Master Mode KotFE

Vaylorn

Returning player finally going through KotFE for the first time here. I'm hitting each Chapter in story first, then making my way to Master Mode. I am currently a level 75 character only outfitted with 275 rated gear, as I am just going through the core story missions and not putting much effort into obtaining gear. Are these master modes intended to be done with 306 gear?

I've been watching videos of people doing the Chapter 2 Monolith boss on master mode and his health never seems to be much higher than 700k. When I attempt to do that chapter, he has 1mil 400k health and utterly decimates me while I can hardly get him below 90% health, even with popping adrenals, medkits, relics, etc.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Returning player finally going through KotFE for the first time here. I'm hitting each Chapter in story first, then making my way to Master Mode. I am currently a level 75 character only outfitted with 275 rated gear, as I am just going through the core story missions and not putting much effort into obtaining gear. Are these master modes intended to be done with 306 gear?

I've been watching videos of people doing the Chapter 2 Monolith boss on master mode and his health never seems to be much higher than 700k. When I attempt to do that chapter, he has 1mil 400k health and utterly decimates me while I can hardly get him below 90% health, even with popping adrenals, medkits, relics, etc.

Any insight would be appreciated!

You need to move out of the cleave it does. Fastest way is running through the boss.

I don't know the current gear requirements, I did them a few years ago in 248. But some of them are really difficult, and you might want to pick specific classes for some of them. I also needed someone to help me with a couple of them.

One more note: if you are doing them all for cheevos, you can skip veteran modes, as you get the veteran cheevos when you complete the same chapter in master mode.

You need to move out of the cleave it does. Fastest way is running through the boss.

I don't know the current gear requirements, I did them a few years ago in 248. But some of them are really difficult, and you might want to pick specific classes for some of them. I also needed someone to help me with a couple of them.

One more note: if you are doing them all for cheevos, you can skip veteran modes, as you get the veteran cheevos when you complete the same chapter in master mode.

Thanks for the reply. I am avoiding all of his channeled attacks and using the time he channels his "shout" move to my advantage by damaging him out of harms way. It's his basic swipe move that hits me for 40k each

I lucked out, by freak accident one of his attacks sent me flying onto the top of the canyon walls. I was able to get out of reach of him and just spam saber throws, and AOE's .

I still can't see this being solo'able without cheating the system however. I'll most likely hold off on further Master modes until I get my 306 gear set.

I haven’t try this fight since 6.0 but will give it a go later this week. It used to be one of the easier fights in MM. However, some fights are completely unbalanced in MM since the last patch.

The walker mission, the final shield phase when fighting Arcan are two examples that come to my mind. Even at full health when I start that final shield phase when Arcan jumps on the stairs, I can no longer survive the AOE despite reflecting all that can be reflected and I die on the stairs just before reaching him. Generally speaking though I have been stuck in phases that do not imply regular fighting but alternate mechanics such as the shield/walker.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=975289

Players were grinding 5.0 by running chapter 2, so they nerfed it about one month in. The rewards were reduced, and the difficulty increased. Even so, it's a good fight for melee, provided you time your DCDs.

The first thing I did when 6.0 dropped was run my Vigilance (i250) through MM chapter 2 to see if scaling had changed. The Monolith was the same as I remembered, but the loss of set bonus made things noticeably harder, something that Guardians have not recovered from.

After re-playing a KotFE chapter, the OP should note any lost companions and/or purchased GSF crewmen.

Edited by sayNih

I lucked out, by freak accident one of his attacks sent me flying onto the top of the canyon walls. I was able to get out of reach of him and just spam saber throws, and AOE's .

I still can't see this being solo'able without cheating the system however. I'll most likely hold off on further Master modes until I get my 306 gear set.

What level is your companion?

Master Mode chapters were basically intended to be completed by players in top gear with level 50 companions (this was before the first nerf to companion heals and the second nerf to companion heals). Many of the chapters force you to use specific companions (theron, lana, koth and senya mostly) which means you have to level a lot of them to 50.

However, I don't really know if they're still doable on Master Mode now that companion heals have been nerfed so much and boss health and damage has been buffed.

If you have alts, remember that you can run these chapters on different characters depending on their abilities. For example, there's one fight against two overseers (in the chapter with Kaliyo, another companion to level, lol) where you can really only pass it with a character that can stun one of the two while you fight the other (Sorcerer, Operative, Shadow).

Let us know how your progress goes!

Also, if you just want to do it for the achievements, you can also invite other players into your instance to help you out.

What level is your companion?

Master Mode chapters were basically intended to be completed by players in top gear with level 50 companions (this was before the first nerf to companion heals and the second nerf to companion heals). Many of the chapters force you to use specific companions (theron, lana, koth and senya mostly) which means you have to level a lot of them to 50.

However, I don't really know if they're still doable on Master Mode now that companion heals have been nerfed so much and boss health and damage has been buffed.

If you have alts, remember that you can run these chapters on different characters depending on their abilities. For example, there's one fight against two overseers (in the chapter with Kaliyo, another companion to level, lol) where you can really only pass it with a character that can stun one of the two while you fight the other (Sorcerer, Operative, Shadow).

Let us know how your progress goes!

Also, if you just want to do it for the achievements, you can also invite other players into your instance to help you out.

Thanks for the response!

Unfortunately, the game states that companions are unavailable during that particular boss, so you're forced to go it alone. I was at the mercy of Valkorion healing, which didn't seem to assist all that much.

On my last playthrough I had noticed something interesting as well, it appears that the stims I was popping to increase either my endurance, mastery, or power, weren't actually increasing anything at all. Before and after applying the stim, my characters stats would remain unaltered according to the Character Sheet. I'm wondering if that has something to do with the game "leveling down" my character from 75 to 70.

It was a frustrating (and expensive :( ) experience. I'm curious to see if others that are better geared have as difficult a time as I did!

Thanks for the response!

Unfortunately, the game states that companions are unavailable during that particular boss, so you're forced to go it alone. I was at the mercy of Valkorion healing, which didn't seem to assist all that much.

On my last playthrough I had noticed something interesting as well, it appears that the stims I was popping to increase either my endurance, mastery, or power, weren't actually increasing anything at all. Before and after applying the stim, my characters stats would remain unaltered according to the Character Sheet. I'm wondering if that has something to do with the game "leveling down" my character from 75 to 70.

It was a frustrating (and expensive :( ) experience. I'm curious to see if others that are better geared have as difficult a time as I did!

You have piqued my interest. I put off running the MM chapters once 6.0 dropped (I was focusing on the 8 classes to 100 command achievement instead) but now I want to give it a shot again. I'll hop on later tonight to check on a few different classes.

Of course, as long as the walker fights are so terribly broken, it's impossible to get 100% on master mode at the moment.

You have piqued my interest. I put off running the MM chapters once 6.0 dropped (I was focusing on the 8 classes to 100 command achievement instead) but now I want to give it a shot again. I'll hop on later tonight to check on a few different classes.

Of course, as long as the walker fights are so terribly broken, it's impossible to get 100% on master mode at the moment.

Let me know how it goes! For me, the issue was at the end of Chapter 2 MM on my Vengeance Sith Warrior.

Let me know how it goes! For me, the issue was at the end of Chapter 2 MM on my Vengeance Sith Warrior.

OK, so... I did it. I finished chapter 2 MM and beat the monolith. Here are the details:

Class: Jedi Shadow

Gear: 306 with full set bonus, but only a few gold amplifiers, most amps are purple. No augments.

Buffs: I used a proficient adrenal to boost crit and accuracy. I was at 110% accuracy and +16% crit bonus.

Technique: The only way I could survive long enough for Valkorian to actually heal me was to kite the boss until he would either do his Terrible Scream or recharge. He seemed to do Terrible Scream 3 times before recharging.

There are two large rocks in the arena that you can use to slow down the boss. He will still hit you, for a lot, but it should help Valkorian heal you up. So, basically, I would hit him with ranged attacks and kite as much as possible. Force speed helped a lot with this, plus it mitigates a little damage. Shadow has 2 defensive cooldowns and one small heal, so I used the weaker DCD when my health was about 25%. I would save the stronger damage immunity until it was an emergency situation. At any rate, you want to only use 1 DCD for each period between Terrible Scream or whatever.

I think he does Terrible Scream once every 10 seconds or so. So you have to deal with 3 or 4 swipes if you're kiting. Don't stand in front of him, even if you're far away. You have to be behind him. As he casts, you have a few seconds to do your best burst damage and then start kiting again. When he recharges, you have 2 opportunities to damage him. (1) while he is recharging (2) he will do a terrible scream right after that.

I think it took me 3 or 4 recharges (10 terrible screams) to kill him.

This was on the third try, mind you. The first run was very close but I got too far away from him and didn't make it behind him in time for terrible shout. The second run was horrific. The third time was a charm!

Tomorrow I'm going to try running it on my Lightning Sorc and Juggernaut (whatever the DoT spec is). I also managed to do chapter 1 on MM.

Interesting FYI for people. Did you know that running MM chapters gives you better gear than any PVP? You get a golden Chapter crate at the end that seems to cap at 302. Still, it's 5 or 6 pieces of gold gear, plus 2 pieces you get from completing the chapter.

I thought it was an interesting discovery.

It was best to do these right at start when they came out as as with many things in this game, as time goes things get messed up. Also regarding achievements if you do a chapter for the first time on MM you also get achievements for SM and VT, which makes it best to do the chapters on MM right away if you are after achievements.

Anyway, I just wanted to add some hints. Keep in mind what people wrote, in some cases you will need specific companions due to their special skills. Use heroic moment and Unity. In case that you do not have a companion its best to use specific classes with self heals. If you do not care about story use a stealther to skip trash mobs (but in KOTFE you will agro stuff in stealth anyway, but KOTET they changed it).

Its really best to ge in maxxed out with 306 fully augmented gear. That specific Monolith fight was changed due to people farming it for CXP. They increased the HP so it takes longer. Its best to use a class with offheal like Merc or hatred assasin. If you happen to have any issues just write it here and we might be able to help.

I also had troubles in that fight as a DPS class without heals, when I did it 2 years ago. I switched to Ruffian and just spammed his free medpac after roll + had slow-release medpac ticking. Really easy that way. I agree that Valk's heals are weak on that fight, you need to dodge all damage almost perfectly to have a chance, if you do not have your own heals. If you do, it becomes a cakewalk, imo. Edited by Equeliber