Absorb shields cancelling each other

Torvai

This is just a copy and paste from my post in the Bug Report Forum. Just putting it out here so people can see it.

As it stands, there are 4 class ability effects that straight up absorb damage. Sorcs Static Barrier, Operatives Shield Probe and Juggs Sonic Barrier and Sonic Wall. With Shield Probe being the strongest one with ~13k absorbed damage in 220+ gear and the +30% utility, followed up by Sorcs Barrier with ~10k, then Sonic Barrier at ~3k and finally the Sonic Wall utility with a tiny ~900.

The problem is, that if you're affected by two or more of those effects, in the worst case a Sonic Wall and a Sorc Barrier, you don't get 900+10k absorb. One overrides the other somehow. I couldn't really specify how it works exactly, but they are certainly not additive as one would expect.

As an example: You have a Static Barrier on you and get a Sonic Wall effect as well. What happens is that only one of both effects absorbs it's damage(or sometimes not even it's full damage) and once one effect is used up, the other drops as well without absorbing anything at all.

In Addition to this, we found out that the reactive warding relic is also affected by this.

So in an optimal case you use these skills in the following progression: Shield Probe->Static Barrier-> Sonic Barrier-> Reactive Warding->Sonic Wall.

Basically you shouldn't use Sonic Wall when you got a sorc healer or operatives in your group and don't use RW when you got a sorc healer. And Jugg tanks should see that they only use Force Scream when they don't have a sorc barrier on them as well. In the optimal case at least :)

By any chance you know when it started happening, or was in game all that time?

I've noticed on multiple occasions that my absorb per second is way too low on jugg, but typically was ignoring it, explaining with healers being allergic to barriers. No kidding, with some of them I was getting stuff like a total of 1-2 barriers per 7 minute dread guards pull :(

Basically you shouldn't use Sonic Wall when you got a sorc healer or operatives in your group

Question is, why would you use it at all (cept very few fights) :p

I'd also set up timer for RW relic if one haven't already to track it's proc and delay scream if needed. It's very minor, but wasting a proc that happens only once per 40s just feels so wrong.

By any chance you know when it started happening, or was in game all that time?

I have no idea.

I've noticed on multiple occasions that my absorb per second is way too low on jugg, but typically was ignoring it, explaining with healers being allergic to barriers. No kidding, with some of them I was getting stuff like a total of 1-2 barriers per 7 minute dread guards pull :(

Well, you should see the barriers in the combat log. But the absorb values should be off then.

Question is, why would you use it at all (cept very few fights) :p

Yeah, sadly it's not great to begin with.This bug, if it is one at all(:rolleyes:) just makes it even more useless. But imagine a fully bubbled group going into the council burst phase just for a jugg basically deleting all those barriers :D

On the other hand, even if it isn't great, so long as you don't have sorc or operatives in your group, there's no harm in using it. Just like sin tanks mass taunt utility that heals for a tiny amount. Won't save you, but why not? :D

I'd also set up timer for RW relic if one haven't already to track it's proc and delay scream if needed. It's very minor, but wasting a proc that happens only once per 40s just feels so wrong.

I don't even use it. Dps relics ftw :D

And seriously, some bosses, like Calphayus, I tank in complete dps gear. :p

Edited by Torvai

So, with the exception of DPS relics what relics would you suggest for tanks with bubble healers? :)

I hate playing with DPS items on my tank, honestly. I just switched many defense mods for DPS mods(220 power leftovers) and I feel dirty. I need to take a shower :D

Yeah, sadly it's not great to begin with.This bug, if it is one at all(:rolleyes:) just makes it even more useless. But imagine a fully bubbled group going into the council burst phase just for a jugg basically deleting all those barriers :D

...Because popping Saber Reflect as soon as they finish cast is not enough. :p

On the other hand, even if it isn't great, so long as you don't have sorc or operatives in your group, there's no harm in using it. Just like sin tanks mass taunt utility that heals for a tiny amount. Won't save you, but why not? :D

I can find excuse to use it, sure. But heal/dr on sin? Eww. There's always a better utility, be it extra reck stack, speed on shock or cc immunity.

Though I occasionally spec into Shelter to troll healers when they slack.:D

And seriously, some bosses, like Calphayus, I tank in complete dps gear. :p

Since I prefer sins, I sometimes go with healer gear (don't have no accuracy dps set, sadly) and swap once stuff starts to hurt (think Styrak when he summons dragon). Though healer gear works on other classes better. So far my best is 4.2k Revan HM Core dps as pt tank. :rolleyes:

So, with the exception of DPS relics what relics would you suggest for tanks with bubble healers? :)

I hate playing with DPS items on my tank, honestly. I just switched many defense mods for DPS mods(220 power leftovers) and I feel dirty. I need to take a shower :D

Well, I consider crafted MK-26s to be best relics. Running with Shield Amplification + Shrouded Crusader on most of my tanks. You see, 30+ assassins across 4 servers, sometimes hard to keep all of them similarly geared.:rolleyes:

Shrouded Crusader is especially great on assassins, because of synergy with Recklessness.

• 4 weeks later...