Ran Karagga's 8man Hard Mode: 7/8 Rakata drops were Smuggler

Bioware, this needs to be fixed. Assuming each Rakata piece always drops and each piece is rolled for independently, there are 4^8=65536 possibilities. 24 of those possibilities are 7/8 smuggler, and 1 of another class. 24/65536=0.0366%.

This means either:

1. Certain classes are favored over others

OR

2. Something in the loot tables is broken.

Whatever the case, this needs to be fixed. We had one smuggler who got 7 pieces of loot (not counting all of the exotech that he got too). He couldn't even use 3 of them because they were dupes.

Edit: Fixed the math using the assumption that there are 8 independent rolls for loot.

Edited by kaysond

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya we just ran hard modes this weekend as well and we had an unusually high amount of IA gear too. The first weekend we missed it, but my IA friend pretty well said he got 4 Rakata drops just from EV alone.

The game does seem to have a strange loot tendency, as much as people cry random, the numbers seem to indicate otherwise.

Probability, look it up.

Consistency, look it up.

It's only random probability when you don't detect easy to see patterns. As many people seem to be reporting this is more than just some random once or twice happening, but consistently is showing a bias towards a certain class getting drops. It would be foolish to think it was just random when it consistently shows to be happening.

I have to agree IA/Smuggler seems to drop more often. Last week we brought in a fresh 50 into hard modes to fill for our usual agent, and in one run, he was done with gear, all armor pieces, 2 main hands and offhand, from HM KP and HM EV.

Back in December when my guild first started running, we didn't have any agents in our group and after about two weeks, most of the group's agent type companions were decked out in gear, far more geared than any actual players in the group.

While there's a good chance that its just the RNG, but sometimes when a pattern consistently repeats itself, you start to wonder...

Consistency, look it up.

It's only random probability when you don't detect easy to see patterns. As many people seem to be reporting this is more than just some random once or twice happening, but consistently is showing a bias towards a certain class getting drops. It would be foolish to think it was just random when it consistently shows to be happening.

That's because the only people posting about it are the ones who are at the extremes. The people getting the other probability outcomes are too content and busy playing the game.

That's because the only people posting about it are the ones who are at the extremes. The people getting the other probability outcomes are too content and busy playing the game.

I would love to, but we have the same Problem. Our Smuggler already start to gear up their 3rd companion with Rakata, while alot not even got the first part.

Around 75% of all loot we get in each run is for Smuggler.

Maybe we have as well only bad luck, but every time?

Last time I compared actual upgrade drops (we're having way to many rots or companion seeds now for it to be valid now) it was disturbingly even.

That said, our two regular Agents (me and another) had the most items / person, but, well, having a theoretical 25% drop-rate and a 12.5% presence (on 16 man) would theoretically net us more drops per person.

So, having a singular Agent/Smuggler at raids (which does not seem uncommon) would generally - surprise, surprise - mean they'll get geared faster than any class having 2-3 people present. Add some random skewness and it might seem worse than it is.

Our last run (8-man), I think about 50% of all drops were Sith Warrior, including two main-hands. Thankfully, we actually had one in need of gear.

But we've had 4 Bounty Hunter pants drop from Pylons, and 3 SW items from a lot of bosses. Beyond our first Karagga the Unyielding 8 man kill, we've never actually had double-agent drops.

Random loot always seems weird and with the huge amount of operations going, someone is bound to find the strange deviations.

All that said, there might be something fishy about it (like claiming that Voidstar ties are resolved by random, when everyone on my server seems to agree that a tie = 100% Republic win).

Probability, look it up. That's going to happen. In fact, there will be a run that is 8/8

and a run that's 0/8

and 1/8

ect.

**** happens. Come back next week.

I have stopped running HM FPs back in the day because 95% of drops were smuggler (and we had no smuggler in the groups).

Probability. Yeah.

This week again (and its been that for a while) - at least (>)60-70% of drops - smuggler. In fact lot of people cunning companions are much better geard than them (4-5 rakata pieces), and we joke that they should send them instead their character, or that we will just send our companions to raid cause they have better gear and feed us gear :D

That doesnt happen in one night.

Edited by GrandMike

So maybe it is time to cut bullsh*t about random generator and admit that Loot System is somewhat broken.

It is obvious that something is wrong since there is a noticable overload of agent drops, which looks to consistent to be random.

Also there are multiple Cunning drops on the runs without any Agent/Smuggler. It is simply wrong. Why in earth would i like to gear companion I dont ever use instead of some player who dont have any piece, and we are forced to do so.

2 or 3 days ago we did 2 HM FP without any Agent and both drops were cunning.... waisted evening.

One of many reasons I dont plan on renewing acces...

I think the loot tables are definitely somewhat broken! My guild and I have now done, 4 or 5 HM EV's, 1 NM EV, and 2 or 3 HM KP's (plus additional late night runs too, unsure of how many but from what I've heard, no warrior gear drops on them either). And from all of these runs only 2 Warrior gear pieces have dropped as opposed to a healthy supply of every other classes gear! Both of our BH's are now in pretty much full rakata, couple of our inquis are in mostly full rakata, and others on their way. Whereas Warriors, well, me and a Jug have 1 piece each.

First few runs it was a little amusing, but now it's getting somewhat frustrating!

The Jug and I even sent tickets about this too, asking surely this is not working as intended? They replied to my ticket with a message absolutely nothing to do with the issue at hand and ticket closed. Whereas for my Jug friend, still no reply to the ticket at all (and we sent in the tickets within minutes of eachother). No news is good news right?

NM KP tonight though! Wish me luck eh...

Maybe its some shifty voodoo about class representation in game.

Specualtion: Class balance in a vision of bioware :o

Silly bioware for not knowing everyone was going inquisitor.

Of cause they could have a system that selected two people in the group to give class appropriate loot to. That would mean everyone had an even chance of getting loot off a boss no matter what group composition they ran with. Hmm that seems fair I bet nobody would complain about that system. ;)

Edited by Aestel

Bioware, this needs to be fixed. Assuming each Rakata piece always drops and has an equal chance of being for any class, there are 4^8=65536 possibilities. 3 of those possibilities are 7/8 smuggler, and 1 of another class. 3/65535=0.0046%.

So in other words, it's mathematically possible.

Unlikely, but then it wouldn't be a very good RNG system if you didn't occasionally get the weird outliers.

Long story short, RNG is RNG.

I ran a hm KP with 7 SI and 1 IA three weeks ago. We got 2 IA tokens, all the rest were SW and BH (mostly BH), so completely useless.

Now that does not make me say, as others here, that there is a better chance of BH gear dropping, even though I do get that feeling sometimes.

I know it is RNG. But that is precisely the problem. What purpose does it serve to drop so many BH tokens when there are no BH in the raid, and 0 SI token with 7 waiting for a loot ? Is it Bioware's way of saying "screw you morons, don't invite your friends and go in a balanced raid" ?

It's random.

I'm an IA, and my tokens NEVER drop.

No RANDOM is not RANDOM.

RNG = a system which requires an initial seed and generates pseudo-random (not random) numbers. For people who dont understand it uses an algorithm to create numbers which look like they would be random. If the initial seed is always the same you gonna get the same numbers.

If you dont believe me just look up.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/system.random.aspx

http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/clibrary/cstdlib/srand/

And thats what im sure happens with the random generator of SW:TOR.

The srand() function is not properly initialized so you propably will get always a bh/smuggler/ia loot.

Believe me we could have geared up like 4-5 agents and our sorcs/assassins arent even full rakata yet. Oh and our Warrior (the only one) just got full rakata.

No RANDOM is not RANDOM.

RNG = a system which requires an initial seed and generates pseudo-random (not random) numbers. For people who dont understand it uses an algorithm to create numbers which look like they would be random. If the initial seed is always the same you gonna get the same numbers.

If you dont believe me just look up.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/system.random.aspx

http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/clibrary/cstdlib/srand/

And thats what im sure happens with the random generator of SW:TOR.

The srand() function is not properly initialized so you propably will get always a bh/smuggler/ia loot.

Believe me we could have geared up like 4-5 agents and our sorcs/assassins arent even full rakata yet. Oh and our Warrior (the only one) just got full rakata.

No, it's actually random. Why over think something so simple? RNG = RANDOM number generator. Same as a "roll"

How do people not understand this by now?

no, it's actually random. Why over think something so simple? Rng = random number generator. Same as a "roll"

how do people not understand this by now?

look it up.

Im a programmer i should know.

THE COMPUTER CAN NOT GENERATE RANDOM NUMBERS.

Edited by HellFlame

No, it's actually random. Why over think something so simple? RNG = RANDOM number generator. Same as a "roll"

How do people not understand this by now?

While I agree that there probably isn't anything wrong with the loot tables and some groups are just getting the short end of the stick, you are incorrect about the RNG being random.

A truly "random" number generator is impossible, because the roll is based on an algorithm which dictates what can be rolled, and actually manipulated.

For example, in the Pokemon games, there is a complex RNG which selects which pokemon you will fight in the wild, what their stats will be, and even if they will be offcolored (shiny) or not. People use their knowledge of how the RNG creates its initial seed (what it bases its roll off of) to manipulate this and get pokemon they desire with the stats they desire. The difference here it that the seed likely is beyond complex, and so we have no reasonable hope of trying to manipulate it for the loot we want. That's what RNGs appear to be random - usually the seed creation process is so hard to understand that it's just not worth it to do. Nothing computers do can ever be random, because they rely on the algorithms programmed into them to find that number for the drop table.

Heres RNG for you.

I've ran HM False Emp 12 times now. (I'm an Inquis)

Chest drops:

4 - Agent

6 - BH

1 - Warrior

A guildie has ran it several times as well. (He's an Agent)

His chest drops

8 - Warrior

7 - Inquis

After 12 runs I still don't have mine. He finally got his on run #16.

I say again, RNG is RANDOM

Edited by Alchropie