Roots and Resolve

Paltu

Rooting ability is a form of CC. Why the hell is it not affected by resolve?

It's basically a free CC to all those that can take advantage of it. Snipers/Gunslingers, Sage/Sorc, Jugg/Knight, Sential/Marauder, Powertech/Vanguard, all have rooting abilities. So 50% of the classes. Before you clowns go off saying powertech/vanguard doesn't have a root, use your pull on someone with full resolve. It roots them for 2 seconds instead of pulls them to you.

Seeing how common rooting can be, resolve needs to be changed to prevent this CC. Cause, well, that is what resolve is suppose to do.

Bioware, you want to fix this or what?

I actually got into a debate about this in General chat last night. I am someone who believes roots should be affected by resolve. It is a hard CC that ruins melee in particular. Also, if a ball carrier for example is over a grate with full resolve, who cares if you can't stun him, you can simply root him. Roots may not be the same as a stun but they should be treated as such, in my opinion.

As a gunslinger who only has two abilities that are CCs that give 800 resolve reach, I do not want roots to give CC. When fighting a gunslinger you are basically at full resolve very fast if they try to use two against you. Root is the only thing keeping me alive. Well, that and snare.

i dont think this will work because if you think there is a lot of CC in the game, there is double the number of roots/snares. some guy gets jumped by 2 knights? full resolve. some guy walks into an aoe slow? resolve. I use my regular setup attack on a guy, which also happens to slow them? resolve!

it would go too far and make actual CC's useless. Take my guardian. I leap a guy he's rooted. Resolve. I use my exhaust attack on him, which is part of my rotation he's slowed. Resolve. At this point I might be able to use ONE of my actual CCs before he has full resolve.

everyone would be walking around immune to CC 75% of the time

Edited by bicuspid

Its not the slowing part I'm talking about. It's the rooting in place. NOT slow walking, ROOTS, where you can't move at all. Slows are fine, it's the rooting in place that's a problem.

Rooting someone is a form of CC, it should not be free. Just like the rest of the CC abilities, it comes at a cost.

Edited by Paltu

Its not the slowing part I'm talking about. It's the rooting in place. NOT slow walking, ROOTS, where you can't move at all. Slows are fine, it's the rooting in place that's a problem.

Rooting someone is a form of CC, it should not be free. Just like the rest of the CC abilities, it comes at a cost.

it would still be pretty bad. warriors and knights pretty much use jump as the first move in all situations. so do vanguards/powertechs I believe. it would be a terrible nerf to those classes because they would fill up resolve instantly if you had more than 1 of that class. a guy is walking to the end zone with the ball on the rafter, and he has some resolve. i am at a lower level than him. if i jump him he gets full resolve and scores easily. if i don't jump him he scores easily. what do i do here?

huttball would basically be a tank with some healers who can survive for 20 seconds and score because he can no longer be stunned in fire/knocked off

if there is really a problem with roots, then I'd rather reduce root duration.

Edited by bicuspid

Root duration down to 1/2 second might be okay. Right now all root abilities lock you in place for 2 seconds. Which is basically a free stun.

As far as your question about the huttball comment. If they made it that close and have full resolve, they should score. Not getting screwed over by yet another CC ability. Rooting wouldn't even have to add much to resolve. Just if the person has full resolve, they should not be able to be rooted at all.

I agree that there needs to be work done/clarification here to how stuns/roots/mezzes relate to resolve. Diminishing returns would work be more effective, imo.

I find it frustrating as a trooper having harpoon being considered a stun. Resolve is up, can't harpoon them... go figure. :/

Edited by Mordris

I agree that there needs to be work done/clarification here to how stuns/roots/mezzes relate to resolve. Diminishing returns would work be more effective, imo.

I find it frustrating as a trooper having harpoon being considered a stun. Resolve is up, can't harpoon them... go figure. :/

yeah its wierd that gapclosers and "get away stuns" affects resolve and roots dont. Resolve needs to be reworked

You could be a sniper/gunslinger, who essentially get locked out of their main ranged abilities when rooted, since you cannot even go into crouch (which roots you in place anyway) when you are rooted. In essence, if you are one of those classes, a root is a stun, since your main damage skills for 2/3 of the specs become unavailable. (lethality does not count since it is not that cover based)

You could be a sniper/gunslinger, who essentially get locked out of their main ranged abilities when rooted, since you cannot even go into crouch (which roots you in place anyway) when you are rooted. In essence, if you are one of those classes, a root is a stun, since your main damage skills for 2/3 of the specs become unavailable. (lethality does not count since it is not that cover based)

Yeah...unlike melee classes, still totally functional...really, you didn't think this through, did ya?^^

On topic - why exactly do you want roots/snares to be affected by resolve? You seem to be seeing one side of it - you being affected by it. I'd bet my credits on you either not having or not using your snares/roots.

People, who do not use their snares/roots, although they have some (probably because they also click and are overwhelmed by all that buttons or smth), shouldn't even be allowed to voice their opinion on that matter.

To the other guys - it is teambased PvP, you are not alone out there. Different classes, different abilities, try to see the bigger picture.

Resolve and CC in this game works perfectly fine. Huttball matches are not faceroll because of sprint/pull/leap/knockback/stun/root - they are complex because of it. Both teams have the same arsenal at their disposal and that is what counts.

As an SA, I cannot root the EBC with full resolve on the fire pit, like the Sw can do, but, among many other things, I can slow him, chase him and ultimately pull him down into the pit, the moment his resolve clears...and then his sorc buddy pulls him back up, etc, etc.

It would be a shame, if the only gameplay element featuring depth in this game's PvP gets dumbed down to the same level as the rest, just because you are unable to grasp its concept and/or see the bigger picture.

You could always have roots/snares not ADD to the resolve bar, but still be affected by them i.e. resolve only grows from stuns/incaps, but when it's white it negates all forms of CC.

Also, some of the roots (jedi knight charge) you cant even trinket out of.

everyone would be walking around immune to CC 75% of the time

and this is a problem? how? The possibility people would have to THINK before spamming the million CC's there are in the game is just too much for some people to handle I take it.

The way the system is right now no one has to actually go wait I shouldn't use x ability because of y reason. It's if the ability is up use it because in the end it doesn't matter atm.

Yeah...unlike melee classes, still totally functional...really, you didn't think this through, did ya?^^

On topic - why exactly do you want roots/snares to be affected by resolve? You seem to be seeing one side of it - you being affected by it. I'd bet my credits on you either not having or not using your snares/roots.

People, who do not use their snares/roots, although they have some (probably because they also click and are overwhelmed by all that buttons or smth), shouldn't even be allowed to voice their opinion on that matter.

To the other guys - it is teambased PvP, you are not alone out there. Different classes, different abilities, try to see the bigger picture.

Resolve and CC in this game works perfectly fine. Huttball matches are not faceroll because of sprint/pull/leap/knockback/stun/root - they are complex because of it. Both teams have the same arsenal at their disposal and that is what counts.

As an SA, I cannot root the EBC with full resolve on the fire pit, like the Sw can do, but, among many other things, I can slow him, chase him and ultimately pull him down into the pit, the moment his resolve clears...and then his sorc buddy pulls him back up, etc, etc.

It would be a shame, if the only gameplay element featuring depth in this game's PvP gets dumbed down to the same level as the rest, just because you are unable to grasp its concept and/or see the bigger picture.

Perhaps you are missing part of this yourself. The classes that don't have this are essentially being left behind because roots are becoming so mainstay in the pvp matches.

I full agree with the chain rooted thing sucking, but then you have to realize that it only sucks in huttball. Where else is it an issue?

Huttball doesn't dictate all of PVP.

Any melee class in any WZ, I have a ranged and a melee. I started out as a ranged and barely even noticed the amount of roots and snares as it wasn't much of an issue. As soon as I switched to melee it has become all to apparent how ridiculous the amount of snares and roots there are.

Do that many classes have immobilizes? I was under the impression that the majority of them were spec-specific, and were high in the tree and costed two points generally.

My Sentinel has no immobilizes, and my Scoundrel has one 2s immobilize. I see the annoyances of immobilizes on Huttball, but it's so situational, and immobilizes are the ultimate anit-kite. Putting them on the resolve would change the dynamics of so many specs and gameplay.

Well, I don't know how to solve the 100% snare (aka root) issue for all classes. However, I think it is unreasonable that specs that depend on Cover cannot remain in Cover or take Cover "in place" while rooted.

Imagine how much more fun roots would be for you if half your armor fell off each time.

Well, wouldn't a change to that aspect suffice, i.e. roots no longer prevent from taking cover?

I mean, instead of dumbing the whole system down because of it...

That would be pretty logical since they basically root themselves, and pop up their own cover in place. I can see it preventing them from rolling or leaping to some other cover tho.

To the Vanguard/Powertech - next time you see someone with full resolve, try and pull them. They won't get pulled back to you, but you better believe it roots them in place for 2 seconds.

They should scrap the resolve system. Do an immunity system instead. You get effected by a certain type of cc you're immune to it for 30 seconds. Knockbacks/snares/roots in one group, stuns/mezes in another. Put them on separate timers, bam, cc problem solved. They had this system in warhammer and it worked great. You didn't lose control of your character for 20-30% of a warzone and cc had to be used very carefully and with planning instead of spamming it willy nilly.