More off the wall lightsaber styles please

Tenacity

I'm a big fan of the lightsaber pikes in particular, but we still only have two of them available (senya's lightsaber pike and the other rusty looking one), and neither are currently available for purchase from the cartel market. Definitely think we need to see more of those added.

Same goes for the vented lightsabers (like kylo ren's) - there's only two of them, and the one available on the cartel market right now is at a ridiculous price. Why arent variants of these available via gameplay?

Would like to see more shoto-style sabers as well, I like the idea of a dagger-style lightsaber and the shoto is the closest we can get right now.

The "exotic" lightsabers are rare and expensive because they are meant as a specialty thing. If BW suddenly came out witha cheap version, it would lose some of that special factor, and people who paid full price for the originals would cry foul. (speaking as someone who has none of them)

Having an gameplay way of getting them would be cool, but expect it to be pretty extreme.

As for shotos, we can't really get them any shorter, as they wouldn't work in cut scenes.

A Lightwhip as used by Lumiya is a favourite of mine and would love to see a version of it in swtor

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightwhip

“Lumiya studied in secret as Lord Vader's Shadow Hand, she also served as one of the Emperor's Hands—Force-trained assassins who answered to Palpatine himself. She embarked on a pilgrimage to the world of Ziost, during which she crafted her own lightwhip”

“One of the earliest known wielders of the lightwhip was the Sith Lady Githany, who was active approximately a millennium before the Battle of Yavin. According to the Sith Blademaster of the day, Kas'im, she wielded the weapon not out of any advantages it presented in combat, but to exploit its rarity and unfamiliarity with most duelists. Githany wielded the weapon up until her death in the final battle of Ruusan”

”During their mission to Ord Cestus during the Clone Wars, Obi-Wan Kenobi fabricated a lightwhip for use by both himself and Kit Fisto. This weapon was based on the one wielded by Ona Nobis, and first saw use during a mock duel between himself and Fisto, with Fisto masquerading as a member of Count Dooku's Dark Acolytes in order to fool the Cestus government into believing that the Separatists were interfering in their affairs. Towards the end of the same mission, Kenobi led the charge into the Cestus Cybernetics factory, wielding the lightwhip as a secondary weapon alongside his lightsaber”

As you can see there is precedence for this type of “lightsaber” in the extended Star Wars Universe. But there is also a Disney canon version of it too. Anakin Skywalker vs Count Dooku - Whip vs Lightsaber (The Clone Wars Season 4)

A Lightwhip as used by Lumiya is a favourite of mine and would love to see a version of it in swtor

I would love one too.. but I very much doubt we will get one.... because the animations would not work all that well with a whip. They would have to actually adjust the character animations to make it work.. which I very much doubt would happen.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightwhip

“Lumiya studied in secret as Lord Vader's Shadow Hand, she also served as one of the Emperor's Hands—Force-trained assassins who answered to Palpatine himself. She embarked on a pilgrimage to the world of Ziost, during which she crafted her own lightwhip”

“One of the earliest known wielders of the lightwhip was the Sith Lady Githany, who was active approximately a millennium before the Battle of Yavin. According to the Sith Blademaster of the day, Kas'im, she wielded the weapon not out of any advantages it presented in combat, but to exploit its rarity and unfamiliarity with most duelists. Githany wielded the weapon up until her death in the final battle of Ruusan”

”During their mission to Ord Cestus during the Clone Wars, Obi-Wan Kenobi fabricated a lightwhip for use by both himself and Kit Fisto. This weapon was based on the one wielded by Ona Nobis, and first saw use during a mock duel between himself and Fisto, with Fisto masquerading as a member of Count Dooku's Dark Acolytes in order to fool the Cestus government into believing that the Separatists were interfering in their affairs. Towards the end of the same mission, Kenobi led the charge into the Cestus Cybernetics factory, wielding the lightwhip as a secondary weapon alongside his lightsaber”

As you can see there is precedence for this type of “lightsaber” in the extended Star Wars Universe. But there is also a Disney canon version of it too. Anakin Skywalker vs Count Dooku - Whip vs Lightsaber (The Clone Wars Season 4)

Me too. I'd loved if they had built The Sith Sorcerer/Jedi Sage with a Lightwhip in mind, it would've been awesome but alas it wasn't the case.

Me too. I'd loved if they had built The Sith Sorcerer/Jedi Sage with a Lightwhip in mind, it would've been awesome but alas it wasn't the case.

I played a Reaver in DAoC a lot. It was my favorite class in that MMO.. both for it's use of a whip (Flex weapon with choice of crush or slash damage) as well as medium shield and class defining skills that leveraged the whip very well as well as dexterity stats such that the class had both great offensive capabilities as well as good defense too.

But yeah... they made the class from the ground up for Flex weapons. SWTOR would have to do some major rework of one or more classes to accommodate a whip style weapon in a manner that was not a joke.

I would love one too.. but I very much doubt we will get one.... because the animations would not work all that well with a whip. They would have to actually adjust the character animations to make it work.. which I very much doubt would happen.

Agreed.

If they were going to do it, I believe they might have been able to do around 3.0 or before.

When they had the funds and possibly an opening to add a new class to the game.

It’s extremely unlikely they would attempt this now, but it doesn’t hurt to hope :D

I have to wonder if a modification to Assassin/shadow saber animations would work. There is a lot of spinning and the weapons are long. The spins could look like a slash - curling - whirling affect before a hit.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I played a Reaver in DAoC a lot. It was my favorite class in that MMO.. both for it's use of a whip (Flex weapon with choice of crush or slash damage) as well as medium shield and class defining skills that leveraged the whip very well as well as dexterity stats such that the class had both great offensive capabilities as well as good defense too.

But yeah... they made the class from the ground up for Flex weapons. SWTOR would have to do some major rework of one or more classes to accommodate a whip style weapon in a manner that was not a joke.

Yeah it's just a pipe dream for me really, they'd have to complete re-work the Sage/Sorcerer to fit in that, not to mention rework the animations as lightsaber whips work very differently than the standard lightsaber.

Yeah it's just a pipe dream for me really, they'd have to complete re-work the Sage/Sorcerer to fit in that, not to mention rework the animations as lightsaber whips work very differently than the standard lightsaber.

Don't sorcerers and sages have only 1 lighsaber related ability though ?

If i'm not mistaken, then giving them the whip would only require to change 1 single ability for it to work with them.

Could be tricky fot the KOTFE/ET fighting cutscenes though but considering how ridiculous these cutscenes look with a saberstaff anyways...

I would just be tickled if the assassin/shadow could wield a single-blade lightsaber instead of the double-blade.

Agreed, I also hate that commandos HAVE to use an assault cannon now (really wish I could play a commando with a blaster rifle, the assault cannons look ridiculous especially on a female trooper. Same goes for bounty hunters, wish that either version could use a blaster rifle like boba fett instead of just pistols. Makes more sense for an operative to use a pistol as well instead of a rifle, since they're close range.

Really, they screwed the pooch when making weapon restrictions in this game, and for no good reason other than to "easily identify opponents" (just another way pvp ruins games).

As for the light whip, I think it's not only an issue of attack animations, but also deflect/reflect animations for incoming blaster fire. All around it's simply too complicated a weapon to have especially in an old game engine like swtor uses.

When I mentioned shoto sabers, I wasnt asking for shorter ones, just more variations of the shoto. I use two attenuated blademaster's shoto sabers on my female sentinel, and it kinda makes it look like she's fighting with daggers or shortswords, and I like that on a female character more than the long standard sabers. I just wish there were more hilt and blade styles available in that length. A vented shoto saber would be awesome, would look almost like a sai https://www.karatemart.com/images/products/large/chrome-octagon-sai.jpg

Additionally, I'd like to see a shoto saber added that has a second blade coming out of the bottom of the hilt. We have single bladed sabers that have this style already (a small vent on the back of the hilt, instead of the sides) - but I think if you had a shoto saber with a longer blade coming out of the back it'd make for an interesting weapon, something like a double bladed one-handed saber.

I would also like to see another form of pike-saber added with longer angle-vented additional blades, to look somewhat like a trident: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b1/Poseidon_sculpture_Copenhagen_2005_hand.jpg

Don't sorcerers and sages have only 1 lighsaber related ability though ?

If i'm not mistaken, then giving them the whip would only require to change 1 single ability for it to work with them.

Could be tricky fot the KOTFE/ET fighting cutscenes though but considering how ridiculous these cutscenes look with a saberstaff anyways...

Yeah but unless they restrict it to Sith Sorceres/Jedi Sages the animations would have to be reworked for Sith Marauders/Jedi Sentinels and Sith Juggernauts/Jedi Guardians. As it is right now any single-hilt lightsaber may be wielded by any force sensitive class and considering the Sith Warrior/Jedi Knight advanced classes also wield them and their combat abilities use lightsabers often the animations would have to be reworked for a lightsaber whip.

Yeah but unless they restrict it to Sith Sorceres/Jedi Sages the animations would have to be reworked for Sith Marauders/Jedi Sentinels and Sith Juggernauts/Jedi Guardians. As it is right now any single-hilt lightsaber may be wielded by any force sensitive class and considering the Sith Warrior/Jedi Knight advanced classes also wield them and their combat abilities use lightsabers often the animations would have to be reworked for a lightsaber whip.

Yeah... the most likely way we would ever see a light-whip would be if they actually introduced a new class that was built specifically for it. Given we are almost 7 years in on this MMO now.. and no new classes have been released, or even teased about, I doubt this will ever happen.

Yeah... the most likely way we would ever see a light-whip would be if they actually introduced a new class that was built specifically for it. Given we are almost 7 years in on this MMO now.. and no new classes have been released, or even teased about, I doubt this will ever happen.

Indeed. I personally never thought there would be new classes, you'd have to do a new class story and tie that in to the content that already exists, not to mention rework the planets to fit the class story's area, then get a crew of 5 new companions... ETC. Point being I never thought new classes would be added due to all the work that would require of it to implement into the game.

The only way we could get a new "class" is if it were purely cosmetic. No special story or anything, probably not even any new cut scenes, just something for people to spend CC on and suspend disbelief while leveling.

Even that is highly unlikely though.

I would just be tickled if the assassin/shadow could wield a single-blade lightsaber instead of the double-blade.

How about being able to turn off one end of the double Sabre like Dart Maul could, which creates a different stance, maybe it becomes a skank stance ;)

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I think it makes sense to have it restricted to just Sins and shadows.

Agreed +1

Sadly, the window for an new classes has probably passed us by. Id take 100:1 odds it will never happen, but I’d be extremely happy if they did.

There are so many missed opportunities in developing this game’s extended story universe. Ones that make more sense then the last 3 years.

Rise of the Hutt Cartel would have been a perfect time to create a “real” third faction. Like an Underworld one that is run by the Hutts.

They could have added a new classes and allowed smugglers and Mercs to join it. Then slowly added a new class over the expansions. Like a Republic SiS agent, Imperial trooper and maybe slaver (or something like that) for Underworld or possibly a bouncer/body guard/bruiser.

Even adding a 4th faction like the Chiss could have been done.

It makes more sense for the Republic or Empire to be at war or allied to the underworld or Chiss ascendancy. A lot more sense IMO than the last 2 expansions.

There were so many possibilities with the existing SW extended universe factions or cultures or groups, that adding the eternal throne wasn’t necessary and IMO, departed from what SW EU was about.

GSF Could have been more mission oriented as well as pvp. It could have rivaled the old Xwing series, which are still the best SW space battles after 20 years and people still play them (currently getting a new graphics update too).

No joystick support put a lot of people off (those that were hoping for a Xwing vs Tie fighter experience), I won’t play it because of that. It’s not SW immersive for me. There were non swtor players who loved the Xwing games, just waiting to come play swtor for the space sim experience.

This was another major missed opportunity by Bioware and EA. It’s too late for swtor, but at least they sort of learnt that lesson for SWBF series and made it more SW space sim (

)

EA screwed the pooch really hard by pulling so much funding from swtor. SW IP = make money and I just don’t think EA considered they had one of the biggest and richest diamond mines in the world. Instead they treated it like a pile of off cut cubic zirconia’s they wanted to offload for a quick buck. Then Bioware flushed a lot of those down the drain.

If they could convince Disney to give them another go and extend the licence just for a SW TOR game, they could make an awesome swtor 2 and do it right. But alas, we know that won’t happen because Disney are unlikely to give EA another chance, considering how theyve handled the IP and the lack of producing enough games in the licence period. Plus, I don’t think EA would properly support the game past launch and would rather make a quick buck and move on,

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I think it makes sense to have it restricted to just Sins and shadows.

The lightsaber whip that is? I figured it would work better for Sorcs tbh.

Agreed +1

Sadly, the window for an new classes has probably passed us by. Id take 100:1 odds it will never happen, but I’d be extremely happy if they did.

There are so many missed opportunities in developing this game’s extended story universe. Ones that make more sense then the last 3 years.

Rise of the Hutt Cartel would have been a perfect time to create a “real” third faction. Like an Underworld one that is run by the Hutts.

They could have added a new classes and allowed smugglers and Mercs to join it. Then slowly added a new class over the expansions. Like a Republic SiS agent, Imperial trooper and maybe slaver (or something like that) for Underworld or possibly a bouncer/body guard/bruiser.

Even adding a 4th faction like the Chiss could have been done.

It makes more sense for the Republic or Empire to be at war or allied to the underworld or Chiss ascendancy. A lot more sense IMO than the last 2 expansions.

There were so many possibilities with the existing SW extended universe factions or cultures or groups, that adding the eternal throne wasn’t necessary and IMO, departed from what SW EU was about.

GSF Could have been more mission oriented as well as pvp. It could have rivaled the old Xwing series, which are still the best SW space battles after 20 years and people still play them (currently getting a new graphics update too).

No joystick support put a lot of people off (those that were hoping for a Xwing vs Tie fighter experience), I won’t play it because of that. It’s not SW immersive for me. There were non swtor players who loved the Xwing games, just waiting to come play swtor for the space sim experience.

This was another major missed opportunity by Bioware and EA. It’s too late for swtor, but at least they sort of learnt that lesson for SWBF series and made it more SW space sim (

)

EA screwed the pooch really hard by pulling so much funding from swtor. SW IP = make money and I just don’t think EA considered they had one of the biggest and richest diamond mines in the world. Instead they treated it like a pile of off cut cubic zirconia’s they wanted to offload for a quick buck. Then Bioware flushed a lot of those down the drain.

If they could convince Disney to give them another go and extend the licence just for a SW TOR game, they could make an awesome swtor 2 and do it right. But alas, we know that won’t happen because Disney are unlikely to give EA another chance, considering how theyve handled the IP and the lack of producing enough games in the licence period. Plus, I don’t think EA would properly support the game past launch and would rather make a quick buck and move on,

Yeah kind of a shame that we didn't got more class when the potential was there for it, but the game shot itself in the foot when each class had a unique story. Developing a new one would've always been hard due to this, at best we can get a new advanced class and even that is kind of pointless unless they rework things in such ways it makes a new advanced class different yet fun to play (as well as efficient please).

Charles actually talked about this, originally they did had three factions planned out but I don't remember the specific reasons but sometimes the storylines didn't worked as intended I guess so they cut back to 2 factions.

Meh, I disagree. The EU was well... about expanding, playing on your own little sandbox, that's what Bioware did (and still does), honestly I'm more frustrated we didn't get to have enough time with that story, it had a lot of potential and a lot of it is missed because it is an expansion and not a full game.

I never played the X-wing series so I can't comment on it but I found GSF to be pretty fun to play, when I used to play it that is, I think the biggest problem is how it was quickly forgotten shortly after launch never to be touched again until Keith took over. If you'd told me in early 2017 that Keith would release a new GSF map I wouldn't believe it. That being said I think there is always improvements they could try to make but alas they're likely beyond the game's budget, some guild ship PVP, ETC.