Updates at six week intervals per Bioware

Jett-Rinn

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check it out

I'm a bit concern because there was zero mention of Story updates if Bioware has abandoned that I don't see the IP doing well at all.

Hmmmm ....

What will those updates include? "Well we're committed to about every six weeks, doing a major update for the game -- which would be a new warzone, a new operation, a new flashpoint, a new event -- and to doing that on a really frequent cadence, every six weeks. So we're going to stick to that," Bromberg told AusGamers.

This is from Bromberg. :rolleyes:

Hey is the opposite of the Scotty School of Engineering :p (And doesn't know it). :D

It was mentioned. One of the high level developers said that it's not a priority.

AusGamers: And is there anything else you can tell me... I mean, you guys are great storytellers, and you’ve got The Old Republic; Mass Effect is now wrapped up. But I’d argue that there is so much left for you guys to do in terms of storytelling. Can you give us a hint at anything that might be coming on the horizon?

Matthew: I agree with you. I think the sort of core qualities of BioWare games, and the ability to tell really deep and engaging stories is as valuable as it has ever been, and we’re really going to stick to that. And we do have a bunch of new stuff on the horizon, but I can’t tell you about any of it [laughs].

Before you hand wring and doom cry read the article. :rolleyes: My question was about if they were including it in the updates or more further out.

This is from Bromberg. :rolleyes:

Hey is the opposite of the Scotty School of Engineering :p (And doesn't know it). :D

Naaa I have a feeling they are Scottyfying it. :D

Edited by Jett-Rinn

Before you hand wring and doom cry read the article. :rolleyes: My question was about if they were including it in the updates or more further out.

Yeah I have a felling they are Scottyfying it. :D

What you quoted was "nebulous" it can be read more than one way. It did not diffinitively mention "class story", "planet story" or "FP Story" (the 3 types of SWTOR stories). Technically they can just churn out reskinned FPS and meet the "story metric" worded they way it was in the interview. You need to read it more carefully for what it doesn't say instead of reading into it what you would like it to say. :rolleyes:

What you quoted was "nebulous" it can be read more than one way. It did not diffinitively mention "class story", "planet story" or "FP Story" (the 3 types of SWTOR stories). Technically they can just churn out reskinned FPS and meet the "story metric" worded they way it was in the interview. You need to read it more carefully for what it doesn't say instead of reading into it what you would like it to say. :rolleyes:

Okay so read it with the Astroturfing eye of doom.....gotcha.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Jett-Rinn

Why didn't you link the source article first, then the chopped one?

Edit: Oh god, they used the phrase "going forward", my hope is dying. I loathe that phrase.

Edited by Tatile

Okay so read it with the Astroturfing eye of doom.....gotcha.

:rolleyes:

No need to bring your politics into anything by using the progressive slam of astroturfing. :p (Nanny P fan are we?)

No read it objectively without bias either way. Not FOR BW or AGAINST BW. They were nebulous in their statement. Fact. This can lead people down the road of eisegesis (usually does on these forums :p ).

It doesn't say what you think it says. Fact. The statement is given to subjectivity. Fact. As it is already being interpreted in more than one way.

EA/BW executives should really never deal with the public (until they get some Public Affairs training at least :D )

The story from operations is still going strong, they got cut scenes between each of the last 3 bosses for the soon to be new operation, with possibly an ending (couldn't get past the stupid phase 2 of the last boss...).

As was mentioned before, it would be incredibly hard for BW to release any new content to this game without it including some form of an engaging story attached to it.

Edited by Codek

Check it out

I'm a bit concern because there was zero mention of Story updates if Bioware has abandoned that I don't see the IP doing well at all.

Story is time consuming (and may or may not be expensive). It was never going to be every 6 weeks, even every 6 months might be pushing it. :(

Personally I'll be surprised it there ever any new story out side of any expansions they do (or don't do).

Story is time consuming (and may or may not be expensive). It was never going to be every 6 weeks, even every 6 months might be pushing it. :(

Personally I'll be surprised it there ever any new story out side of any expansions they do (or don't do).

Yeah...I just think that it will be hard to hold onto a lot of players if they can't move the story forward at least twice a year.

Yeah...I just think that it will be hard to hold onto a lot of players if they can't move the story forward at least twice a year.

Yes and that's what they said they would be trying to do in an interview at a recent event ( was it comic con ? talking to the german interviewer). Anyways yeah i really hope the class stories are moved forward too. Otherwise it will be cap 16 characters then a little end game then I will be bored.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

G-

For what it's worth. It was said by BW (prolly Dallas D before he left ) that they had alot of the future stories already voiced. It was in answer to what if one of the actors died or refuesed to work for them again. So we "may" see more story sooner rather than later. Purely speculative but, hopeful. :)

I'm amazed that people think that just because EA/Bioware would commit to a schedule of any kind that this somehow means that they can mark on their calendar exactly when an update will be out. As if it is somehow now carved into the very fabric of the universe. Then kick, scream, and whine like babies when it either doesn't come out on that exact date/time or claim that they were lied to.

Just like when you tell your friend that you'll be at his house at 4pm for his BBQ but don't get there until 5pm, you commited to a schedule. Sometimes, things are late. Get over it.

Meaningful story updates are probably reserved for expansions at this stage. With B2P they can sorta be marketed as standalone rpg experience even to people who quit.

Ofc time will tell the level of commitment BW/EA still have to this game... If the 1 and 1.5 year marks go by without word on an xpac then we know we're in for a bleak slow ride into oblivion.

A bit of content every 6 weeks is all well and good but honestly, it's not enough when competition is pumping out large scale expansions. Those are the major milestones in a games life and more than anything symbolize that a game is alive. I want to see the galaxy evolve like azeroth did, not just a wz and a fp/ops every 2 months.

Edited by aeterno

Makeb = continuation of story.

But obviously we don't know when that will be implemented, but good article post nonetheless, good news tbh,

I haven't seen anything definitive that Makeb is going to be a significant step forward in the class stories (in a Chapter 4 sense). It's most likely a single world questline with minor class moments. I don't know that for a fact, but that's my guess.

As to the six week timeline. We'll see.

I haven't seen anything definitive that Makeb is going to be a significant step forward in the class stories (in a Chapter 4 sense). It's most likely a single world questline with minor class moments. I don't know that for a fact, but that's my guess.

As to the six week timeline. We'll see.

No class stories on Makeb. They have said as much, many times. Its story continuation sure, but not your class story. Just another planet to run through and everyone does the same stuff.

Since story was/is the main selling point of the game, you can be certain if there were class stories, they would be gushing and going on and on and on about the stories. No, there are no stories to look forward too.

Edited by Insomnio

No class stories on Makeb. They have said as much, many times. Its story continuation sure, but not your class story. Just another planet to run through and everyone does the same stuff.

Which is a mistake TBH. It seems to me the way the "planet progression" was set up (as to why you go where you go when you go) is based off of "your story". Other than the "end game" "content" quest givers, you were directed to go to planet X or Y to continue your story and the planet quests were of the form "since you are here, mind taking care of this for me?".

I just relish the 5 level "dead spot" (or longer who knows) that will be in place when leveling a toon. :rolleyes:

:)

I really hope there is some open world end game content that offers something more than daily tokens. It seems that much of the game is turning into an instanced play ground where PvP is instanced, End Game Gear grind is instanced, even repeatable story mode missions all take you into an instance.

Before launch we were told about story, companions and choices that mattered. Very little end game content has story, companions or choices that matter. You run the same flash points and ops till you have the gear and then move on to the next difficulty, it would be nice to see more of the massive multiplayer aspect and a little less of the 8 or 16 man co-ops.

So the story that never ends actually does end at 50 and then you have...............nothing [new] to look forward too. Interesting approach, is this game run by the government now? I never thought I would say this but I actually miss wow now. Much more bored as hell stuff to do in that game.

Also, hasn't it been 6 weeks since they said 6 week intervals or are they counting the last mini event as an update?

I really hope there is some open world end game content that offers something more than daily tokens. It seems that much of the game is turning into an instanced play ground where PvP is instanced, End Game Gear grind is instanced, even repeatable story mode missions all take you into an instance.

Before launch we were told about story, companions and choices that mattered. Very little end game content has story, companions or choices that matter. You run the same flash points and ops till you have the gear and then move on to the next difficulty, it would be nice to see more of the massive multiplayer aspect and a little less of the 8 or 16 man co-ops.

To their merit.. and I don`t say this often.. they DID choices that mattered with companions, at least, in Beta. Problem was.. idiots were killing them "for the lulz", then crying about no tank or healer, so they took away choice and made them... unkillable :) .

About PvP.. we might never see big open world, since this engine is really bantha poo in regards to multiple avatars in the same place. Such a shame...

Edited by Styxx