WHY you should be happy they nerfed slicing!

Cracker_Jax

Now I know after they nerfed slicing everyone pretty mad about it that were doing it right.. but here is the positive side:

For example, I have 4,856,342 credits. They are no longer just a meaningless number as the nerf effectively turns off the faucet.

Now.. this has the added affect of just making it difficult for everyone else to obtain the same amount of credits for the same amount of work.

Even If the economy in game picks up and prices stabilize it just increases the perceived value of the credits.

So really the nerf just made us all richer than we were, and keeps newer players from getting as rich as easily as we did, so all we do is win.. see you in the vip lounge.. :smug:

That's exactly my problem. I started playing yesterday. With the huge amount of cash in peoples pockets it effectively starts out new players at a big disadvantage. I'm honestly wondering if it's worth it to keep playing. The people who started 2 weeks ago have the equivalent of probably 3 months of building resources. And I have no effective way to catch up.

That's exactly my problem. I started playing yesterday. With the huge amount of cash in peoples pockets it effectively starts out new players at a big disadvantage. I'm honestly wondering if it's worth it to keep playing. The people who started 2 weeks ago have the equivalent of probably 3 months of building resources. And I have no effective way to catch up.

The wealth will end up trickling down eventually. After all, a player with a huge pocket is going to want to spend that money eventually, and the best way to spend that money is to buy an awesome item off another player through the GTN.

Now I know after they nerfed slicing everyone pretty mad about it that were doing it right.. but here is the positive side:

For example, I have 4,856,342 credits. They are no longer just a meaningless number as the nerf effectively turns off the faucet.

Now.. this has the added affect of just making it difficult for everyone else to obtain the same amount of credits for the same amount of work.

Even If the economy in game picks up and prices stabilize it just increases the perceived value of the credits.

So really the nerf just made us all richer than we were, and keeps newer players from getting as rich as easily as we did, so all we do is win.. see you in the vip lounge.. :smug:

No. The value of credits is at an all-time high right now because people are still leveling. The value will go down steadily until everyone has at least one 50 and the entire server is raking credits at that level (which come much, much faster than they do at 25, 35, even 45.

If Bioware was smart, they would have held off on the nerd and evaluated slicing at that point instead of now, when its profitability is artificially inflated from the current state of server progression.

But hey, maybe they'll buff it at that point when they see it's way, way behind all other gathering skills on top of taking up a mission skill slot without returning any type of raw material.

Wow... Really?

In every MMO ive ever played ive started out with nothing and had to build it up without the help of anything like slicing.

now i note that i dotn think slicing needed that much of a nerf... but still. Its not the end of the world. Do your basic gathering skill and sell the mats. youll get money eventually.

Wow... Really?

In every MMO ive ever played ive started out with nothing and had to build it up without the help of anything like slicing.

now i note that i dotn think slicing needed that much of a nerf... but still. Its not the end of the world. Do your basic gathering skill and sell the mats. youll get money eventually.

The broken state of the GT and the self-sufficiency of non-slicing crafters says hi. Mats aren't selling, except to slicers because they had the requisite combination of a lack of self-sufficiency and credits to spare. Now they'll either drop slicing for their appropriate 3rd crewskill for their crafting, or they'll simply stop buying your stuff because they have no spare credits.

You cannot compare this MMO's economy to another's. When the majority of the pop. had a level 50, slicing could be properly evaluated. Right now it was fulfilling a needed part of SWTOR's economy, an income of credits to spend on the things the dedicated crafters were selling. Now you've got a broken machine, and soon enough those without slicing will start realizing how wrong they were to complain when all those crafted items rot on the GT.

Not when 95% of the server does the same thing.

It takes no time to harvest nodes while out killing (gaining xp and credits). Slicing took long times and the return is poor now.

With all the high priced items in this game you will have a hard time as a new player. Sorry but seen mats going for 100+ each and a crafter can not make a good profit in a crafting field unless they charge outrageous prices also. Lo level mats are easy to come by, flood the market and prices will drop so you wont make that amount of money in a few days when everyone switches to gathering skills.

By nerfing slicing you force everyone into scav or bio. This will kill the economy. Rather have slicing make tons than the rest of the crafting field being gimped.

On a side note, people with slicing before nerf would trickle their profits down.Now you wont have that btw. So for all those crying about slicing (when you could have picked it up or just been happy selling higher priced mats to them) you took away the cash flow. Dumbies.

Now have fun filling the void with the high prices of SWTOR items ;)

Once you reach endgame, there is nothing to spend money on other than consumables and repair bills. All gear upgrades are more or less obtained through dungeons/raids/pvp rather than crafting.

Thats not good for the games economy. And i dont believe that. You will have tons of new players and alts running around. Much more money selling to them than pvp/raids. Millions upon millions play this game, not all rush to 50. And crafters can make some nice items for higher ups as well. Crafting should be a huge part of the game and the economy. Hate games based off of loot and crafting gets put on the back burner.

Slicing was not filling a needed roll. Non-slicers selling mats to money rich slicers is a broken economy because why bother selling mats when you could just be a slicer, not have to bother with GTN, and make EVEN MORE money than you could selling mats?

But that's the thing- as people switched away from crafting, the prices of the mats would increase.

Even with the nerf I still think slicing will make more credits leveling up via free lock boxes all over the place. It's still a very viable skill. Sending companions out on missions probably isn't gonna net much, but I never felt it did in the first place. Most of the credits I picked up were by looting boxes.

So the nerf to slicing was to extreme.

First one must consider that all Slicers were missing Underworld Trading, Diplomacy, or Treasure Hunting. This means they were dependent on the Galactic Market in order to make Blue or Purple items of their crafting skill.

That means that even if 95% of a server was Slicing at some point the other 5% was providing a required service for our crafting and with the competition between Slicers to purchase these Metals, Fabrics, and such allowed gatherer's to pretty much set their own price.

Second is that early numbers are placing the nerf at about 71%. That raw data is saying that your only getting 29% of your previous (prenerf) credit gain. In fact those Slicers that are doing Level 6 missions are coming back with losses. It is actually costing them credits.

It seems the only way is to have 3 companions attempting level 5 lockboxes. Now not including failures. On average you bring in between 1200-2200 credits per box. The average cost is 1200-1295. Which means without a failure you still have a chance for no gain at all. I would say that after having 3 companions farming for 22 minutes average your bringing in about 3k on the top end. Thats about 9k an hour.

9k an hour is barely worth it anymore. And with only 5% of a server grinding up materials to sell on the GE were still paying outrageous prices for those materials.

Even if a large number of players switch to Underworld Trading/Diplomacy/Treasure Hunting all it does is drive down the prices set by the mat gathering players due to a flood of available materials on the GE. Sure it raises the value of the credits on a server but at 1.5 million credits for speeder bikes and such do you really want to make it harder to achieve large amounts of credits?

Well, I have slightly over 120k credits and I have slicing at 400. So now what they did is only benefial to those who started to play early and rush to level 50 to farm empty zones for lockboxes - like You apparently.

So the nerf made ONLY people like You richer. In the long run everybody else lost. Slicers - becouse they now don't have a good source of credits and will have to farm it from mobs and occasional node in the open world, crafters - becouse less people will buy their stuff and they will have to lower their prices, and finaly gatheres - becouse crafters will not have money for mats, money they got from slicers.

I would usually not voice such an unpopular opinion, but honestly the crying about slicing is getting just silly.

IMO the devs never intended for slicing to be a get rich quick method. I believe it was designed to become profitable over time but more importantly, provide access to high level missions and rarer schematics. However, everyone is now crying about getting their allowance cut. The reality is that the crafting system is pretty extensive but I have found that few people as grinding the crafting as much as they are grinding the slicing. I am sure that this, along with much larger than expected bank accounts caused the change in course.

One note of caution - building a thriving in game economy is a tricky thing and at the moment, there is something missing that is stopping the trading from occuring appropriately.

In general, i would say that the resource gathering, loot drops and income are all more generous than other game systems and may be what is hurting the overall economy.

I hope Occupy Coruscant ends soon and everyone gets back to work. I too am sad that I cannot get rich quickly like those that stumbled upon the slicing advantage in early access, but I guess some of us were just meant to work for our fortunes.

and everyone wonders why...

The wealth will end up trickling down eventually. After all, a player with a huge pocket is going to want to spend that money eventually, and the best way to spend that money is to buy an awesome item off another player through the GTN.

Wrong - when the wealthy spend their credits on anything other than the GTN, they disappear.

IMO the devs never intended for slicing to be a get rich quick method. I believe it was designed to become profitable over time but more importantly, provide access to high level missions and rarer schematics. However, everyone is now crying about getting their allowance cut.

This is clearly what the average player without slicing doesnt understand. It wasn't just a nerf to bring us on par with other professions it has actually nerfed Slicing to the point that it is completely unprofitable.

That means NEGATIVE CREDITS.

Negative credits with an average 10% chance to receive a Schematic or Mission is an overall loss across the board. It is actually a money pit.

And before someone spits off at the mouth about selling "High level missions" ask yourself how many have you bought?

So now the rich stay rich and the poor stay poor.

Congratulations, Bioware: You've turned your first MMO into America.

+1.

I'm a slicer. Now I'm too afraid to spend my money until the market stabilizes.

I agree there was a nerf needed, but not this extreme. But, don't get me wrong. SLICING STILL BRINGS IN A LOT OF MONEY. You just have to go out and slice things now and do a farming run every 30 minutes.

I haven't sold a damn thing today on the GTN. I used to sell my mods like hot cake but today...nothing sold. Has anyone have the same problem?

Edited by Teldara

I don't know how the OP managed that kind of money.

I've been using slicing as a trade ever since I started playing on the 17th. My skill is at 400 now and I was making around 50k-75k per day. Which generally was just enough to buy mats for my trade.

At first I thought slicing was stupid but as a played more and more and I leveled, I realized it was a very smart move from BIOWARE. I suppose it could have been nerfed by 20%, but now it's useless.

Now in regard to other trades:

My friend with whom I play this game, used to complain just like everyone else that slicing is imba. I told him that the amount of money I am making he can also make with his trade, but he has to use Galactic Trade Market. I explained to him how to use it, how to sell, how to set prices etc. In just two days he started making around 30-40k credits per day, but only crafting around 4 hours a day and he also doesn't have very good recipes.

Am I mad that they nerfed slicing? Not really, I can just pick another trade. But the way BIOWARE handled the problem is ... bad. I am writing this not so that they change slicing again, but hoping that in the future, they will deal with other problems in a more professional fashion.

Edited by Black_Night

I don't know how the OP managed that kind of money.

I've been using slicing as a trade ever since I started playing on the 17th. My skill is at 400 now and I was making around 50k-75k per day. Which generally was just enough to buy mats for my trade.

At first I thought slicing was stupid but as a played more and more and I leveled, I realized it was a very smart move from BIOWARE. I suppose it could have been nerfed by 20%, but now it's useless.

Now in regard to other trades:

My friend with whom I play this game, used to complain just like everyone else that slicing is imba. I told him that the amount of money I am making he can also make with his trade, but he has to use Galactic Trade Market. I explained to him how to use it, how to sell, how to set prices etc. In just two days he started making around 30-40k credits per day, but only crafting around 4 hours a day and he also doesn't have very good recipes.

Am I mad that they nerfed slicing? Not really, I can just pick another trade. But the way BIOWARE handled the problem is ... bad. I am writing this not so that they change slicing again, but hoping that in the future, they will deal with other problems in a more professional fashion.

Well I AM writing this so they can change slicing again as it's the only way I can see this issue going away.

Nerf slicing but be smart about it.