'project' Shadow

smthngdirtyent

So I recently came back to swtor after awhile due to busy schedule and broken computer. I'm back to playing my main (who is currently a 51 shadow) and I was refunded all of my skill points which gave me an idea to try making a "project shadow". I'm posting to see if anyone else has tried this because I did a quick search and didn't find anything, and I wanted to compare builds. So far what I have is not bad but it obviously has a few kinks to it and feels like it is lacking something (maybe I just need updated armor idk) I am curious if anyone else has tried?

Link the build you're using and I'll certainly give it a shot. Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to work out as well, as there are so few skills that buff shock, the biggest one of which requires the usage of our tanking stance, reducing our bonus damage by 5%. Still, link your build and I'll look it over and test it out.

PVE or PVP?

expertise is next to useless

since you'll need to use combat stance Force Suppression and Focused insight are completly useless

the whirlwind talents are close to useless, if you are there already then why don't you pick Pull?

and Kinetic ward? I would have guessed that you'd use a Focus in that case that's useless as well.

Edited by DarthSpekulatius

I am not even close to using it in pvp yet lol I thought about pull thats was actually the next tweak I was gonna make cause I haven't really been impressed with kinetic ward so I'm about to respec and make changes. Suggestions?

Oh and a little extra, I was trying force technique which is why I put points into suppression. But combat technique is a must (I tried to go around it but no bueno).

Edited by smthngdirtyent

in your case I would Run full infiltration that has lots of Projects

or full Kinetic if you want to tank

if I had to modify your spec it would look like that

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/skills/shadow#123200110223322-203-2212030223

I'm 90% percent sure its suboptimal

and I would never use it for anything but Solo stuff and maybe PVP

After trying your suggested build, and trying a few I came up with, I've arrived at my expected conclusion: it can be done, but it's far from competitive. My best was 2400 dps with a hybrid I made, but considering I usually pull 3100 dps on the same dummy in Infiltration, and 3200 on a good day, I can't suggest you try it if you want to pull competitive numbers. It just doesn't have the sustained damage. The 1 trick pony nature of the builds is holding it back, as it can't build breaching shadows (Infiltration's damage rotation), it doesn't have usable DoTs (Balance) to get buffed by Force in Balance, and it doesn't build Harnessed Shadows, which doesn't work well enough for damage anyway. Getting Deep Impact helped up dps by about 200 over the other attempts (including full tank spec), but getting to there made project too expensive, as it ate up a little over 1/3 of my force with each use.

EDIT: Here's the spec I used that got up to 2400

Edited by Aelanis