat, Aim.

1. With Sergeant Rusk as your active companion, start with having him equipped with no gear except a mainhand weapon of any stats.

2. When hovering your mouse over his abilities, note what the tooltip lists as the amount of damage range he will do with Overdrive Beam (categorized as Force) as well as the damage range for Burst (categorized as Ranged) and the damage range for Thermal Bomb (categorized as Tech).

3. Equip him with any piece of moddable gear (armor, implant, earpiece, weapon, is fine) that has Aim as the Primary stat. For simplicity's sake, boots with green quality Reflex Armoring 2 (has Aim) will suffice.

4. You should notice that the damage range of Burst and Thermal Bomb has increased as they are Ranged and Tech. However, there should be no change to Overdrive Beam.

5. Remove the boots and replace them with another pair of boots that has Resolve Armoring 2 (has Willpower).

6. You should notice that Burst and Thermal Bomb are no longer increased and instead, Overdrive Beam is.

Expected Result:

Overdrive Beam should be gaining bonuses from his Primary stat, Aim.

Actual Result:

Overdrive beam is not gaining bonuses from his Primary Stat, Aim.

Proposed Solution:

The solution should be to change Overdrive Beam from Force to Tech and it should then utilize Sergeant Rusk's Primary Stat of Aim.

Edited by SpacerSebben

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Update: I appreciate the support you fellow responders have given to this! I went to the SF Cantina Tour on 11/13/13 and personally talked to Eric Musco about this problem with Sergeant Rusk. He said this definitely sounds like a bug and would talk to the team about it. Hoping to hear from him or see any changes soon and will continue to stay on top of this.

Update: I appreciate the support you fellow responders have given to this! I went to the SF Cantina Tour on 11/13/13 and personally talked to Eric Musco about this problem with Sergeant Rusk. He said this definitely sounds like a bug and would talk to the team about it. Hoping to hear from him or see any changes soon and will continue to stay on top of this.

Not sure if needed at this point,

but here is what torhead says ( http://www.torhead.com/ability/4uqear9/overdrive-beam ):

Note spelltype FORCE.

Text

1 0 init SetType: BuffType=>Negative

1 0 init SetHidden: IsHidden=>1

1 0 init SetTickRate: Interval=>1000

1 0 init SetPassive: IsPassive=>1

1 1 action PlayAppearance: DependentOnCallingEffect=>1, AppearanceSpec=>epp.companion.unique.jedi_knight.sgt_rusk.overdrive_beam.tick

1 1 action SpellDamage: SpellType=>Force, StandardHealthPercentMin=>0.05, Slot=>None, Coefficient=>0.577, StandardHealthPercentMax=>0.07, DamageType=>Energy

1 2 action PlayAppearance: DependentOnCallingEffect=>1, AppearanceSpec=>epp.trooper.full_auto.exit

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I'll pass this along! Thanks!

-tw

I've been submitting in-game Bug Reports on this since launch and was the first thing I put in the Bug Report forum when it was opened. I know numerous other people have sent in reports and created threads on this. Thank you Tait for being the first staff member in that entire time to acknowledge this bug. :)

Also good job to the OP on a great report. :)

J

Edited by JarenWelen

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I always found it exceptionally odd how LOW the damage output was for that ability but never realized the issue behind it.

As if people needed yet another reason to ignore Rusk entirely.

EDIT:

And just noticed the thread below, where Yuun is plagued by a similar issue. :o

Edited by Darth_Wicked

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Yes, it's still bugged. I'm pretty sure it isn't hard to fix, but it's propably on the loooowwwwest end of their priority list. :(

they spend their time fixing 'bugs' that don't even need fixing yet they ignore critical issues like that, love their priorities

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...