Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can You All Do Something About the Toxic Conversations in the Gen Chat on the Fleets?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Can You All Do Something About the Toxic Conversations in the Gen Chat on the Fleets?

AlrikFassbauer
01.14.2018 , 07:42 AM | #111
In the end, it all boils down to society's changing. There have been developments in society which made people become more rude in recent times. It has to be found out what long-term developments led to society becoming that rude.

In the end, I fear that we are all part of an GIGANTIC "society experiment" which has been started at one point.

For example here in Germany, ca. 10 years ago there was a shift towards economy and away from social oriented polirtics. Wages were cut, and this created what we call here a "precariate" which has led to people becoming more and more uneasy and unsure about their future - with that low wages - meanwhile the profits of rich people went up. This led into a behaviour of peoplebecoming more and more selfish and rude - even ambulancepersons / paramedics are now attacked by people ! (Especially by drunk people.) Decades before, these helpers were protected by a kind of social taboo, because they were essentially helpers, and everyone could be in need of them one day. But now, they get attacked by aggresive and rude people if they want to help injured people. Not to mention policepersons, who are nowadays getting attacked by aggressive and rude people as well.

This gigantic social experiement can be titlöed as "how develop people when their future becomes more and more uncertain and more and more endangered by poorness because of low wages ?" Rich people just don't care about that, because they can freely move money around in the world so that they won't even pay too much taxes. The burden of taxes lasts on the middle and lower social classes. This social gap expresses itself in more and more toxic and rude behaviour.

People are more and more becoming selfish because ther's the riusk of poorness every day at their door. Uncertainty leads imho to this toxiticy we all see in the chat and in worldwide forums.
Complex minds
will create
Complex problems.

lightSaberAddiCt
01.14.2018 , 01:52 PM | #112
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
In the end, it all boils down to society's changing. There have been developments in society which made people become more rude in recent times. It has to be found out what long-term developments led to society becoming that rude.

In the end, I fear that we are all part of an GIGANTIC "society experiment" which has been started at one point.

For example here in Germany, ca. 10 years ago there was a shift towards economy and away from social oriented polirtics. Wages were cut, and this created what we call here a "precariate" which has led to people becoming more and more uneasy and unsure about their future - with that low wages - meanwhile the profits of rich people went up. This led into a behaviour of peoplebecoming more and more selfish and rude - even ambulancepersons / paramedics are now attacked by people ! (Especially by drunk people.) Decades before, these helpers were protected by a kind of social taboo, because they were essentially helpers, and everyone could be in need of them one day. But now, they get attacked by aggresive and rude people if they want to help injured people. Not to mention policepersons, who are nowadays getting attacked by aggressive and rude people as well.

This gigantic social experiement can be titlöed as "how develop people when their future becomes more and more uncertain and more and more endangered by poorness because of low wages ?" Rich people just don't care about that, because they can freely move money around in the world so that they won't even pay too much taxes. The burden of taxes lasts on the middle and lower social classes. This social gap expresses itself in more and more toxic and rude behaviour.

People are more and more becoming selfish because ther's the riusk of poorness every day at their door. Uncertainty leads imho to this toxiticy we all see in the chat and in worldwide forums.
I agree that society (at least US society) has become rude, and self serving. But at the same time, it has produced people that are overly sensitive to even the slightest perception of a slight, or seeing some text that they may find offensive, and try their best to censor it. Both sides are guilty, one side says the other are "snowflakes" and the other side uses insulting terms like CIS white male (that is my favorite of all stupid terms), racist (where some are, but some aren't) etc.

Both sides are at fault, so what do we end up with....a super rude, troll society on one side, and a super sensitive, censor ANYTHING that may possibly be uncomfortable to me on the other.
Just Click It for Free Stuff I need the CC
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hj4n32

DarthEnrique
01.14.2018 , 02:23 PM | #113
Another cheese off, saw someone blasting mine and another person’s business in the fleet chat under one of my alts calling the other person a catfisher and I said nothing as I didn't want people to know it was me but it is disgusting how bad this chat is in the game, I get the person is trying to help keep others from falling into it but honestly why drag the person (me in this case) into it and why do people got to argue about it? This is just absolute toxicity in this game.
Trying to help my friend Ultimatedshadow out, please click his referral link. Thanks. http://www.swtor.com/r/5YzVTH

DarthEnrique
01.14.2018 , 02:28 PM | #114
Quote: Originally Posted by Jdast View Post
I know I'm late to the game in this thread, and it is true that I haven't read all the responses. Let's also stipulate that the internet doesn't convey sarcasm well, or -- in this case -- lack thereof.

To DWho and DEnrique, what do you want to use general chat for? That's not being snarky. The first thing I do when creating a character is set my chat tabs, and I ALWAYS turn general chat off. I'm a vet of WoW Barrens chat, I know there is nothing to be gained by engaging.

If you're looking for a channel to find like-minded folks to group -- create one! Word will spread. Ditto with RP.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your diagnosis. But I think you are swimming upstream and / or playing whack-a-mole.

To wit: General Chat will always be a toxic cesspool. Given there are alternatives to mitigate the problem, why not utilize them?

Hugs,

Dasty
I watch the gen chat mostly for opportunities to do OPS groups or form them, other than that I don’t even talk in it.
Trying to help my friend Ultimatedshadow out, please click his referral link. Thanks. http://www.swtor.com/r/5YzVTH