***????? JK losing two DAMAGE abilites?

Stridentzephon

its a DAMAGE attack. Why do we get cut two damage abilities without something that replaces it?-

Because no one ever used them. All of the Opportune Attack/Pommel Strike type attacks for *all* classes are being removed because they're almost entirely unused. At best, people used them once or twice just to see what they looked like.

Because no one ever used them. All of the Opportune Attack/Pommel Strike type attacks for *all* classes are being removed because they're almost entirely unused. At best, people used them once or twice just to see what they looked like.

Really? I use them all the time. Only reason I don't use them more is the super long cd on the one that requires a stun. I love the slow one (opportune strick I think?) bc I can use it after every leap

Yup, I use Savage Kick (don't know the republic name, lol), the one with the short cooldown, all the time for trash mobs / dailies, since Leap (I do know that one :p) will set the state on target for it.

A shame, I'll miss it. It's a strong hit with no cost. Of course, no use for a boss, but so what ? What would be the "unbalance" or whatever of leaving them on the game ?

Speak for yourself. Those were ultimate trash killers and time-savers when doing daily quests / flashpoints! Pommel strike and savage kick one-shots normal trash mob easily.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

Speak for yourself. Those were ultimate trash killers and time-savers when doing daily quests / flashpoints! Pommel strike and savage kick one-shots normal trash mob easily.

You can be pretty sure that the devs did a healthy bit of datamining before deciding to remove those abilities, and I'm willing to make a bet that the "trash compactor" attacks saw virtually negligible use, which is why the devs are removing them. Sure, there are a few players that use them, but, even then, those players barely use them (re: when doing dailies). Those abilities can be removed without affecting 99.99% of the actual game population so there's no reason other than artefactual persistence in keeping them around.

You can be pretty sure that the devs did a healthy bit of datamining before deciding to remove those abilities, and I'm willing to make a bet that the "trash compactor" attacks saw virtually negligible use, which is why the devs are removing them. Sure, there are a few players that use them, but, even then, those players barely use them (re: when doing dailies). Those abilities can be removed without affecting 99.99% of the actual game population so there's no reason other than artefactual persistence in keeping them around.

This.

They are nice while doing dailies and leveling an alt, but that's it. I'm sure as hell not gonna miss them.

Those abilities can be removed without affecting 99.99% of the actual game population so there's no reason other than artefactual persistence in keeping them around.

Where did you get that number from ? That's a guess, right ?

Whatever the actual number for the "majority" is, how keeping those abilities affect them negatively ? How removing those abilities benefits them ?

Edited by wainot-keel

Not that I care overly much(but care I do ;) ) - but there's a risk with deciding things /results from "data mining" - it tends to streamline things(in games as well as in real life), removing things that "stands out" - in the long run it's a very good recipe to make things more and more boring, none-unique and more of the same-same-same.

Ofc there's quite a bunch that couldn't care less about "certain unique flavour" - as well as for some people it's the "small" sometimes almost unused things that make the game stand out. Those who don't care, usually don't care if it stays or goes - for those who do care about such "small things", it could indeed be game breakers(in the long or short run).

Edited by -DG-

not lying

theyre not even on my toolbar

So ?

They are on mine. Aside from the daily trash you have to deal with, I craft for lowbies and I farm for bio and scav mats a lot, which means a lot of mob killing. Charge + Kick (on the air). Dead mob. Farm mats.

Yes, this removal won't affect you negatively. You don't care. Gotcha. But if they do stay in the game you it won't affect you either in any way (you don't have them in your toolbar). So what if you don't use them against Kephess on EC NiM ?

Also I remember being them quite useful for leveling, so they have their place in the game. But this is the lazy way, instead of buffing the abilities to make them more appealing for more players, they just remove them.:rolleyes:

Edited by wainot-keel

Yup I use them too, on cooldown more or less. Pommel Strike is great in combination with force stasis (with the point in it to make it unchannelled) - although I do wish the CD was less, and Opportune Strike is almost always the first ability I use on trash after a Leap into combat. With points in Freezing Force (for PvP) it becomes even more useful for extended trash mob killing. Guardian tank dps is woeful enough without taking away abilities to do extra damage however small.

Whatever the actual number for the "majority" is, how keeping those abilities affect them negatively ? How removing those abilities benefits them ?

There are 2 reasons to remove them: the first being that the developers no longer need to update them (re: new ranks and potential rebalancing) and the second being that it clears up the bars and prevents ability glut (which has a tendency to confuse the living bejeesus out of new players who often think that, hey, "Opportune and Pommel are going to be big parts of this character!" when really they're virtually ignorable).

The reason the devs gave for those abilities existing in the first place was, explicitly, to break up the monotony of leveling (re: you get a kewl little animation to demolish a trash enemy when it's pretty much dead anyways). From a game design standpoint, that's not really a good reason to have an ability. If an ability doesn't have a good reason to exist and is barely used by the game population, it should either be removed or modified so that it actually fulfills 2 criteria it failed. Since the classes work perfectly fine *without* trash compactors (as evidenced by all of the people that never touch them), removing them will have no real negative effect (barring a few trash compactor loyalists who use them while doing dailies even though it has no real impact on their performance; seriously, if an enemy can be killed by a trash compactor attack, you could've killed it with any 2 GCDs really).

Edited by Kitru

Since the classes work perfectly fine *without* trash compactors (as evidenced by all of the people that never touch them), removing them will have no real negative effect

Well, thanks for considering the people who do use them and enjoy use them on their daily play as non-existant.

But you're wrong. At the very least, it'll be less fun. Less fun it's a real negative effect.

(barring a few trash compactor loyalists

What the heck is this ?

I don't know if I should respond with a snark or actual annoyance.

who use them while doing dailies even though it has no real impact on their performance; seriously, if an enemy can be killed by a trash compactor attack, you could've killed it with any 2 GCDs really).

So there are other useful ways to kill trash. Now there will be one less. That's a loss. Clearly not for you. You're safe in the "majority".

I like these abilities, they're fun to use, they're useful, they look cool.

The statement was not intended to be OMG its gone, What ever will i do?? And was not "They are pointless" The fact is that they ARE attacks how ever small or large. Who cares if it gets updated or if you use them. From a DPS standpoint you use all attacks usable. End of story. No matter if its on weak mobs or weakest. If you spec into the abilities they are usable in PVP and stuns players. Both attacks with a DPS build do 3k-5k damage in blunt damage. The second fact that if you take two actions away, give us at least one ATTACK that does not and is not effected like both of those attacks required. Many have stated they did not use them because of either the enemy needed to be stunned or impaired to even toggle us to use them. As many others said it is a open to a rotation after force leap. It has its usefulness. And lastly who cares about devs having to make the animation for the attack. ITS ALREADY IN THE GAME NOW. So as others said it does not effect anyone that does not use it, IT EFFECTS ALL THAT DO USE IT.

I personally don't ever use them, so couldn't care less. If all you do are fps/ops and pvp, they're useless.

I guess that explains why I have never seen them lit. I mostly PVP lol. Was beginning to wonder if the Knight even had a trigger for them rofl.