UI Feedback: Tooltips

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

One of the things you may have noticed is that with the Onslaught expansion we are making a number of UI improvements. Some of these are improvements on existing systems, others are completely new interfaces for new systems. Reminder that all of this is still a work in progress so don't focus your feedback too much on visual fidelity and focus on functionality. Also, please avoid gameplay feedback as we are really seeking thoughts about the interface only in this thread.

Please share your feedback on tooltips. The types of feedback we are looking for:

• Is all of the information you expect to be present on your tooltip, there?
  • Is the information clear when comparing two items?
  • Do you understand why you are seeing a colored arrow on equipment?

Those are just some examples, share any thoughts you have!

Thanks.

-eric

Is the information clear when comparing two items?

It's a lot less clear now, when it compares every single stat instead of comparing the summary of all stats like it always was before. Please consider returning to only compare the sum of all stats. Or using both methods at once, at least.

Edited by Gelious

Is all of the information you expect to be present on your tooltip, there?

Credit price when vendoring has disappeared entirely from the tooltip, and current durability is expressed as a percentage rather than actual numbers (ie 90% vs 108/120)

There's already the 'badge' above the character portrait that warns you when you have equipped items of a low durability percentage, it just seems like unnecessary duplication of information to have tooltips show percentages of durability instead of raw values

Echoing what the previous poster said, not nearly as clear as it is on live, being able to use both systems of comparison, or even both systems of tooltip display via a preferences toggle would be greatly appreciated

Do you understand why you are seeing a colored arrow on equipment?

Yes

Hey folks,

One of the things you may have noticed is that with the Onslaught expansion we are making a number of UI improvements. Some of these are improvements on existing systems, others are completely new interfaces for new systems. Reminder that all of this is still a work in progress so don't focus your feedback too much on visual fidelity and focus on functionality. Also, please avoid gameplay feedback as we are really seeking thoughts about the interface only in this thread.

Please share your feedback on tooltips. The types of feedback we are looking for:

Those are just some examples, share any thoughts you have!

Thanks.

-eric

I literally made a thread for this last night. So I’ll just post what I put in that :

Changes to the new description panels when you hover over Armor or items like med packs etc are difficult to see now compared to the live versions.

As someone in their 40s with an eye condition, I find it very difficult to comfortably read the new text and the size is smaller too. That is on 3x 24” LED monitors. 5760x1080

My wife also has problems and she only wears glasses to game with has to take them off and sit forward to read the new text. This isn’t the case in the live game.

After doing a number of hours testing the eye strain gave me a headache and I had to stop. My wife ended up with a sore neck and had to keep taking her glasses on and off.

There is also an inconsistency between the old description pop ups and the new.

When you hover over your abilities the old description panel pops up where youve placed it (for me off to the side) with the usual text and format as live.

When you move your mouse over a med pack or stim in your task bar, the new type of description panel pops up and it’s right in the middle of everything, blocking out everything behind it and they are so large that they can even block out part of your character or what you are fighting.

These mismatched and mixed description panels do not mesh together. I personally don’t like the new panels because they are too large and the test/format is too smaller for me. But if you intend to keep them, you need to make the old ones the same and allow those panels to be moved out of the way, the same as you can with the older type ones.

The new designs also don’t display the set bonuses on the old gear. I don’t know if this is a bug or intended.

Please revert to the old style of UI panels or increase the text/format size.

One of the biggest problems for me is they are visually harder to see for someone with less than perfect eye sight because of the smaller font. It causes eye strain.

There is plenty of information on the tabs, except the set bonuses for the old gear doesn’t seem to show up.

Edit: has anyone with a 4K monitor or high res monitor looked at font and size yet? I can only imagine the 4K people won’t be able to see much at all.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

It's a lot less clear now, when it compares every single stat instead of comparing the summary of all stats like it always was before. Please consider returning to only compare the sum of all stats. Or using both methods at once, at least.

I second this.

Which kind of tooltips do you mean? The ones in the inventory or the ones in the action bars?

Inventory tooltips:

I honestly understand them worse than how they currently are. Was the current version bad or why did you feel the need to change the design?

One thing I really would like to see: Mark the item which is equipped. If I mouse over a relic in the inventory, I get to see 3 relics. While I can guess that the left one is the inventory one and the two on the right are the equipped ones, it would make me feel much more secure if the two right ones would actually state "currently equipped". If I am not mistaken, this is how it is right now. So again, my question is: What's so bad about it that you deleted that message? Please add it again.

The other thing is that sometimes the items show wrong comparisions. I just posted about this bug yesterday. Like, I had the Sha'tek (?) boots equipped and it showed me that the Onderonion (?; forgot the name, but I mean the entry level green 270 set) would have some 300 points more mastery. However, the 270s set has some 580 mastery and the Sha'tek some 600. But in the comparision tooltip / mouseover window, the Sha'tek is shown with some 300 mastery, even though the mods themselves show the different stats. If this is a bug, please fix it. If this is working as intended, please explain how this works, so that I can try to understand it. Either way, the boots show a green arrow, even though its stats are worse.

Yes, no, maybe, I don't know. Depends on your answer to my questions above.

Are there more arrows than the green one pointing upwards? :confused:

Regarding tooltips in the action bars: As I pointed out in my thread from yesterday, please move all the tooltips to the right side of the screen. Having e. g. the Life Day Orb's big tooltip blocking 4 action bar rows (in my UI setup) is highly irritating and can also cause problems when in a tight fight situation. The fix is to show all action bar's tooltip at the same spot as the actual action tooltips.

I posted this in another thread and thought it be better suited here:

If your up for adding something that is QoL and useful.... How about putting the price of all items that sells to vendors in the pop up tooltip? When I'm out in the field, not near a vendor, my inventory is full, and I need to throw something away to make room for something more valuable. I can't see what the price of the item is. When I have the GTN window open, I have to close it, click on a vendor to see the price it sells for, close that window, then go back and reopen the GTN to sell it. That would be really useful.:D

If your up for adding something that is QoL and useful.... How about putting the price of all items that sells to vendors in the pop up tooltip? When I'm out in the field, not near a vendor, my inventory is full, and I need to throw something away to make room for something more valuable. I can't see what the price of the item is. When I have the GTN window open, I have to close it, click on a vendor to see the price it sells for, close that window, then go back and reopen the GTN to sell it. That would be really useful.:D

This is like something that I use in a WoW classic addon that’s been around for 15 years. Not sure how hard it would be to implement in this system, but I know it is certainly helpful to have.