Bounty Hunter Merc Stat Ratios

Pinkjello

Title says it all. These calculations were done as a mercenary. I apologize if my math is off. If you believe something is wrong, please add a comment below.

Update 2: These stats are just a relative figure for a starting level 50. They do not hold true for all characters. Please see below for more information. Leave a comment while you are at it.

Defense Stats:

Health Points:

Endurance Stat: 1 : 10 (Health points)

Damage reduction: (Energy and Kinetic)

Armor stat: 147.3 : 1 (Percent)

Health Regen:

Endurance stat: 1 : .029 (Health regained)

(I have no other defense stats, if others have the ratios for things like dodge, etc... post them please.)

Damage Dealing Stats:

Ranged Tab:

Critical Chance:

Aim stat: 143.34 : 1 (Percent)

Critical Rating Stat: 23.75 : 1 (Percent)

Crit Chance Multiplier:

Surge Rating Stat: 5.8 : 1(Percent)

Hit Chance:

Accuracy rating stat: 30.33 : 1 (Percent)

Bonus Damage:

Aim Stat: 5 : 1 (Damage point)

Power Stat: 4.35 : 1 (Damage point)

Activation Speed:

Alacrity stat: 27.5 : 1 (Percent)

Tech Tab:

Critical Chance:

Aim stat: 143.34 : 1 (Percent)

Cunning Stat: 124.7 : 1 (Percent)

Critical Rating Stat: 23.75 : 1 (Percent)

Crit Chance Multiplier:

Surge Rating Stat: 5.8 : 1(Percent)

Hit Chance:

Accuracy rating stat: 30.33 : 1 (Percent)

Bonus Damage:

Aim Stat: 5:1 (Damage point)

Cunning Stat: 5:1 (Damage point)

Power Stat: 4.35:1 (Damage point)

Tech Power: 4.34:1 (Damage point)

Bonus Healing:

Aim Stat: 7.14 : 1 (Healing point)

Power Stat: 5.8 : 1 (Healing point)

Tech Power: 5.88 : 1 (Healing point)

Activation Speed:

Alacrity stat: 27.5 : 1 (Percent)

PvP Stats:

PvP Damage Boost:

Expertise Stat: 36.22 : 1 (Percent)

PvP Damage Reduction:

Expertise Stat:36.22 : 1 (Percent)

PvP Healing Boost:

Expertise Stat: 36.22 : 1 (Percent)

Companion effectiveness:

Champion health increase:

Presence stat: 1 : 5 (Health points)

Champion damage increase:

Presence stat: 1 : 0.14 (Damage point)

Champion healing increase:

Presence stat: 1 : .029 (Healing point)

Primary Weapon Damage:

Since there isn't much of a ratio here. I will just tell you how to calculate it and a little bit about the implementation. To get your primary weapon damage you take your base damage range, add the ranged damage bonus* to both the low end of the base damage and the high end.

Example:

Base Damage range for a blaster:

211-392

Ranged Damage bonus:

Total Primary Weapon Damage:

492-673

*(The Ranged damage bonus is calculated using a ceiling function. It uses your bonus damage under the ranged tab, in simple terms, rounds up to the next highest number regardless of the decimal. For example: 281.1, the ceiling of this number is 282.

The definition of ceiling is as follows: Ceiling(x) = n iff n-1 < x <= n )

Secondary Weapon Damage:

The calculations are rather simple. At 50, my base modifier, it appears, for secondary weapons is 30%. This means that you take the base weapon damage of your offhand and multiple .3 and the product is your offhand weapon damage. It does not seem to gain any bonuses from ranged bonus damage like the primary weapon does. I am not sure if any other stat currently boosts this percent. If you have conflicting results. please add a comment.

(All of these stats were calculated at maximum level)

Update 1: 12/22/2011

The Cunning ratios have been added. I am currently trying to figure out if there are any diminishing returns on any of the stat values. I will keep you posted as I recalculate stats at various levels. I also added health regeneration, presence calculations, and how to calculate primary and secondary weapon damage. Making it look pretty so it easier to read.

Update 2: 12/23/2011

I added some information on diminishing returns. Feel free to comment and add whatever you want in the comments below. I am one person and I make mistakes. If you feel that something seems amiss then say so.

Edited by Pinkjello

Diminishing returns

I created this section to basically cover what diminishing returns are, how they effect your character, and a ROUGH estimate on how they effect your character's stat ratios.

What are diminishing returns?

Diminishing returns is a commonly regarded in video games as a (It is commonly linear or exponential to my knowledge) decrease in character stat power and an increase in stats required to hit a certain percentage point. In other words, an inverse correlation would appear if it were to be graphed.

There is another concept, I am not sure what it is called, but it is the exact opposite of diminishing returns. Basically, as you increased in percentage, the amount required to hit that next percent is decreased overtime and eventually rapidly decreases. If anyone is familiar with Armor Penetration from World of Warcraft in Wrath of The Lich King, armor penetration worked this way.

How does this effect me?

The easy answer is: I am not sure yet.

The better answer is: It would mean that rather than focusing in one specific stat, it may be better to have a variety of stats. I have no idea. I will try to provide the data and then you make your own assumptions and conclusions. All that you need to know now is that as you increase in gear, you will find it harder and harder to make that next percent of crit or expertise.

Rough estimate for diminishing returns.

I currently only have expertise mapped out. More to come.

Expertise Rating:

Rating per Percent:

Percent:

Expertise Rating:

Rating per Percent:

Percent:

Expertise Rating:

Rating per Percent:

Percent:

Expertise Rating:

Rating Per Percent:

Percent:

What does this mean?

From what I can tell, it means that it takes approximately one more stat point after one percent to get to the next percent. More data to come. Stay tuned.

Edited by Pinkjello

What level are these ratios from? Do the amount of a stat needed per% curve as you gain levels like other games? I would assume they do but not alot of testing done yet.

I am almost positive that this is the case or early levels would be rather difficult. I have not done any of the math for the earlier levels so if you are of that level go ahead and post a couple of the ratios. The next question I would like to answer cornering stats is: if any of the stats use diminishing returns or exponential growth as the stat increases. I have a feeling that Bioware included diminishing returns for certain tank stats such as dodge, but I do not currently possess any other defense stats rather than my armor and base stats.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: There appears to be diminishing returns included in all the stat ratios for the ranged tab. I am double checking my results at this point, but it (unfortunately) renders much of the above work useless. I apologize for any inconvenience this caused. I will try to prepare a sequence to determine how this effects certain stats etc.

First of all, BIG thanks for the time and effort you put into this.

Now for my question. According to your percentages, am I correct by saying that a HEALING BH should stack Cunning (OR Power) instead of Aim, since Cunning provides a 5.9 to 1 bonus and Aim is 7.1 to 1? Meaning for every 6 points of Cunning / Power I gain 1 healing point compared to Aim which would take 7 points to get 1 point of healing.

Also, have you done this for the other 3 IMP classes? OR know of other links? Like I said this is really useful info. Keep up the hard work and updates.

First of all, BIG thanks for the time and effort you put into this.

Now for my question. According to your percentages, am I correct by saying that a HEALING BH should stack Cunning (OR Power) instead of Aim, since Cunning provides a 5.9 to 1 bonus and Aim is 7.1 to 1? Meaning for every 6 points of Cunning / Power I gain 1 healing point compared to Aim which would take 7 points to get 1 point of healing.

Also, have you done this for the other 3 IMP classes? OR know of other links? Like I said this is really useful info. Keep up the hard work and updates.

Unless I am mistaken, Cunning does not add bonus healing at all for a Merc. It only adds Tech Bonus Damage which does nothing for healing, though it does add some tech crit which does. Aim is our only Primary stat to improve healing and it also improves tech crit.

The game is really designed to not give you any benefits from taking the wrong primary stat.

Mercs should likely be looking for Aim, Crit, and Surge as Power has bad returns.

Edited by Lightmgl

Diminishing returns

There is another concept, I am not sure what it is called, but it is the exact opposite of diminishing returns.

It's called exponential growth =) Anyways interesting stats, and also very interesting to read that there might be diminishing returns in the picture, will definitely look into that myself.

Edited by Airees

Can you elaborate on that? I would think that Power would scale well with the other stats since it increases their damage as well.

Ummm without going into too much math it takes more Power than it does for the other stats to gain equal damage once you get into high level gear. Alot of the problems stem from the Poor scaling of power compared to the Primary Stat and the Weapon Damage/Tech Power at higher levels and the fact that Bonus Damage is only applied to the mainhand. As Aim and Weapon Damage/Tech Power increase, Power's effectiveness decreases and Crit/Surge effectiveness increases.

Power is also highly ineffective compared to Crit for both Healing and Arsenal due to synergy with Critical Reaction and Terminal Velocity. Because you are stacking crit to very high amounts because of this (Buffed with my set piece my Tracer Missile has a 54% chance to crit) Surge becomes incredibly effective and also takes very little rating to pump up. Critical Rating without the extra vented heat already adds more damage than Power so once you add the extra heat loss in there it just gets silly. I don't need to rapid shots at all in my single target DPS rotation ever unless I get very unlucky with Unload procs.

The game also seems to have an issue of choice where you often have to pick between high primary stats and secondary stats. Examples of this are the high level gear where you can find Bracers that are 83 Aim and 8 Power vs bracers that are 65 Aim and 23 power. The higher Aim trumps the Power easily.

I will be making my best effort to avoid power and instead find high Aim pieces wherever I can and then using the pieces without high Aim alternatives to get the Accuracy, Crit, and Surge I need. I would love to completely eliminate Power if at all possible for Aim, Accuracy, Crit, and Surge while maintaining the unbuffed 100% acc, 33%-35% crit, and 80%-90% surge. If that is not possible, Power will be the next preferrable stat but it will only be actively sought after if all of the above conditions are met first.

If they want Power to be a viable stat it needs to be much more powerful per point. As long as Weapon Upgrades and Aim make up almost all of the base damage gain then Power will be lackluster. I also don't know if Power diminishes at high levels but I assume it does as every secondary stat in the game seems to diminish, this would make Power even less appealing.

Edited by Lightmgl

Ummm without going into too much math it takes more Power than it does for the other stats to gain equal damage once you get into high level gear. Alot of the problems stem from the Poor scaling of power compared to the Primary Stat and the Weapon Damage/Tech Power at higher levels and the fact that Bonus Damage is only applied to the mainhand. As Aim and Weapon Damage/Tech Power increase, Power's effectiveness decreases and Crit/Surge effectiveness increases.

Hmm, dunno where you get your numbers from, but in my gear (all lvl 136 except for one piece) power still gives me more of an increase than anything. Crit is (redacted)sorta getting close but getting hindered by the fact that it needs to synergize with surge, and the fact that you're pretty much forced into 4set doesn't help.

Having that said though like you I still prefer getting crit because of Skill synergies (btw, if you're getting Critical Reaction as Arsenal, you're doing something wrong). Also worth mentioning that I have like 50% more crit rating than power. Overall though, the entire concept of diminishing returns basically means you don't really want to stack anything.

As an example, switching between my two off-hand weapons (only difference is 60 power/crit) my crit rate changes 1,69%, tracer damage 1,76%, rail shot damage 1,72%, heatseeker 1,63% and unload damage 1,57%. When you add in the fact that my crit only adds 72% more damage in my gear it only effectively gives me a 1,2% increase in damage which is far worse than the increase from power.

Edit: adding the factor I mentioned later and had forgotten my crit weapon actually only gives me around 0.8-0.9% increase.

Edited by Airees

Hmm, dunno where you get your numbers from, but in my gear (all lvl 136 except for one piece) power still gives me more of an increase than anything. Crit is sorta getting close but getting hindered by the fact that it needs to synergize with surge, and the fact that you're pretty much forced into 4set doesn't help.

Having that said though like you I still prefer getting crit because of Skill synergies (btw, if you're getting Critical Reaction as Arsenal, you're doing something wrong). Also worth mentioning that I have like 50% more crit rating than power. Overall though, the entire concept of diminishing returns basically means you don't really want to stack anything.

Naw I was referring to healing when I talked about Critical Reaction. Just saying that Crit synergizes for 2 of our skill trees.

And yeah, the diminishing returns really kicks in and screws stuff up.

I wish we had a combat log or something so we could really parse data. I've been comparing the average hit of my abilities on the tooltips and then mathing in the effect of the critical chance and critical multiplier to make my comparisons. Power hardly seems to move the damage of my skills up at all. Aim adds something like .5 damage to my Tracer missile per point along with the extra crit it provides, Power adds about the same.

That means it takes me about 35 power for a 1% gain in damage currently. It takes me way less crit to get the equivalent of that something like:

29 crit rating per % @ 34% = about 1% crit = critting 2.9% more often with an 80% bonus currently = 2.32% more damage

If I'm doing that right and it excludes the additional damage gained from the heat procs. Power does appear to diminish too, albeit at a slower rate than some of the other stats.

Crit is one of those things that is weird, it becomes less of a gain as you get more of it because the gain becomes less as you are already critting more on top of the diminishing returns. At the level of gear we're getting through and the cheap cost of surge early on it is amazing.

Being forced into 4set is no big deal either. I purchase combat medic pvp gear and I will be stripping it of it's 56 mods to put into my 4pc as soon as I get the last 2 pieces instead. Right now though I am using 2 of those pieces and the earpiece to accuracy cap so I will probably leave those as Acc/Power. I'm even a little wary of the 4pc as reducing heat generation by .5 a second may not even be necessary at the crit levels I have. Getting Combat Medic 2Pc for the extra Energy Shield duration for NM Ops and throwing in better Enhancements is definitely an option too.

Edited by Lightmgl

Hmm, hadn't thought of buying pvp pieces to change mods, good idea =D Also btw, tooltips change dynamically, trying to pull damage numbers manually is pretty pointless.

29 crit rating per % @ 34% = about 1% crit = critting 2.9% more often with an 80% bonus currently = 2.32% more damage.

You're over-inflating the value here with a false stat. The fact that you crit 2.9% more compared to before doesn't end up in 2.9% more damage. Assuming 100% crit bonus, going from 34% to 35% crit isn't even a 1% damage increase, it's closer to .75%. Actually forgot about the "crit doesn't add to crit" factor myself :p

Edited by Airees

Hmm, hadn't thought of buying pvp pieces to change mods, good idea =D Also btw, tooltips change dynamically, trying to pull damage numbers manually is pretty pointless.

Yeah I typed that in a mess, just edited it. Yeah mods are amazing we have alot of options cause of them :).

Crit and Surge are definitely gonna outpace Power until you hit about 800-900 rating or so total invested in them. After that it may swing back to Power. I have no clue what ratio to get them in though. Since most Crit pieces have Surge I try not to worry about it and just aim for the pieces that have both.

Edited by Lightmgl

Oh by the way Power seems to fall into the same trap for healing. In fact it is an even worse trap since it takes even more Power to gain a point of healing but Crit and Surge scale at exactly the same rate as they do for DPS.

I guess something can be said there for consistency and overhealing but most of the heals are small enough in magnitude that unless you are healing a tank while hes above 85%-90% health a crit will probably not overheal as a Merc.

You're over-inflating the value here with a false stat. The fact that you crit 2.9% more compared to before doesn't end up in 2.9% more damage. Assuming 100% crit bonus, going from 34% to 35% crit isn't even a 1% damage increase.

Yeah you're right my math is being dumb. Ugh I'll have to rethink it all now as power is slightly ahead now with the diminishing returns I have and the high crit rate I have.

So after doing it right:

It appears that I need surge more than crit too at this level if I wanted to gain effectiveness. Surge is coming out as being a much larger gain if I do it right. Crit is coming out to like a .64% gain for 29 rating and Surge is coming out to being like a 1.05% gain for 37 rating.

That actually puts the stats much closer, it appears the DR of crit has finally set in making it pretty bad I will probably drop down a few % now. Surge is coming out about equal to Power. I guess that puts the Crit Cap that you'd want somewhere around 30-31% unbuffed.

I'm also overvaluing Power ever so slightly as it seems to have a bit of a worse gain on Ranged abilities like Rail Shot and Unload compared to Tech abilities like Tracer and Heatseeker.

Our set runs into another big problem too as it is wayyyy overitemized on Accuracy. I think I can get a really good balanced set of stats using our 4PC/weapons and our Earpiece combined with the Combat Medic Implants, and Surge/Crit for the 5th armor piece.

All of this is funny because I have a feeling its gonna come out to desiring Crit Rating = Surge Rating = Power for maximum effectiveness with whichever stat is the lowest being the largest gain.

Edited by Lightmgl

So to make it simple, instead of all this comprehending and E=MC2 stuff. My question is.

For Bodyguard pure Healing. Is power good? If so or no, what is the basic order of Stat Priority. Thanks for your time!

For Bodyguard you want power and alacrity.

Ok guys, to clear up some speculation I've dug out some stuff on sithwarrior.com

Credits go for Freehugs and the others to datamine the exact formulae.

For Mercenaries the main calculations (on lvl 50) are these:

Aim Damage Bonus = Aim * 0.2

Tech Power Damage Bonus = Tech Power * 0.23

Power Damage Bonus = Power * 0.23

Crit Chance % = 5 + 30 * ( 1 - ( 1 - ( 0.01 / 0.3 ) )^( ( Aim / 50 ) / 2.5 ) ) + 30 * ( 1 - ( 1 - ( 0.01 / 0.3 ) )^( ( CritRating / 50 ) / 0.45 ) ) + 30 * ( 1 - ( 1 - ( 0.01 / 0.3 ) )^( ( Cunning / 50 ) / 2.5 ) )

Note: Cunning is only added when using Tech Attacks.

Crit Damage Bonus % = 50 + 50 * ( 1 - ( 1 - ( 0.01 / 0.5 ) )^( ( SurgeRating / 50 ) / 0.1 ) )

Basic Accuracy % = 90 + 30 * ( 1 - ( 1 - ( 0.01 / 0.3 ) )^( ( AccuracyRating / 50 ) / 0.55 ) )

You see, the last 3 formulae are very similar and can be generalized this way:

% = Base% + Cap% * (1-(1-(1/Cap%)^((Stat/50)/Modifier) + Additional stuff

If you put those on a excel sheet with some values and plot a curve - you pretty much can see when the diminishing returns kick in (slope going below 1).

Combining all these you'll see that you should stack Aim, CritRating and Surge (and some Accuracy to get the 100%). That's it.

PS: Link to the original thread Freehugs' Thread

Edited by Gorlough